maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish OS Roadmap (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95457)

nodevel 2015-05-05 08:17

Sailfish OS Roadmap

I didn't see anyone mentioning it earlier, so I'll do it:

Jolla has introduced two pages with the status of SailfishOS development:

Sailfish OS Roadmap

General information about upcoming features and products.

Development Roadmap

Detailed plans on Sailfish OS development, by category, month by month. It includes information about the status of each feature (not implemented/implemented/released).

Here is the page saved into the Archive.org Wayback machine. If you notice any changes, please save it again, so we can follow the progress.

There are some very interesting plans ahead. Some examples that were the most interesting to me:

• Intel support for Android runtime along with upgrade to version 4.4.4 (February)
  • Flattr support in Jolla Harbour (February) (*)
  • User settings to control Android runtime environment (March)
  • Split screen views within an app (Q3), (**)
  • Album support in Gallery app (Q3)
  • Investigate WiDi/Miracast on the Tablet (Q3)
  • Allow retaining user data when the user resets the device to factory defaults (Q3)
  • UPNP/DLNA integration (Q3)

There are some very exciting plans, but I am a bit sceptical about these two:
(*) - I don't think it's wise to go the Flattr way, as it will probably mean no cut for Jolla from running the store.
(**) - I hoped split screen view within an app would be ready for the tablet launch, as it is the only imaginable way how to seamlessly adapt phone apps to the tablet form (attached page on phone, visible on tablet).

Enjoy the reading :)

PS: I hate making new threads, but I couldn't find any appropriate thread for such an long-time info (no "update 11/12/13..." thread would do).

romu 2015-05-06 16:46

Re: Sailfish OS Roadmap

Just hope they have some room for bug fixing !

mikelima 2015-05-07 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1469417)
(*) - I don't think it's wise to go the Flattr way, as it will probably mean no cut for Jolla from running the store.
do).

I think they evaluated it to be their best option.

Everybody is clamoring for paid app support, but I think there is very little money to be made over it, at least in the short term.

I did not know about flattr, but it could work for current developers, and I suppose it is cheap to implement a flattr micropayment in the store.

I hope Jolla will not want a split of the donations, though, that would not be very "unlike".

mariusmssj 2015-05-07 08:19

this is a great addition from jolla to increase the transparency and show the community what their plants and what they are working on :)

edgar2 2015-05-10 08:26

Quote:

• Flattr support in Jolla Harbour (February) (*)

wow, what a surprise. as the author of this post (2010!) it sure is nice to hear about those plans! if it's implemented, i'll definitely continue with flattr - which at the same time is to say, unfortunately i haven't been using it for some time.

r0kk3rz 2015-05-10 09:29

Quote:

It's possible they have done a deal with Flattr to get a cut of the donations made through Harbour. However it is also in their best interest to build their developer base, and this helps do that even without them leeching on the transactions.

I'm sure all will be revealed once it goes live, as the terms for developers will need to be clearly stated.

skanky 2015-05-11 13:52

Quote:

While it seems they are quite behind their schedule,

Worth pointing out that, via the development email list, the items are listed by expected start time, rather than expected completion. Then they list completed items and released items.

It wasn't said, but I would expect completed to mean passed testing and signed off.

Anyway, the roadmap has been updated from "last Tuesday's" update meeting, so worth revisiting.

Also, in the same email, the expected functionality for the next release has been listed...

nodevel 2015-05-11 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanky (Post 1469974)
Worth pointing out that, via the development email list, the items are listed by expected start time, rather than expected completion. Then they list completed items and released items.

It wasn't said, but I would expect completed to mean passed testing and signed off.

Anyway, the roadmap has been updated from "last Tuesday's" update meeting, so worth revisiting.

Also, in the same email, the expected functionality for the next release has been listed...

Thank you, it's worth pointing out, so I removed the 'delays' complain.

