maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Fennec Alpha 1 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24432)

Reggie 2008-10-20 18:36

Fennec Alpha 1

Quote:

I'm sure a lot of you have been trying out the latest release of Fennec (Alpha 1) already on your Nokia Maemo devices. If you haven't heard of Fennec, it's the highly anticipated mobile browser from Mozilla, mobile version of Firefox as others would say, that is currently on alpha stage, and primarily being tested on the Maemo platform.
Read the full article.

btornado 2008-10-20 20:49

Re: Fennec Alpha 1

IMO, having to do a right to left gesture, and then having to tap the back button to go to the previous page is rather time consuming.

If gestures are going to be used as the preferred mode of interface, I'd like to suggest the following gestures:

Right to left: Back
Left to right: Forward
Top to bottom: Brings up tab window
Bottom to top: Brings up controls

allnameswereout 2008-10-20 21:23

Top to bottom scrolls down. Bottom to top scrolls up. How are you going to scroll? Telepathy? ;)

BrentDC 2008-10-20 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 235168)
Top to bottom scrolls down. Bottom to top scrolls up. How are you going to scroll? Telepathy? ;)

No, give me a damn scrollbar! :p

JoeF 2008-10-21 00:34

Am I right in assuming this is for N810 only? From the demo it appears that you need a keyboard.

eliagp 2008-10-21 01:01

SAme question, how does the n800 stands here?

dlhuss 2008-10-21 01:24

Nice use of screen real estate!

Please no scroll or menu bars hogging up the already limited screen space.

davidgro 2008-10-21 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 235168)

D-Pad. (Sorry to those of you with an N810 - that's a big reason I won't get one)

And if a gesture is needed to show the controls, it should not be right-to-left: that would be too useful to just mean Back. (Forward is much less needed, so left-to-right can be considered free...)

Edit: I have not tried Fennec, I don't know what the current controls are or if they can be customized.

josiahg777 2008-10-21 01:58

is it just me or is it wicked slow?

otherwise, it's excellent :) the gecko engine scores an 83 on the acid3 and the rendering seems solid so far...

the enine doesn't seem very adept at recognizing swipes however. several times my top to bottom swipe was misinterpreted as a left to right sweep :/ also, double tapping to zoom in only works occasionally.

overall though, i like it :)

scores:
Rendering quality: 9
Rendering speed: 8
UI design: 8
UI speed/usability: 4

looking forward to more of this!

budsang1 2008-10-21 02:07

i'm using it right now on my n800 with the blue tooth keyboard, i couldn't work it without it. I really like how much screen it uses, as in all of it. It does seem to be kinda sluggish on the n800 though. Movements are slow, taps are delayed. Hopefully it'll get better. I can see myself really liking it.