maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nokia Ovi Store will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88236)

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-12-13 05:30

Nokia Ovi Store will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore

Quoting an email from nokia :

{
Recently we are going to deploy an upgrade of store billing to improve the billing in China, but unfortunately as a side effect of this, we will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore.

We contact you because you’ve published excellent apps into N9, China, but as a result of above, we have to take down all your paid content lived on N9 China shortly:

· If your content is published into China only ,then it will be unpublished(for the user who ever purchased your content before, it still can be re-downloaded via store)

· If your content is published into areas including China, then only China distribution will be rejected and won’t affect other areas.

There is no action required but inform you about this. If you still wish to have your N9 content published into China, please make it a free version and resubmit it.

We apologize for the lost caused by this and thank you for being a valued publisher!

}

How to deal with this ?

UPDATE :

{
Kindly be advised that we are updating our system to provide better service for Nokia Store publishers. Please also be informed that In-app Advertising are restricted in China. For more information regarding restrictions in China, kindly use the link below and select "Guidelines and Restrictions".

http://support.publish.nokia.com/?cat=6&topic=45
}

{

Please be informed that this is allowed if you will use the In-app Purchase feature. For more information regarding IAP, kindly refer to the link below.

http://support.publish.nokia.com/?cat=6&topic=57

}

I also asked about "ads supported" gratis apps ...

Jolla might have its own store too , I am wondering if it will installable on harmattan too ?

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/publish

tortoisedoc 2012-12-13 05:33

Re: Nokia Ovi Store will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore

Just got notified as well. Seriously. SERIOUSLY! WHAT THE F*CK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1303995)
Quoting an email from nokia :

{
Recently we are going to deploy an upgrade of store billing to improve the billing in China, but unfortunately as a side effect of this, we will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore.

We contact you because you’ve published excellent apps into N9, China, but as a result of above, we have to take down all your paid content lived on N9 China shortly:

· If your content is published into China only ,then it will be unpublished(for the user who ever purchased your content before, it still can be re-downloaded via store)

· If your content is published into areas including China, then only China distribution will be rejected and won’t affect other areas.

There is no action required but inform you about this. If you still wish to have your N9 content published into China, please make it a free version and resubmit it.

We apologize for the lost caused by this and thank you for being a valued publisher!

}

How to deal with this ?

TMavica 2012-12-13 05:51

Re: Nokia Ovi Store will lose billing support on N9, which means content on N9 can’t be billed in China anymore

This is a long issues, as I read many China N9 forum, they always mentioned they cant be pay, all they do is find deb anywhere.

tortoisedoc 2012-12-13 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1303998)
This is a long issues, as I read many China N9 forum, they always mentioned they cant be pay, all they do is find deb anywhere.

Nothing that in-app purchases would not fix IMO...this is a very good example of how Nokia drops the problem on the devs shoulders!

TMavica 2012-12-13 05:59

China always restrict many things, example: in china, you cant access twitter, facebook, Youtube etc

The problem I think China restricted something

tortoisedoc 2012-12-13 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1304000)
China always restrict many things, example: in china, you cant access twitter, facebook, Youtube etc

The problem I think China restricted something

That is true; but still it does not explain why they would need to "excuse" this blockage with a store "upgrade" problem.

TMavica 2012-12-13 06:10

um..um..

By the way, your apps deb is spread all around China forum

TMavica 2012-12-13 06:13

@rzr, I saw your redak text editor deb got a thousand downloads in a china forum.....

All the replyer said 'Thanks' to that share guy

thedead1440 2012-12-13 06:13

It must be a Nokia issue; they have just launched the Lumia series there with WP8 Marketplace with paid apps... Surely they have billing support for them right so why remove for the N9? Just because they want to shut down services... Stupid PR move from Nokia...

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-12-13 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1304003)
@rzr, I saw your redak text editor deb got a thousand downloads in a china forum.....

All the replyer said 'Thanks' to that share guy

The funny thing is that those pple prefer to dl something from an obscure forum than picking the upstream version to download gratis in my place :-)

Just curious can you tell me this forum url , I will like to join and say it's ok guys you can steal me :) but I am here and open to existing ideas ... a localisation file would help too .... (or relay this sentence in Chinese )

Do you think publishing crapified version with ads could help ... I dont want to spend some time on this ad bizness but this could be an alternative ... so any experiences worth to be studied ... anyone ? any apps use ads ?

I am also wondering if this is affecting all nokia platforms : symbian etc

TMavica 2012-12-13 06:27

You know read chinese..? There is many china forum I can saw your apps, now most hit download is CepiPerez FileCase, it got near 10000 downloads

Most big forum
http://bbs.dospy.com
http://www.n9rj.com

TMavica 2012-12-13 06:28

I dont know other platform is same issue or not
let me check it out

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-12-13 06:35

no I cant read it, but I can try to translate it using tools :)

Khertan 2012-12-13 06:53

i also see my apps on Chinese and Russian forum. most funny thing is that to share it, they bought at least one time on ovi store. i found that funny, as they are also freely distributed on apps for Meego. :p

don't bother with crappy ads version, there is simple way to block it: for example pointing ads server to localhost in hosts file.

Personally i made free apps, free as libre. i distribute them for free as 0$ and a low price at the same time.
So it's a choice of the user to bought them, it's like a donation.