I also added the page to the Archive.org wayback machine, so we can follow the progress and easily see what has changed from the last time (the next time it changes anyway).

EDIT: Edited the first post accordingly.
Shout-out to everyone: Please save the page on the Wayback machine again once you notice any changes.

bluefoot 2015-05-16 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikelima (Post 1469581)
I hope Jolla will not want a split of the donations, though, that would not be very "unlike".

1) Can we please stop using this hashtag. It's embarassing.

2) How can it possibly ever hope to be a sustainable model if Jolla don't take a cut? I'd be very worried if they didn't take a cut. It'd pretty much be signalling that they don't expect active Sailfish users or app development to grow at any time in the forseeable future, and therefore any revenue from it would be useless; a tacit admission of defeat. Most developers who might be willing to test the waters would see it as a very bad sign. Besides, what reason would Jolla ever have to help, facilitate or support Sailfish ports to Android phones if they're never going to make a cent from it?

3) Implementing Flattr support (or similar systems) is insanely easy. Like some of the other features on the roadmap, how did this not happen sooner?

Feathers McGraw 2015-05-16 20:49

Quote:

• UPNP/DLNA integration (Q3)

That would be cool. I have a Rocki UPNP renderer, it would be nice to be able to play music from the phone on the Rocki.

I've managed this on Ubuntu using pulseaudio-dlna and it works really well. Even more useful on a handheld device though. I'm sure it's already possible, but having it integrated nicely into the system would be ideal.

mikelima 2015-05-21 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1470509)
1) Can we please stop using this hashtag. It's embarassing.

Sorry, I will not. Jolla chose it their tag, I will use it as I see fit. :)

Quote:

2) How can it possibly ever hope to be a sustainable model if Jolla don't take a cut? I'd be very worried if they didn't take a cut. It'd pretty much be signalling that they don't expect active Sailfish users or app development to grow at any time in the forseeable future, and therefore any revenue from it would be useless; a tacit admission of defeat. Most developers who might be willing to test the waters would see it as a very bad sign. Besides, what reason would Jolla ever have to help, facilitate or support Sailfish ports to Android phones if they're never going to make a cent from it?

Well, I hope they will grow a substainable model by managing to license their stack to interested parties, and producing hardware people buy. I would rather want them to invest in open source foundations for the missing infrastructure, rather than try to follow the lead of Apple and Google here.

I do not see apps revenue could possibly cover the cost of developing the infrastructure for that; and if money is the motivation for developing an application for SailfishOS, the developer will be sorely disappointed as for the return of investment. I wrote a few applications, for my own use and satisfaction; it still is a pain to get them released, as many needed components are forbidden. That is where Jolla should focus, to remove roadblocks from the current willing community of developers. For those, the donation system could be a source of satisfaction, rather than of steady income.

Quote:

3) Implementing Flattr support (or similar systems) is insanely easy. Like some of the other features on the roadmap, how did this not happen sooner?

I suppose that some commercial understanding was needed? Also, there were probably more urgent tasks. There still are...

skanky 2015-06-08 12:59

With the pre-release of 1.1.6, the roadmap has been updated to indicate which items from it are included. There may be othere updates to the map as well, but I've not been tracking it.

skanky 2015-08-10 16:49

Roadmap updates via the devel mailing list:

http://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermai...st/006395.html

KylliOrvokki 2017-01-05 08:41

Maybe this thread is correct place to put this.

Did you notice this comment from blog?

https://blog.jolla.com/2016-community-program-roundup/

" James Noori on January 4, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Speaking of, being open source has been, and is on our plans for 2017. I can’t assure you when you shall expect it but we are planning to do it little by little and make a proper road to fully open source ASAP. I’m not in charge of this but I’m following the discussion as closely as I can and I will share more info when I have some. Cheers to a finely planned road-to-open-source in 2017!"

Lets see! :)

Merienth 2017-01-05 09:01

Funny but I'm personally not 100% happy about this.

