maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Spare battery for Jolla (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92226)

xkkkx 2013-12-31 13:11

Spare battery for Jolla

Does anyone know where to get a spare battery for Jolla? I already tried to google around but haven't found any...:(

rainisto 2013-12-31 13:14

Re: Spare battery for Jolla

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkkkx (Post 1402470)
Does anyone know where to get a spare battery for Jolla? I already tried to google around but haven't found any...:(

Currently nowhere, in future hopefully those will be available in webshop.

Dave999 2013-12-31 13:17

Get an external battery/charger?

xkkkx 2013-12-31 13:22

I already have one but I'd just like to have one spare battery :)

youmeego 2014-01-01 01:11

i would like to get a spare battery too

hana 2014-01-01 13:46

I made a product request to DealExtreme but they haven't answered yet :D

biatch0 2014-01-01 13:48

Well, seeing as Jolla themselves don't have any accessories available (I've asked for TOH/battery)... I doubt that anywhere else online/offline have them :rolleyes:

minimos 2014-01-01 14:14

The battery included with the Jolla is labeled as "Manufacturer: NLT ELECTRONICS" and "Model 22B50".
You may try to contact e.g. some Taobao agent and see if they can find it for you.

xkkkx 2014-01-01 15:27

it's not that urgent, if it will be available in Jolla store, I just wait...:cool:

Dave999 2014-01-01 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkkkx (Post 1402774)
it's not that urgent, if it will be available in Jolla store, I just wait...:cool:

I think it will be available in jStore soon. If jolla battery is like the rest of the batteries it will be swollen pretty fast if you push it.

youmeego 2014-01-02 16:38

Mugen battery for jolla will be welcomed

smatkovi 2014-01-03 19:29

yes i also want a mugen power jolla battery :)

smatkovi 2014-01-03 19:35

i read here that its hardware is similar to sgs4 http://www.jollausers.com/2013/10/talktime/ so i thought maybe the battery is the same, but i saw on mugen power that it's only almost the same, it has almost the same shape, but the jolla battery has 3 instead of 4 pins...

jameson 2014-01-11 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by smatkovi (Post 1403475)
i read here that its hardware is similar to sgs4 http://www.jollausers.com/2013/10/talktime/ so i thought maybe the battery is the same, but i saw on mugen power that it's only almost the same, it has almost the same shape, but the jolla battery has 3 instead of 4 pins...

The battery has exactly the same width and height as SGS3 but is slightly thinner, and has 3 contacts (I guess the fourth contact on the SGS3 is for NFC), which are closer to the edge on the Jolla than on the SGS3.

richardski 2014-01-12 08:56

In the meantime the life of Lithium batteries is greatly extended by not letting then deeply discharge or get overly warm or cold.

Even in storage out of a device the internal safety circuit draws current to monitor the battery voltage which causes self discharge and if the voltage drops below the safe point then for safety the battery is terminated and cannot be recharged. So just don't leave them lying around or in devices, which nowadays do not seem to have a physical on/off switch so always draw current, and recharge them at least two or three times a year if they are not in a daily use cycle.

That Jolla has a user replaceable battery is a brilliant Unique Selling Point and a great feature for those who like to visit remote places.

Also remove the battery and neither the MNO or state security will know where you are until you repower your phone:)

Richard

F2thaK 2014-01-12 09:07

Actually L-ion batteries should be charged at least every 3 months, I have an LED torch that the instructions say to charge whenever not in use.

richardski 2014-01-13 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1405772)
Actually L-ion batteries should be charged at least every 3 months, I have an LED torch that the instructions say to charge whenever not in use.

Setting a 3 month reminder in the Calendar for recharging Lithium batteries would be good. Max life is obtained if residual discharge capacity does not go below 75 to 80%.

Richard

iggy 2014-08-14 14:28

Re: Spare battery for Jolla - no spare battery to buy

Hi,

I damaged my battery. I was just to supid to put the battery in a right way into the phone. The strip of plastic where the contacts are broke.

I tried to get a spare battery via Jolla Support.

They replied that It is not possible to buy one. I have to
send the phone now to Jolla via a "out of warranty repair" to get
a new battery :mad:

hope they will change this policy soon.

iggy...

Fellfrosch 2014-08-14 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy (Post 1435740)

iggy...

That's ridiculous I can't understand why they don't offer spare batteries. Sending the whole device in because of a broken battery is miserably wrong :eek::mad:

Casanunda 2014-08-14 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1435741)
That's ridiculous I can't understand why they don't offer spare batteries. Sending the whole device in because of a broken battery is miserably wrong :eek::mad:

Especially for a phone which is advertised as having a user-replacable battery.

nieldk 2014-08-14 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy (Post 1435740)
Hi,

I damaged my battery. I was just to supid to put the battery in a right way into the phone. The strip of plastic where the contacts are broke.

I tried to get a spare battery via Jolla Support.

hope they will change this policy soon.

iggy...

gotta be kiddin' ?
how can they seriously expect anyone to even slightly accept that.
I dont think that company will survive the end of this year with their history of support

nieldk 2014-08-18 13:34

So, after a small conversation on twitter:
1. Jolla could sell spare batteries
2. They dont want to, to with-hold batteries for repairs
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)

aegis 2014-08-18 13:55

Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk. These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.

nieldk 2014-08-18 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1436127)
Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk. These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.

Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...25#post1436125

jalyst 2014-08-18 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1436124)
So, after a small conversation on twitter:
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)

I do hope you've got all that 100% correct.
To me it's a bit unclear what you're saying (in it's entirety).
What epic #FAIL, so disappointed... :(

jalyst 2014-08-18 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1436128)
Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...25#post1436125

Very sorry to hear that dude... :(

juiceme 2014-08-18 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1436124)

Now this is pretty strange I admit. I'd like to order a spare battery, "just in case" even as my original battery is in good shape.

What's the real benefit on having a removable battery if there's no way to get replacements, huh?

Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?

jalyst 2014-08-18 15:06

The other points he raised were also (somewhat) confounding to me.
As I understood them at least...

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1436136)
Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?

One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...

juiceme 2014-08-18 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1436137)
One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...

The transportation requirements only concern private persons, there are different rules for companies.
There exist tens of companies that I know of, which you can mail-order either single li-ion cells or compound batteries meant for consumer devices...

Fellfrosch 2014-08-18 16:02

If they really just don't want to sell batteries. I'm completely confused.:eek::confused:
That would be a worst case scenario. That would mean Jolla have cheated us:mad:. I don't want to believe that:(. A replaceable battery is one of the essentials for me for EVERY battery driven device! If i can't get a spare battery that will be a deal breaker for any future Jolla products. To be honest if there will be no battery in the store in the next two or three month i will loose my belief in "be unlike".

nieldk 2014-08-18 16:03

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what was said regarding the battery issue, as usual from an individual in Jolla, not JollaHQ
Big thanks though to Stefano for finding the answer.
Of course, seeing my tweets with Stefano made JollaHQ twit an answer, days after I brought it up, asking directly including them.

Fellfrosch 2014-08-18 16:18

For me that sounds more like:
We have not enough batteries and we need them for our repair centres.
Anyway if that is really the case. They should tell us a fixed date when we can order spare batteries. It shouldn't be so difficult to produce enough batteries.

nodevel 2014-08-18 16:19

People should really chill.

One is selling his device, another is talking about cheating and losing belief...

There is no official statement about this issue. Just wait for the statement and then judge. Screen protectors are also an important thing that should be available right after the release so the screen does not get scratched in the meanwhile, yet it appeared in the store just today (8months after the release).

There's no reason why they should oppose selling batteries -it's an additional income. What I'm getting from Stefano's answer is that they will eventually sell it, they just don't have enough stock right now to be able to both sell batteries and having enough for warranty repairs.

I just don't get why people think Jolla has intentions to cheat them. This feeling usually lasts until someone from Jolla explains it, then there're few days (weeks) of quiet before someone shouts "they are actively trying to screw us" and everything starts again. It reminds me of unhealthy relationships :)

nieldk 2014-08-18 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1436148)
People should really chill.

One is selling his device, another is talking about cheating and losing belief...

There is no official statement about this issue. Just wait for the statement and then judge. Screen protectors are also an important thing that should be available right after the release so the screen does not get scratched in the meanwhile. Yet it appeared in the store just today (8months after the release).

There's no reason why they should oppose selling batteries -it's an additional income. What I'm getting from Stefano's answer is that they will eventually sell it, they just don't have enough stock to be able to both sell batteries yet having enough for warranty repairs.

no official statement?
obviously you dont know who Stefano is dude.

nodevel 2014-08-18 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1436151)
no official statement?
obviously you dont know who Stefano is dude.

You mean

Co-founder @ Jolla; Home of my personal thoughts, not the ones of my company.

dude? :)

nieldk 2014-08-18 16:28

1 Attachment(s)
here is the official statement "we are working on it" is that good enough?

Fellfrosch 2014-08-18 16:45

I haven't wrote about that I feel cheated nor that I have lost my belief. There are a lot of ifs in my post. But what i actually can't understand is why it is so difficult to offer batteries and if there are good reasons, why they don't act more transparent and tell us. There even is no official statement that there will be spare batteries to order.

Fellfrosch 2014-08-18 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1436155)
here is the official statement "we are working on it" is that good enough?

For me that is enough at the moment.:o

bill_klpd 2014-08-18 17:38

What's going on with Jolla?? From time to time when I check this community I see more and more problems not from the product (the phone itself) but from the company...

I have put my beliefs in Jolla as it has something different to give to the phone industry, but all I see the last time is more and more problems..
I can't understand why, but some of them are unrespectable (like this one with the battery!)

Jolla is, in my opinion, not really well known (just like Samsung etc), especially here in Greece and with these actions is losing more and more customers and it's a pity!

I hope that they will change their mind soon, before it is too late...

nieldk 2014-08-18 17:46

I would say, it is not individual people within the company. On an individual employee level people are being answered. But there is clearly a publicity issue from the company side.
I guess atm they are focusing really hard on releases and availability around the world, more than issues.
Yes, I hope this will change, and they will get enough ressources to work with the community