maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   My N900 shows signs of life, but won't start... (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83839)

Tedri Mark 2012-04-23 15:08

My N900 shows signs of life, but won't start...

Hi there, bit of an odd one, but basically after taking my phone out and it being dead from what I assumed was a flat battery I put it on charge, and got the usual slow flashing orange light, however it won't switch on.

If I unplug the charger the screen lights up (well, it stays black but the backlight comes on) and I get one 'pong' sound.

When I plug the charger in, the phone vibrates, and the nokia logo comes up (with no backlight) and then shortly afterwards the backlight comes up and the 5 white loading circles appear briefly and then disappear, and like I say, the slowly pulsing orange charge indicator comes on as usual. If I leave it, the LED turns green as expected.

It almost seems like the power button has physicaly stopped working, but I don;t know why that would have happened. I'm going to leave it to charge and then re-flash, unless anyone else has any other ideas?

geneven 2012-04-23 19:23

Re: My N900 shows signs of life, but won't start...

You need a fully charged battery, and the only reliable way to get one in your situation is to have an external charger (they are cheap) or another phone to charge the battery. I doubt that you need to flash, but it is your last resort.

Estel 2012-04-23 20:06

If his led is turning green after reasonable time (during act-dead charging), it seems that he already have fully charged battery. So, for instance, I doubt that external charger will do him anything good.

I also doubt, that power button stopped working (yet, it is possible), so reflashing may help to filter out problem case.

/Estel

Tedri Mark 2012-04-23 22:16

Okay, so just re-flashed successfully (as far as I can see...) but I have the same behaviour.

EDIT: Reflashed again, but with the -R argument (which for some reason is included in the general guide, but not in the handy guide of how to get it to work on the mac) and now all set once more.. YIPPEE!

Estel 2012-04-23 22:26

Nice to hear that, but if You ever encounter same problem again, drop us info here, please. I'm still curious what happened with Your device.

/Estel

Tedri Mark 2012-04-23 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1196724)
Nice to hear that, but if You ever encounter same problem again, drop us info here, please. I'm still curious what happened with Your device.

/Estel

Hmmm.. just for curiositiy's sake, I just tried the power button (with the phone switched on) and lo and behold, it does nothing... How bizarre..

That doesn't explain how reflashing it got it to boot, other than I flashed it in R&D mode as I read that in R&D mode the device powers on as soon as a charger is connected or the battery is inserted. However, this did not initially help - although it did cause the device to power up, it did the couple of scrolls of the booting circles before stopping again..

It was only when I reflashed with -R that it worked - I flashed from a mac but then connected it to a PC (I was going to try to recover the eMMC data from a ubuntu Live USB install) and it did the booting circles thing for quite a while (I thought it was just going to be stuck doing that forever), and then surprised me with the welcome/location setup screen...

Odd.. maybe the power button was stuck down, and so the time it took to start booting and then stop was the equivalent on how long it would take if I held the button in while booting to shut it down..

fffffred 2012-04-24 05:53

sounds like a dicky power button. flashing will make it reboot, hence why it rebooted after a flash.

does your "switch off, secure device, silent" menu pop up when you press the power button?

Tedri Mark 2012-04-24 10:50

Nope, as said above, with the device switched on, the power button does nothing, which does seem to suggest that the button itself is no longer working.

What is odd is that when I reflashed in R&D mode without the -R variable at the end, plugging into the charger or inserting the battery made the device instantly turn on (as expected) but it exhibited the same behaviour, ie booting circles appeared briefly then device shut down, but then reflashing with the -R at the end made it boot fully...

ArchiMark 2012-04-24 13:38

Don't know if I got the exact same issue, but last night I was using N900 with CSSU-Testing and was working fine..

Have also installed EasyDebian and Ubuntu and Fedora images per another post....have 32GB microSD card in card slot....

Don't remember exactly, but think my N900 may have crashed....rebooted and got into backupmenu program. Hit q to reboot and no go...since then can't start up N900....

Thinking it might be battery that got low, I plugged it into AC charger all night long. When I got up this morning I didn't see the green light, no light on. I unplugged charger cord and tried to boot, but nothing happens. Took out battery and then reinserted it and still can't boot...

Plugged AC cord back in and I am getting flashing orange (think it's orange...) light....

Do i need to reflash or ?

Thanks!

ijAcK 2012-04-24 14:16

Why can I never get lucky like you guys.
I have flashed my phone a billion times SUCCESSFULLY. But it can never boot..