If an originally closed source system goes into open is usually a sign of weakness. Not that this is inherently bad, but can mean that the company/team is desperately trying to find a solution, they are giving up original strategies. Just as examples:

M$ going with linux for Azure
Blender going OS after bankruptcy
0.A.D. (strategy game)

Of course this might not be bad, still interresting to wach.

pichlo 2017-01-05 10:01

I see it as an attempt to appease the most militant community members shouting their "Open it! Open it!" mantra till their throats got sore, as if opening it would actually make any real difference. (I agree that yielding to a pressure like that is a sign of weakness in its own right.)

I personally foresee very little effect. The majority of Sailfish has been open since day one. Has either Sailfish or Jolla benefited from or suffered because of that? I admit I do not have the numbers to hand but I suspect the real (that is, not just perceived) effect, good or bad, has been quite minimal.

juiceme 2017-01-05 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1521438)
I see it as an attempt to appease the most militant community members shouting their "Open it! Open it!" mantra till their throats got sore, as if opening it would actually make any real difference. (I agree that yielding to a pressure like that is a sign of weakness in its own right.)

I personally foresee very little effect. The majority of Sailfish has been open since day one.

Indeed, SFOS is open enough for my tastes and needs. Mostly the closed stuff is in the UI layer which is pretty irrelevant IMHO.
As for opening the closed core apps which some people yearn for (like email and calendar) I don't really see any need for that either.

Consider that the sailfih browser is all open now, has anybody here made any relevant contributions to it, hmm?
Thought so.

MikeHG 2017-01-05 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merienth (Post 1521437)
Funny but I'm personally not 100% happy about this.

If an originally closed source system goes into open is usually a sign of weakness...

Speculation, but perhaps it has more to do with the change in their business model?

They're no longer emphasising the pitch to consumers, or the phone companies that supply them, but rather aiming to supply nations with a strategic interest in not being under the ambit of the American tech giants.

I guess that could reduce the fear of being undercut by (probably Chinese) clones, and move their focus towards creating a transparent and reliable common core - Sailfish properly so called - perhaps with custom (closed source?) layers on top for different markets...

mrsellout 2017-01-06 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHG (Post 1521471)
Speculation, but perhaps it has more to do with the change in their business model?

They're no longer emphasising the pitch to consumers, or the phone companies that supply them, but rather aiming to supply nations with a strategic interest in not being under the ambit of the American tech giants.

I guess that could reduce the fear of being undercut by (probably Chinese) clones, and move their focus towards creating a transparent and reliable common core - Sailfish properly so called - perhaps with custom (closed source?) layers on top for different markets...

And it could help to alleviate fears of any compromised code considering the ties with the Russian government.

OVK 2017-02-08 09:31

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this but there is an open letter from Jolla CEO about Sailfish situation in year 2017: https://blog.jolla.com/letter-jolla-ceo/

Nothing too worrying or exciting there, I think.

tortoisedoc 2017-02-08 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVK (Post 1523011)
Don't know if this is the right thread to post this but there is an open letter from Jolla CEO about Sailfish situation in year 2017: https://blog.jolla.com/letter-jolla-ceo/

Yeah,
nothing B.I.G. on the horizon; business as usual. We'll see what MWC brings!

Android_808 2017-02-08 12:33

RE: MWC

"expect to hear some new exciting announcements during the week"

A way for Europeans to officially obtain devices again without hoping on AquaFish passing customs?
A new device?
A new partnership with Nokia or another big name or FairPhone2 official (although I'd expect FP3 to be available by the time this happens, IF it does)?
Dalvik available in store for ported devices?

As far as I'm concerned, any of the above would be good news for Jolla and end users.

nthn 2017-02-08 13:46

I think it is worrying that they keep referring to these emerging markets, whereas "Europe" (and "North America") isn't mentioned anywhere. What exactly has this business strategy given them so far? A failed contract with some South African nobody provider, a failed contract with an Indian webshop, a failed contract for a piece of crap phone with an Indian nobody provider with likely the worst customer service in the galaxy and because of that a whole bunch of angry illiterate and gullible Indians spamming the comments on the Jolla store and spamming TJC. A winning strategy, clearly.