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-12-13 07:06

someone who is able to edit /etc/hosts is smart enough to pick the upstream floss gratis binary and install it :-)

yes dual distribution sounds good ... but I wanted to avoid delivering gratis apps trough a unlibre channel ... so gratis trough libre appsformeego , and pay through unfree ovi ...

this is call for motivation to join the movement ...

but what is happening here is pure warez but I dont want to be part of it because i am sure it will cost a lot to users , let say those binaries are infected with malware (trojan from any mafia or gov), the social point is too big to be blindly accepted... even more at larger scale ...

I'll be curious to have feedback from the Chinese pple over here...

mdbxh 2012-12-13 07:45

bad news !
Software stores in China, it is difficult to pay successful
I think it may be because the SP service provider
Developer can be using the SN,it can also avoid pirate
we can buy it for a guy, then the guy can pay for you by PayPal
Gravity is a good example

mdbxh 2012-12-13 07:52

1.F.uck Chinese government
2.F.uck Chinese nokia

MartinK 2012-12-13 08:15

Well, I for example got Chinese localization of Mieru from a random guy in China per email, even without asking. :)

Also found quite a few Chinese threads about Mieru, but that was before I fixed the Ovi regional availability so that Mieru would properly show up in the store. BTW, the forums are quite readable using Google Translate - just translate it directly to English, as that seems to give the best results.

Anyway, still quite a letdown from Nokia. Even thou all my apps on Ovi are free (in both meanings), most of the downloads are from China. And I expect that the situation for paid apps is probably similar, which really isn't nice for the publishers.

ajalkane 2012-12-13 08:32

Oh noes, China was one of my best customers :) !

It's strangely gratifying feeling knowing N9 is the last Nokia I'll be doing software for.

sony123 2012-12-13 09:06

I also got the mail and thought "Stupid Nokia...."
No ad in China then no paid app. In-app purchase might be the way to go but honestly with no future in Nokia Store, I won't rush to implement IAP. Besides, the price in China is set rather low (one sale in US = 6 sales in China) that losing China isn't that bad.

I hope Jolla Store will be more reasonable...

mkleung 2012-12-13 10:30

I believe Jolla store will be well implemented in china because China is one of jolla's launch markets for its upcoming handset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sony123 (Post 1304056)
I also got the mail and thought "Stupid Nokia...."
No ad in China then no paid app. In-app purchase might be the way to go but honestly with no future in Nokia Store, I won't rush to implement IAP. Besides, the price in China is set rather low (one sale in US = 6 sales in China) that losing China isn't that bad.

I hope Jolla Store will be more reasonable...

lovewilliam 2012-12-13 10:30

nokia is killing N9

myname24 2012-12-13 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovewilliam (Post 1304080)
nokia is killing N9

Too late . Nokia killed N9 long ago .

otto1230 2012-12-13 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr (Post 1304008)
The funny thing is that those pple prefer to dl something from an obscure forum than picking the upstream version to download gratis in my place :-)

Just curious can you tell me this forum url , I will like to join and say it's ok guys you can steal me :) but I am here and open to existing ideas ... a localisation file would help too .... (or relay this sentence in Chinese )

Do you think publishing crapified version with ads could help ... I dont want to spend some time on this ad bizness but this could be an alternative ... so any experiences worth to be studied ... anyone ? any apps use ads ?

I am also wondering if this is affecting all nokia platforms : symbian etc

@zrz,
iam just a senior high student from china.my english is not well so i cant get mean of every word you say.....if you like .you an send me an email and i want to talk with you.i swear i havent dl any deb which isnot free....and i could tell you the url you wander.(it is better in chinese)

otto1230 2012-12-13 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdbxh (Post 1304032)
1.F.uck Chinese government
2.F.uck Chinese nokia

i am a chinese student in china and i want f**k chinese goverment too~~~~~~

chrm 2012-12-13 13:10

Come on guys, don't try to f**k the goverment, they are all ugly ;)

But for me there is a real existing problem with the chinese "market". There are thousands of offline-dictionary downloads from china. In comparison, there are 2 payed DingMee downloads from the store :(

Thats the reason I will block connections from china to my web server. My account covers only 100GiB/month, every MiB more will be very expensive.

ste-phan 2012-12-13 14:37

TOR has been available for the N900 very early, how about the N9?

if you install TOR on the N9
rout OVI store or how is it called these days over TOR with non Chinese identity.
can you then download a paid app by credit card payment method?

But I wonder if the most popular payment method in China is credit card.. Probably phone operator billing?

chrm 2012-12-13 14:59

TOR is an anonymity network. Never, NEVER use it to send personalized data, like logins or credit card info!

ste-phan 2012-12-13 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrm (Post 1304166)
TOR is an anonymity network. Never, NEVER use it to send personalized data, like logins or credit card info!

I think the point here is that you just hide your location to get the option to buy stuff that is normally denied in China?
First you have to ask yourself: is it life threatening to try purchase an app on that ******ed ovi store,

if yes, ok then don't send your credit card info.

In General if I had to follow your advice (which is good as a rule of thumb) I could never anonymously login via TOR to post on a forum / social network / service that requires any form of registration.

shinogami 2012-12-13 15:36

Whatever happened to Nokia supporting the N9 until 2015..

MartinK 2012-12-13 15:38

Looks like we got on Slashdot - the article even links to this thread. :)

EDIT:
Quote: