maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66870)

windows7 2010-12-11 02:16

all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this?

1 Attachment(s)
all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this problem?

wifi in the other hand is fine.

The phone has been working fine, up to a couple of days ago.

I'm in the UK and my network is T-mobile... I understand that t-mobile has been merging with orange and lately i have been receiving messages saying that i can also use orange services, but when i tried, i receive a message saying that they experiencing technical problems, which makes me think this could well be a network issue. T-mobile today proved to be completely hopeless with their automated phone system and lack of information about network status... at one point pointing me to the coverage checker page, the only person i been able to speak is with sales as i have not been able to access the customer support without the telephone, the number they have to call them from non-t-mobile phone suppose to be the same as when you dial 150 but has the technical support option is missing from the menu option, what a nightmere, just to check if there are any reports of network problems, even vodafone offer this information to customers.

If you experience this before, how did you fix it?

Tiboric 2010-12-11 09:03

Re: all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this?

I'm on T-mobile and in the U.K and in not experiencing any problems...
I have two T-mobile lines one Contract and one PAYG and both are fine at the moment, I signed up for the use of orange signal too and all went smooth.

What area are you in?

windows7 2010-12-11 13:08

Re: all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this?

berkshire/thames valley corridor/first noticed when i was at reading station during rush hour.

orange 2121 does not seem to be working for me...

windows7 2010-12-11 13:18

when sending a message with the 'yes' word to 2121, i get:
sorry, we had a problem completling your request. We're working on fixing the problem now. Please try again later. Thanks

So, i'm not sure what to make of this problem, is this a t-mobile service problem due to orange merger or is it something wrong with my n900....

Does anyone know if reflashing the kernel only might cure this type of linux/maemo components?

UPDATE:
phone was sent to nokia headquarters by nokia high street shop, took 9 days to come back and was only repaired, not a replacement but board was supposedetely replaced. working fine since.

ljo 2010-12-11 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by windows7 (Post 894440)
all telephony functions ... are disabled due to a communication error - anyone else experiencing this problem?

If you experience this before, how did you fix it?

Please check all other threads about this before starting a new one. For instance search for "communication problem sim" and you will find a handful threads with more or less the same content.

windows7 2010-12-11 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljo (Post 894632)
Please check all other threads about this before starting a new one. For instance search for "communication problem sim" and you will find a handful threads with more or less the same content.

I have and didn't spot a fix.

DId you spot something relevant that I may have missed? Can you please share it with us? Thank you

windows7 2010-12-11 13:40

Might be worth to also say that there is also a bug raised relating to the phone loosing connection when going out of signal and phone not able to restore connection, i was familiar with it and the workaround i had was to use dual connectivity(GSM/3G)... but i dont beleive this is the same... it probably does not help if there is a network problem and signal is completly lost, where the workaround above meant the phone with switch over from 3g to 2g when signal is lost... if provider is having issues and both signals are lost then is possible this could be the effect of same issue.

casketizer 2010-12-11 14:02

I think this may be a carrier issue. At least sometimes. I had the problem for an entire day a few months ago but it was gone the next day and never came back.
There are three huge threads on it if you search for "telephony disabled" but I don't recall any solution in the cases where the problem persisted....

callam_nffc 2010-12-13 13:15

Im having EXACTLY the same problem, same network/phone etc

Carphone warehouse said theyll get one of their engineers to look at it for me, but im not keen on losing all my music/pictures etc so will have to back them up somewhere first

Any help is greatly appreciated, also ive tried putting another sim in (orange) and get the same problem?

cheers

jedi 2010-12-13 13:17

I've had this same problem and currently my N900 is at Nokia "support" - hopefully being fixed....