Meanwhile, in the places of the world where people are actually interested in their products, there is nothing. I will be using my Jolla phone for the next ten years unless it breaks down, but what are others supposed to do? Unofficial ports are not exactly an option because your support depends on the porter's personal interests, you don't have Android support, you don't have Exchange support and you don't have access to the Jolla store. After more than three years, the Jolla store is still a complete joke with no way to pay for applications other than indirectly through flattr, with no way to properly filter or to view more than three screenshots, with no quality control whatsoever, with nowhere near the amount of applications available on OpenRepos due to extremely misguided restrictions, with no web interface, to put it short: with nothing to offer. And yet, without this store available, the only way for a port user to install things is by using OpenRepos.

But surely selling Sailfish in China, where even a baby already has five different phones, will solve all problems.

I am as far as one could be from being a business mastermind, and yet Jolla's management is even farther.

I'll take those claims about "further open sourcing" with more grains of salt than there are in the Dead Sea (maybe a good emerging market?). They've been repeated over the past three years, always "coming soon!" or "more info in the next months!", and except from the browser and documents applications years ago, nothing has changed.

P@t 2017-02-08 13:50

I am a bit more optimistic as:
- this is now clear that some community device will be made available (was already hinted at FOSDEM). This was not that clear from last months communication. And it will change the game for those who cannot engage in SFOS as there is no (official) hardware to buy or only quite old and used ones (J1). Of course let's see the details when they arrive.
- this seems to me the first time they engage themselves (officially) to open source most remaining part of the OS.
- a China deal seems reachable now.

For the rest, there are confirmations of what we know:
- SFOS remains dedicated to be independent even if rather dependent on Russian funding (if open sourced, then we can trust them even more)
- a Russian team will deliver some codes back to SFOS core.
- the money is still tight but no dead valley in the short-term
- community remains important to them

Looking forward to MWC :)

lantern 2017-02-08 18:38

I hope for a new device with not that big dimensions.
My aquafish lies in the drawer since august - I just can't switch to that brick from my lovely small N9.

mscion 2017-02-08 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVK (Post 1523011)

Wow. Still says they are working on 2nd half tablet refund! Sadly, unless I missed it, I see no plans for North America. Can't a global version be made?

velox 2017-03-14 13:45

Some functionality came up in the translations, mainly "Sailfish Device Manager" (I thought that would only end up in russian corporate extensions) and VPN related.

Some more or less interesting ones I stumbled upon:

Settings:
  • "User can flash device with fastboot flash tool"
  • "Encrypt user data" (Accepting this will encrypt all user data stored on the device. This is an irreversible change and you will need to enter a lock code on all future boots in order to access your data.<br><br>If you accept the device will reboot automatically and you will be prompted for your lock code before encrypting your data. This may take as long as an hour and your device will not be usable again until the encryption has completed.)
  • "Quick access to Camera" (swipe up in lock screen)
  • "The device has been permanently locked"
  • "Locked by Sailfish Device Manager"
  • Settings -> Networking:
  • "Select SIM card used for dialing calls and sending messages. You can also access the setting in Events shortcut panel."
  • "Identity"
  • "Enabled/Disabled by Sailfish Device Manager"
  • "Networks added by Sailfish Device Manager"
  • "Managed networks"
  • "User networks"
Store:
  • "Other Half installation prevented by Sailfish Device Manager"
  • "Installing applications disabled by the Sailfish Device Manager."

Most likely I've missed some (and I'm not sure all of them are even new), but it's nice to see some things progressing.

