maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Ubuntu (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition - first ubuntu phone announced (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94568)

Dave999 2015-02-05 18:44

BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition - first ubuntu phone announced

Tomorrow at a small event in London.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B88F39MIcAEDwxY.jpg

http://rpadovani.com/ubuntu-phone-gl...egated-scopes/

Spec

And if you have no clue about ubunty. A quick, old and dirty demo...
Ubuntu Touch demo: http://youtu.be/tYIFGCpQcIk

Kangal 2015-02-06 01:03

Re: Canonical announced first ubuntu smartphone...

I don't like their UI.

What if you're playing Fruit Ninja?
Everytime you goto make a swipe, you can either launch the App Specific Menu or the Apps list or Quick Switch to another App (!!!!)

And if you happened to install this on a device like the Sharp Crystal or the LG G2... you're gonna have a bad time attempting to swipe from those slim bezels.

And what if you're using a phone like the S5 and have an Otterbox case. You again won't be reaching those bezels very effectively.

I mean they're trying to build an OS for an ecosystem, and haven't even considered these points.
If it can't serve those use cases, people aren't going to adopt them. Especially in this age of ever increasing screens, decreasing bezels, slimming phones, etc etc.

Canonical are so bent up simply "to be different" that they don't even consider the actual user.
Just because you imitate some features from the iPhone/Android/Blackberry/webOS/etc etc does not make it a "copy cat" or bad design. You can be original while being alike.

Dave999 2015-02-06 07:10

I think it looks great with left menu. It might **** up your game? But what if you can disable it from setting if you are a fruit lover?

To me It looks a bit messy right now, but more complete than sail or ff at release state. if that actually is the case is not possibly to decide until I have the device in my hand.

My biggest concern is the top pull menu. They have done a cool job with left and right swipe inside the menu. my issue is how you enable it. long press or something should be possible so you don't have to swipe from top down.

Will be very intressTing to try it out.

Dave999 2015-02-06 16:45

Guys...there is a ****ing catch!
http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/06/ubuntu-phone-launch/

Dont live outside Europe.

Why Jolla and canonical sell to only Europe at first? Lame.

Great price If true. €169.90 :D

salyavin 2015-02-06 23:36

With those specs the price makes sense.
I dislike it's multitasking and don't care for the interface but I suspect it has less closed source than Jolla. Specs don't mention frequencies, does it have an SD slot?

Yea Europe only is a bummer but someone in Euro can do a nice ebay trade to help others.

I am hoping for a new Jolla phone but will be interesting to see how people like this.

Dave999 2015-02-07 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by salyavin (Post 1459885)
With those specs the price makes sense.
I dislike it's multitasking and don't care for the interface but I suspect it has less closed source than Jolla. Specs don't mention frequencies, does it have an SD slot?

Yea Europe only is a bummer but someone in Euro can do a nice ebay trade to help others.

I am hoping for a new Jolla phone but will be interesting to see how people like this.

Yes. Price defenetly match the spec which is always a good sign. I think we will see more devices soon. Persernally I would like to see a bigger screen and hope to see a Meizu deve too. But this is an excellent start and if I get a opportunity to get buy one it's a done deal. Every body needs one.

kinggo 2015-02-07 08:18

Re: BQ Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition - first ubuntu phone announced

so, this crap follows footsteps of chinese OEMs, you can't actually buy one, only when it goes on sale from time to time for a brief moment.
Next, please.
I swore to myself that I'll never ever buy something that isn't available all the time by regular channels. I hate those marketing gimmicks that make unobtanium from crap in the eyes of the sheeps.

aegis 2015-02-07 09:18

Is there an up to date video of the UI?

The only video I can find is from 2013 with Shuttleworth pretending to be in an Apple keynote.

Dave999 2015-02-07 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1459914)
Is there an up to date video of the UI?

The only video I can find is from 2013 with Shuttleworth pretending to be in an Apple keynote.

