maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   shaky USB port - problem been solved in later batches? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75900)

tredlie 2011-08-19 14:08

shaky USB port - problem been solved in later batches?

Hei Folks

Right now I am installing my third N900 after two passed away with the infamous USB broken/charging issue. Ofcourse, I would like to know if I have a chance to keep this one a little longer.

I seem to have heard that Nokia fixed this initial production flaw in later production batches. Is there anything know about this, perhaps even a date/series number when this might have happened?

cheers

Hurrian 2011-08-19 14:13

Re: shaky USB port - problem been solved in later batches?

No they haven't, I emailed Nokia Care PH and they just sent a generic response - they'll break sooner or later.

cjp 2011-08-19 14:22

You've gone through three of them? C'mon man, it's a fault in the hardware, but atleast part of it is YOU. In 2 years I've had mine replaced once because of the USB fault.

Look you know its fragile, so use it accordingly.

Texrat 2011-08-19 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjp (Post 1073056)
You've gone through three of them? C'mon man, it's a fault in the hardware, but atleast part of it is YOU. In 2 years I've had mine replaced once because of the USB fault.

Not necessarily. My first broke largely through my own carelessness. The second, however, just fell out very shortly after I received it and after I had shown it extreme care.

I have identified likely root cause as poor tinning on some connectors. That means the solder used to secure them isn't even melding with the connector. No amount of care in the world will compensate there-- those WILL fail, no matter how gentle you treat them.

There's a good chance Nokia improved QA to ensure ALL connectors are tinned properly at some point.

dr_frost_dk 2011-08-19 14:28

classic tip, file down the 2 hooks in the usb cable (not in the N900) this will make a much gentler connection, and don't swing it around in the USB cable when connected then it should last a long time.

tredlie 2011-08-19 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjp (Post 1073056)

arithmetic: this is the third, makes two I have gone through :)

the first lasted one and a half year, no charging but usb connection worked til the end. The second was an ebay acqusition and has probably seen some use, worked fine during the first three days, then gave up charging and usb functionality.

None broke due to cable tripping or anything of that sort :(

dr_frost_dk 2011-08-19 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredlie (Post 1073071)
arithmetic: this is the third, makes two I have gone through :)

the first lasted one and a half year, no charging but usb connection worked til the end. The second was an ebay acqusition and has probably seen some use, worked fine during the first three days, then gave up charging and usb functionality.

None broke due to cable tripping or anything of that sort :(

do you still have the defective ones?, i could use some spare parts for future repairs....

tredlie 2011-08-19 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk (Post 1073076)
do you still have the defective ones?, i could use some spare parts for future repairs....

No, I had to return them; this is really heart breaking: the 'broken' N900s worked just fine, only the silly USB connectors were flawed (and can be soldered as has been suggested).

But if you are in a warranty situation you have to return the phones. And I am 100%> they will get thrown in the garbage. aweful!: mad:

lorul2 2011-08-19 14:52

I can't believe with the level of knowledge in this community "NO ONE" has come up with a permanant fix to this problem! Someone tell me I'm wrong...I willing to pay for a permanant FIX!!

lorul2 2011-08-19 14:55

BTW : Note to future Phone designers, add a seperate charge port instead of using the microusb for DOUBLE duty!