What do you folks think about remote administration if it lands in vanilla SFOS? Useful tool for security in corporate environments or just the first in a row of possibly hard-to-track backdoors? (Feeding the trolls a bit, I know.)

mariusmssj 2017-03-14 14:05

That's quite good, I've wanted such features for quite while

nthn 2017-03-14 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledges
As always, take the new UI strings with a grain of salt -- not necessarily all of them will land in 2.1.1 as complete and functional features

I guess the device encryption won't be in the next update, then, but it's good to know they're working on it.

MoritzJT 2017-03-14 15:49

Well I'm all for a backdoor. If the device management is required by my company it should only affect data affiliated with that. Somewhat like BB does it I hope. Work Environment under Device Manangement and User Environment separate from that. I cannot accept a device management policy on my phone that has remote wipe and whatnot capability that also affects user data. It is unacceptable as a tradeoff to gain corporate interest for SFOS in my opinion.

It all boils down to the implementation.

I used MSExchange on my N9 and Jolla and my company required by policy to be able to remotely wipe my phone because back then it was not 'sandboxed'

Luckily on N9 and Jolla you could fake that capability and still deny the functionality. That is of course against the usage agreement for corporate mail but well... screw the IT that has such measly measures to ensure their data to stay safe.

I would hope on SFOS we get an environment based solution. Maybe some other user than nemo. Separate clipboards etc.

One can dream

pichlo 2017-03-14 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoritzJT (Post 1525402)
I cannot accept a device management policy on my phone that has remote wipe and whatnot capability that also affects user data. It is unacceptable as a tradeoff to gain corporate interest for SFOS in my opinion.

Then good bye corporate uptake of SFOS.

I really wish people at least tried to see things from the other side before they blurted out their holy truths. Imagine you were the company owner. Would you risk your company's trade secrets by allowing your employees to use insecure devices, without encryption and remote management including wipe? If you did and they left the phone on the train, you would have only yourself to blame.

Different hardware for work and pleasure is the obvious answer.

atlochowski 2017-03-14 20:01

About Sailfish Device Manager
https://together.jolla.com/question/...post-id-158623

MartinK 2017-03-14 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1525386)
  • "Encrypt user data" (Accepting this will encrypt all user data stored on the device. This is an irreversible change and you will need to enter a lock code on all future boots in order to access your data.<br><br>If you accept the device will reboot automatically and you will be prompted for your lock code before encrypting your data. This may take as long as an hour and your device will not be usable again until the encryption has completed.)

I wonder how this is implemented - it basically means they will probably do in place conversion from unencrypted volume to an encrypted one as they can hardly leave enough place free to make it possible to create a new ecrypted volume of same size as the current one and copy the current data to that. Apparently there is a tool to do in-place LUKS conversion, so maybe they are going to use that. Or they could setup LUKS by default and just set the encryption key once requested (& possibly reencrypt the data with it). :)

briest 2017-03-15 22:05

It would be easy with filesystem-level encryption, like encfs or ecryptfs. Still I'd prefer blockdev-level.

Korkkiruuvi 2018-02-04 00:59

This thread is dead for no reason..:mad:

thetao 2018-07-26 23:53

I didn't want to start a new thread but wasn't sure where else to put this. I am a potential new user and have a few "does Sailfish do _____?" questions. Hope that's okay.

1) Is there a web site somewhere with a detailed overview of exactly what features Sailfish offers? I'm not talking about simple videos on swiping or using the camera. I have managed to figure out things like it not including a JVM or a radio app, and not offering downloadable maps, but

2) What sorts of tethering are supported? Bluetooth? Wired? If wired tethering is supported, what drivers package does it use on the computer side? Maybe the same as Android?

3) Does Sailfish include "office" software, i.e. for reading .doc, .docx, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .csv files...plus .odt and .ods since it's Linux? I expect there is a .pdf reader. Is this all native code?

4) What's the current state of the API for blocking calls? I've been getting lots more robo calls lately (is the rest of the world also plagued?) and wish for something better than Blackballer on my E73, which can only process known phone numbers.