Here you go...

unBOXing & Hands-On from UBUNTU Release event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbNbdhoGS4

Estel 2015-02-07 10:09

No hardware keyboard? #Next...

pichlo 2015-02-07 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1459919)

Sign of the times, Estel. Like capacitive touchscreens. Just gotta live with it. Or wait it out. The bubble may burst eventually.

m4r0v3r 2015-02-07 10:47

i think there using HERE maps.

kinggo 2015-02-07 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1459919)

considering how people communicate today, next thing that they will get rid of is voice call :rolleyes:

salyavin 2015-02-07 20:45

Display: 4.5" qHD 540x960 - 240 ppi (HDPI)
CPU: Quad Core Cortex A7 up to 1.3 GHz MediaTek
GPU: Mali 400 up to 500 MHz
Storage: 8 GB
Memory available for end use: 5,5 GB*
RAM: 1 GB
Battery: LiPo 2150 mAh
dual micro-SIM
MicroSD slot, up to 32 GB

Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 4.0
2G GSM (850/900/1800/1900)
3G HSPA+ (900/2100)
GPS and A-GPS
8Mpx - 13Mpx interpolated (Dual-flash and autofocus) Camera
5Mpx - 8Mpx interpolated Front Camera

Flynx 2015-02-08 05:40

I am interested in this, but I have heard that ubuntu touch doesn't support X and wouldn't be able to run anything not developed specifically for it (qt or whatever... not a coder myself...)

Is there any chance we could see an "easy debian-like" environment for UT? Without that, and without a stylus, I don't see the point.

A samsung galaxy note running maemo would be my dream device,

coderus 2015-02-08 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynx (Post 1460000)
I am interested in this, but I have heard that ubuntu touch doesn't support X and wouldn't be able to run anything not developed specifically for it (qt or whatever... not a coder myself...)

Is there any chance we could see an "easy debian-like" environment for UT? Without that, and without a stylus, I don't see the point.

A samsung galaxy note running maemo would be my dream device,

if ubuntu will use newer wayland, xwayland will work out of the box then.

Dave999 2015-02-08 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1460020)
if ubuntu will use newer wayland, xwayland will work out of the box then.

Ubuntu for Phone using Mir.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/Spec

I concur. A samsung galaxy note With maemo would rule. Even one with ubuntu, sail or tizen would rock n roll.

Flynx 2015-02-08 17:50

So... if this was a pc I would just uninstall Mir and unity and replace it with something else. But since this is a phone, i'm guessing its not as simple as adding the maemo repositories and installing X and hildon, right?

nodevel 2015-02-08 18:07

I don't get why you'd think this has anything to do with desktop. Not only it doesn't have X or Wayland, but it also doesn't allow multitasking.

You'd be much better off with Neo900/Pyra or even SailfishOS (Jolla) once XWayland is ported (I think that all works except for touch input for now).

EDIT: I'm not even sure if Ubuntu Touch uses Mir - last time I checked, it used Android's compositor SurfaceFlinger, but this news is almost 2 years old, so it might have changed.

Elleo 2015-02-08 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynx (Post 1460000)

X11 apps can be persuaded to run via XMir, that sort of thing is still in pretty active development though and not yet ready for prime time.

That said Will Cooke already managed to get Libre Office running directly on the phone: https://plus.google.com/+WillCooke/posts/eNUArFBzh3W

Dave999 2015-02-08 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elleo (Post 1460104)
X11 apps can be persuaded to run via XMir, that sort of thing is still in pretty active development though and not yet ready for prime time.

That said Will Cooke already managed to get Libre Office running directly on the phone: https://plus.google.com/+WillCooke/posts/eNUArFBzh3W

What is XMir? Why not Simply call it just Mir. Why the X? Just call the whole package mir :D

jalyst 2015-02-08 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1460126)
What is XMir? Why not Simply call it just Mir. Why the X?

XMir != Mir
Dave, this has all been discussed many times before, you were present, believe it or not.
Sometimes I really worry for you, it's like you have the long-term memory of a fruit fly, I kid :P

Dave999 2015-02-08 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1460130)
XMir != Mir
Dave, this has all been discussed many times before, you were present, believe it or not.
Sometimes I really worry for you, it's like you have the long-term memory of a fruit fly, I kid :P

xMir flying like a fruit fly on top of mir so why not box it together as a mir bundle. Mir. Just Mir. I'm always present, I Kid you not :P

By the way. Do you follow stskeeps hunt for open bits in ubuntu? I have a feeling it will end up as a pissing contest :D Sail vs ubuntu :D.

https://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/564363621476872193

bluefoot 2015-02-10 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1460132)
xMir flying like a fruit fly on top of mir so why not box it together as a mir bundle. Mir. Just Mir. I'm always present, I Kid you not :P

By the way. Do you follow stskeeps hunt for open bits in ubuntu? I have a feeling it will end up as a pissing contest :D Sail vs ubuntu :D.

https://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/564363621476872193

I'd be shocked if it's not hugely more open than Sailfish / the Jolla, re: availability of sources and ease of finding them ... and would seem that will very probably be the case if responses are to be believed. Development is conducted more or less completely in the open, also, unlike Sailfish.

As stskeeps rightly observes, his comments are like throwing stones in a glass house ... or in my view like pissing into the wind. Maybe frustration with situation at Jolla?

Dave999 2015-02-10 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1460300)
I'd be shocked if it's not hugely more open than Sailfish / the Jolla, re: availability of sources and ease of finding them ... and would seem that will very probably be the case if responses are to be believed. Development is conducted more or less completely in the open, also, unlike Sailfish.

As stskeeps rightly observes, his comments are like throwing stones in a glass house ... or in my view like pissing into the wind. Maybe frustration with situation at Jolla?

Personally I think its good when someone poking around. Especially for me as an end-user. But when you work for a competitor you can easy get burned later on in da glass house. My hope is that they come up with a great and easy dual boot from menu so I can switch between sail and ubuntu on daily basis without changing device. That is what they should talk about :)

Stskeeps 2015-02-10 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1460300)

Nah. Getting GPL compliance right with a mobile device is a horrible mess. You need to provide exactly the sources utilized in the system image the user uses. Mediatek kernels are horrible when it comes to GPL compliance. When Android is in the mix (hw adaptation), it becomes even more fun*

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

If you are already having to ask where sources are, there's a problem. Pointing to a git repository isn't enough for a binary deliverable.

EDIT: And for good measure: I mention 'stones in a glasshouse' this because nobody is doing this stuff perfectly. Shipping DVDs with source code (as really is one of the options) is nowhere perfect, may have flaws. But I really hope for their sake they have their legal checks right -- it can stop shipments right in the spot.

Dave999 2015-02-10 18:36

Ubuntu Aquarius commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuOSwg7e0g It's so nice you will watch it twice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9WoSrSIQAIqBIN.jpg

(they have been more than generous towards jollla price :D maybe that is a hint to jolla to fix their pricing ;) ) iPhone is OFC most expensive one.

switch-hitter 2015-02-10 18:45

Quote:

Introducing the first Ubuntu smartphone: the BQ Aquaris E45 Ubuntu Edition.
Available to purchase for a limited time from 09:00-18:00 CET on Wednesday 11th February.
Buy directly from BQ www.bq.com/gb/ubuntu.html

Be quick and start enjoying a world of new experiences.
~ Canonical

sandy_locke 2015-02-11 01:32

I actually like the scope thing. Or to be precise, I dislike the app ecosystem stuff, and I think that phones don't really *need* apps, but more have everything melted into the OS like scope does.

But right now it seems that this phone is more mainstream than other: it connects to google, Facebook, instagram, grooveshar… But what about open-source ? I want CalDav, CardDav, WebDav, Owncloud, Fever or TTRSS, I want to be able to connect to (s)FTP easily and integrated to the phone like the rest...

