maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   damaged LCD (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23899)

nandi2 2008-09-26 16:41

damaged LCD

While talking to Verizon and getting a runaround about an e-mail set-up problem ("we don't support portable devices") I accidentally knocked my Nokia N810 off my desk. It hit the floor and in a freak accident the LCD is now damaged -- it looks like a combination of spiderweb cracks and burns. The tablet still functions so far --it just looks damaged. :(

Any suggestions of how to get this fixed or replaced?
(The tablet is new, I've had it about a month but the warranty is just for defects, not other loss or damage).

Benson 2008-09-26 18:09

Re: damaged LCD

Hmmm... definitely not fun.

As I understand, it's a pretty straightforward swap, and the displays are available online. It's been discussed plenty, search around.

As for how to replace it, Thoughtfix's disassembly video should be a good start, and you may only need to rip the front bezel off, which is the work of 15 seconds once you've got the hang of it. (Just looked, and I think the flex may connect around back, which would be harder. Still covered in his video.)

If you're not comfortable doing the repair yourself, you can send it in and let them charge you whatever to fix it; I think someone's done that and posted what they were charged, but I could be wrong.

pope523 2008-09-26 21:05

You mean that you put it on the charger and when you came back the LCD was shattered. Sounds under warranty to me.

eliagp 2008-09-26 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pope523 (Post 227799)
You mean that you put it on the charger and when you came back the LCD was shattered. Sounds under warranty to me.

I agree "spontaneus knocking of small devices leading to LCD breakage" should be covered by the warranty. ^^
I have broken two nokia cellphone screens, once in a bathroom, and once in a very stupid incident involving a dog, a leash, a bike and a very poorly placed cellphone. When explaining this to my dad it got shortened to a bike. Or a poorly placed cellphone. can't really remember.

nandi2 2008-09-26 22:15

Thanks, all, for good advice though different approaches. :) I am encouraged to try to get it fixed,one way or another, as it isn't as much fun with the LCD looking so un-pristine.

eliagp 2008-09-26 22:24

good luck with that. Its never as nice guessing whats underneath the big black blot. You didn't lost touchscreen, btw? my sis broke her tablet PC, and couldn't use touchscreen anymore.

Morhas 2008-09-28 22:17

Manufacturers are jerks when it comes to cracked LCD displays. Did the LCD crack and leak the fluid, or was it just the digitizer that has cracked. From what yo described it sounds like the digitizer, which is significantly less expensive than a new lcd screen.

nandi2 2008-10-01 15:32

Looks like it cracked and leaked. There's a dark streak in one small area next to one of the spiderweb cracks. I can still use the tablet as it is. But will definitely have to see about replacing the lcd at some point.

Has anybody else had to replace their lcd?