5) In previous talk of roadmaps, was there any mention of using the last Symbian feature set as guidance? If so, I would hope all of the above is coming soon.

Thanks!

DrYak 2018-07-27 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 1546626)
I have managed to figure out things like it not including a JVM

Indeed, no JVM. On the other hand, Sailfish OS is a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood, so if Java is still that much important (is it in 2018 ?) somebody in the community would eventually port it.

Quote:

or a radio app,

No official FM radio app by Jolla Oy or 3rd party (on the official app shop).

On 3rd party repos (basically openrepos.net) :

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers. Kimmoli has written it for the OnePlus-X. Users have reported using it succesfully on Jolla C phones. Currently according to Jolla, the FM driver for the Sony Xperia X isn't enabled in Sailfish X.

- For Web radio, I personally use AllRadio, it serves all my needs.
It's also available on the official Jolla shop.

Quote:

and not offering downloadable maps,

It happens that no map is pre-installed when you take the phone out-of-the-box.

But there's the wonderful "OSM Scout Server" (developped by Rinigus on this same forum).

It's available on 3rd party repositories.

It is also available on the official Jolla app shop, but due to some current policies, some function on the app shop version might be disabled (If I remember correctly : applications on the Jolla shop cannot run in the background, so the daemon mode might be disabled. You'll have to ask Rinigus). Anyway newer version usually come faster on the openrepos than on the official shop.

This OSM Scout is a local map server. Basically, it's like having your own Google Maps server installed locally on your phone.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish) or used as a map back-end in unrelated applications like Laufhelden (a sports tracker Sailfish application. it can use OSM Scout to display a minimap along your sport tracking. Extremely useful when you do sports out of cell coverage or abroad out of roaming).

Quote:

What sorts of tethering are supported? Bluetooth? Wired? If wired tethering is supported, what drivers package does it use on the computer side? Maybe the same as Android?

Sailfish usually has 2 way to show up on the computer side :
- You can either select that weird MTP thingy that Windows uses to share files.
- Or you can show up as a network device (Sailfish call it "Developer mode") and then do whatever pleases you (e.g.: SSH into your phone)
(You can also not show up and just charge).

Regarding tethering :
- the official interface out of the box only offers Wifi Connection sharing.

- By using the network access ("Dev mode" of the USB connector) you could basically do whatever you want.
I'm sure there should be some nice user-friendly interface on some repository to help you set it up, but I haven't investigated.
I'm more a command line guy, so I basically have 2 approaches :
- either I SSH to the phone using the "dynamic proxy" option ("-D" option) of ssh to setup a SOCKS proxy and only set the proxy in a couple of desktop application (e.g.: proxy in Firefox using FoxyProxy for easier switching) to save bandwidth.
- or a manually setup NAT forwarding using ip tables.

I've never attempted bluetooth networking on Sailfish.

Quote:

Does Sailfish include "office" software, i.e. for reading .doc, .docx, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .csv files...plus .odt and .ods since it's Linux? I expect there is a .pdf reader. Is this all native code?

Out of the box, the phone is naked, again.

On the official Jolla app shop, you'll find "Documents", an official native document reader for Sailfish.

If you install the Android compatibility layer, then you can go crazy with whatever floats your boat.

e.g.: The official Aptoid of Sailfish features things like Microsoft Office, Polaris Office, WPS Office, ... but only the Viewer from LibreOffice (?)
You can get even more out of other Aptoids, or even from Google Play (if you install Google Services) or Yalp (if you install MicroG, respectively).

Though, regarding Android, keep in mind that :

- current android layer is Myriad's Alien-Dalvik
Because it's an implementation of the android dalvik "kind-of-JVM JIT", it's stuck at Android 4.0 Kitkat.
you wont be able to get Lollipop-only apps running.