If someone has any info on what of these will be available I'd greatly appreciate it :-)

Also, what do you guys think of the viability of this phone ? Will they allow to integrate our own stuffs easily ? Like, if I know HTML/JS will I be able to make new scopes etc… ?

There's too much questions, how can they think we can make a decision so abruptly ?

Dave999 2015-02-11 07:04

You don't have to decide today...this isn't last chance to buy a uPhOne.

Your time will come...

I would like to see Aquaris 6 Full Hd Ubuntu edition deluxe.

mikelima 2015-02-11 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy_locke (Post 1460369)
I actually like the scope thing. Or to be precise, I dislike the app ecosystem stuff, and I think that phones don't really *need* apps, but more have everything melted into the OS like scope does.

I kind of agree. This can work beautifully and transparently for users, and the Nokia maemo/meego devices were heading in this direction I think:

Chat/instant messaging is handled centrally by an application, extensible with plugins
Sharing also can be done mostly in the same fashion,

Sailfish is a step backwards in this regard, mostly because the APIs are not available for development from third party. It is probably a temporary problem, but I really hope it is fixed soon.

On the other hand, I understand why third party developers like the "app" echosystem: they get to be visible, show their brand and get some revenue back.

In an open source environment, the pressure to create silos is less, but still, cerating your own application tend to be cooler than working on infrastructure or plugins.

But users would benefit from common services more than from thousands of applications.

By the way, the enphasis on application marketplace is misplaced in general. there may be millions of apps, but end users are going to install sone dozens of applications at most. The trick is to have the right applications available, of course.

kinggo 2015-02-11 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1460380)
uPhOne.

and here we go again :rolleyes:

about scopes, I don't like them, not a bit. I'm very well organized, I know exactly what I want and where to look for it so this modern "you also might be interested in" approach annoys me a lot.

Stskeeps 2015-02-11 09:52

Top order number seen so far by me was 3xxxxx169, delivery in march?

EDIT:

Well, if they sell in batches of let's say, 200, and there's a large number of people that didn't get it, it may make them show that er, lust, to their other friends, who then become interested.. let's see how this pans out.

Dave999 2015-02-11 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 1460398)
Top order number seen so far by me was 3xxxxx169, delivery in march?

EDIT:

Well, if they sell in batches of let's say, 200, and there's a large number of people that didn't get it, it may make them show that er, lust, to their other friends, who then become interested.. let's see how this pans out.

I don't understand what you just said/mean so I will thank you :D er lust What?

aegis 2015-02-11 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikelima (Post 1460389)
Sailfish is a step backwards in this regard, mostly because the APIs are not available for development from third party. It is probably a temporary problem, but I really hope it is fixed soon.

Define "temporary". It's been over a year.

pichlo 2015-02-11 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1460391)
about scopes, I don't like them, not a bit. I'm very well organized, I know exactly what I want and where to look for it so this modern "you also might be interested in" approach annoys me a lot.

+1!

I would put tracker in the same basket. Get rid of it and all that "gallery" malarky and give me a file manager-based media player.

mikecomputing 2015-02-11 12:31

* Where is the ambience/theme support?
* Where is pulleymenus?

UPhone seems very boring and non UI friendly to me...

xanderx 2015-02-11 12:38

Kinda tired of all this media-consumption nonsense. Give me a proper xterm device with call capability.

mikelima 2015-02-11 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1460408)
Define "temporary". It's been over a year.

Yeah, it kind of sucks. But a few APIS got the green light with update10, and there is hope Jolla will move forward with the rest, now that there is competition. :)

Anyway the priority so far has been to improve stability and features of the base os. Which was the right thing to do, I think.

But some effort on documentation and policy for third party is really needed. If the Os was completely open sourced, or only accepted open source applications, things would be take up faster. But it could be a problem for the Jolla company.

The sailfishos site redesign is an hopeful sign, we will have to see if it gets the constant attention it needs.

mscion 2015-02-11 14:13

It seems like Scopes is just some screens containing widgets with a common theme on them. You can do that on any android phone now. Am I missing something?