- Sailfish OS 3.x will, according to Jolla's blog, bring android improvements, but they can't say much yet. (probably NDAs with the various companies they are investigating).

Quote:

4) What's the current state of the API for blocking calls? I've been getting lots more robo calls lately (is the rest of the world also plagued?) and wish for something better than Blackballer on my E73, which can only process known phone numbers.

Saddly I haven't much experience. Have noticed efforts like Phonehook and scumstopper. But don't know much about it.
Info blurb about the first - phonehook - mentions supporting wildcards, and seems to be still used (and htus working ?) in 2018.

In general :
- Out of the box, the phone is pretty much naked (on purpose, to be light and minimalist)
- On the official Jolla store, you can quickly find a couple of official Jolla application covering most of the basic needs.
- There's a community of 3rd parties devs, spread between the official Jolla app shop and mostly OpenRepos as a 3rd party repo.
- It's a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood. You can pretty much do anything.
- Sometimes, it might require some efforts (tracking the best 3rd party app from some community dev on a 3rd party repo).
- Sometimes, it might require getting your hands dirty and eventually type a few stuff on the command line (SSH or fingerterm).

Depending on your needs, its pretty much usable as a daily driver.
(Still:
- check if you have some unusual needs. In your case : check if you can find a decent Office android app to edit while on the go as this is something that you seem to need.
- check if that stupid android app that you bank *absolutely insist you have to use* in order to log works (or public transportation e-ticket, etc.) Some are outright available on the sailfish aptoid, some require installing Google Services, some might even require an additional java library)

thetao 2018-07-27 10:51

Thanks for all the great information!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrYak (Post 1546638)
Indeed, no JVM. On the other hand, Sailfish OS is a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood, so if Java is still that much important (is it in 2018 ?) somebody in the community would eventually port it.

Maybe not, but I still hope it's on a roadmap somewhere. Sailfish 4.0?

Quote:

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers.

I'd be using a Xperia, which should have the right hardware. I recall reading somewhere that the original N900 radio app also works?

Quote:

But there's the wonderful "OSM Scout Server" (developped by Rinigus on this same forum).
[...]
This OSM Scout is a local map server. Basically, it's like having your own Google Maps server installed locally on your phone.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish).

And all native code, too. Thanks for the details!

Quote:

Regarding tethering :

- By using the network access ("Dev mode" of the USB connector) you could basically do whatever you want.
I'm sure there should be some nice user-friendly interface on some repository to help you set it up, but I haven't investigated.
- either I SSH to the phone using the "dynamic proxy" option ("-D" option) of ssh to setup a SOCKS proxy and only set the proxy in a couple of desktop application (e.g.: proxy in Firefox using FoxyProxy for easier switching) to save bandwidth.

I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?

Quote:

On the official Jolla app shop, you'll find "Documents", an official native document reader for Sailfish.

If you install the Android compatibility layer, then you can go crazy with whatever floats your boat.

e.g.: The official Aptoid of Sailfish features things like Microsoft Office, Polaris Office, WPS Office, ... but only the Viewer from LibreOffice (?)
You can get even more out of other Aptoids, or even from Google Play (if you install Google Services) or Yalp (if you install MicroG, respectively).

Sorry, I didn't understand "Aptoid". The software you list is available for download?

Quote:

Saddly I haven't much experience. Have noticed efforts like Phonehook and scumstopper. But don't know much about it.
Info blurb about the first - phonehook - mentions supporting wildcards, and seems to be still used (and htus working ?) in 2018.

Well, it's still something.

Quote:

(Still:
- check if you have some unusual needs. In your case : check if you can find a decent Office android app to edit while on the go as this is something that you seem to need.

I'm still using a Symbian phone and find it a little frustrating that I may need to give up certain useful functionality, seemingly in exchange for a groovy/funky UI. But Sailfish is really my only option because I don't like Android and won't buy an iPhone, I don't mind the occasional Android app, but am choosing Sailfish in part to avoid Google Play Services. If any bank absolutely relies on an APP for mobile use, then I'm banking somewhere else! I lived through the Netscape vs. IE browser wars once, when web sites told you to "go away and come back with our favorite software (typically IE)". Not doing that again. :)

meloferz 2018-07-27 11:57

Quote:

- For FM radio, I heard about PirateFM, works on some phones with FM Qualcomm receivers. Kimmoli has written it for the OnePlus-X. Users have reported using it succesfully on Jolla C phones. Currently according to Jolla, the FM driver for the Sony Xperia X isn't enabled in Sailfish X.

- For Web radio, I personally use AllRadio, it serves all my needs.
It's also available on the official Jolla shop.

It happens that no map is pre-installed when you take the phone out-of-the-box.

It's available on 3rd party repositories.

It is also available on the official Jolla app shop, but due to some current policies, some function on the app shop version might be disabled (If I remember correctly : applications on the Jolla shop cannot run in the background, so the daemon mode might be disabled. You'll have to ask Rinigus). Anyway newer version usually come faster on the openrepos than on the official shop.

It can be used by applications such as Poor Maps (simple 2D map displayer), WhoGo Maps (the new best app for maps on Sailfish) or used as a map back-end in unrelated applications like Laufhelden (a sports tracker Sailfish application. it can use OSM Scout to display a minimap along your sport tracking. Extremely useful when you do sports out of cell coverage or abroad out of roaming).

Sailfish usually has 2 way to show up on the computer side :
- You can either select that weird MTP thingy that Windows uses to share files.
- Or you can show up as a network device (Sailfish call it "Developer mode") and then do whatever pleases you (e.g.: SSH into your phone)
(You can also not show up and just charge).

Regarding tethering :

Out of the box, the phone is naked, again.

Though, regarding Android, keep in mind that :

- current android layer is Myriad's Alien-Dalvik
Because it's an implementation of the android dalvik "kind-of-JVM JIT", it's stuck at Android 4.0 Kitkat.
you wont be able to get Lollipop-only apps running.

- Sailfish OS 3.x will, according to Jolla's blog, bring android improvements, but they can't say much yet. (probably NDAs with the various companies they are investigating).

In general :
- Out of the box, the phone is pretty much naked (on purpose, to be light and minimalist)
- On the official Jolla store, you can quickly find a couple of official Jolla application covering most of the basic needs.
- There's a community of 3rd parties devs, spread between the official Jolla app shop and mostly OpenRepos as a 3rd party repo.
- It's a full blown GNU/Linux under the hood. You can pretty much do anything.
- Sometimes, it might require some efforts (tracking the best 3rd party app from some community dev on a 3rd party repo).
- Sometimes, it might require getting your hands dirty and eventually type a few stuff on the command line (SSH or fingerterm).

(Still:
- check if that stupid android app that you bank *absolutely insist you have to use* in order to log works (or public transportation e-ticket, etc.) Some are outright available on the sailfish aptoid, some require installing Google Services, some might even require an additional java library)

Hi, I have a sim card with IP public assigned to it, I was trying to connect through ssh but I have no luck, still new on Linux, I changed in developer mode the private IP to public IP and still doesn't work, how I can make it work?

Enviado desde mi H3123 mediante Tapatalk

r0kk3rz 2018-07-27 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 1546641)
I'd be using a Xperia, which should have the right hardware. I recall reading somewhere that the original N900 radio app also works?

the jolla provided media player does FM Radio as well, but at the moment the FM Radio on the Xperia X is unsupported on sailfish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 1546641)
I can do command line, but will need some kind of driver on the host side to communicate with the Xperia's modem to dial out. Given my current circumstances, lack of wired tethering may be a hard stop. I didn't completely understand your "Dev mode" explanation. Would this let me use the modem?

You can do usb tethering if you want, it involves installing a bunch of packages but thats about it. I think most people just use wifi hotspot.