maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish OS (officially) on Sony Xperia devices (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99017)

HtheB 2017-02-27 11:59

Sailfish OS (officially) on Sony Xperia devices

This is being discussed on the "Jolla at MWC 2017" thread, but this really deserve it's own thread for people who might have missed it.

In short: Sony Xperia phones (starting with the Sony Xperia X) will get Sailfish OS support!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5qvSMdXEAAs963.jpg

Press release:

Jolla adds support for Sailfish OS on Sony Mobile’s Xperia devices:
https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads...NAL.pdf?x12599

Other press releases:
Jala Partners with Jolla in Its Endeavor to Achieve Technological Independence in Latin America:
https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads...017.pdf?x12599

Jolla announces Sailfish China consortium aiming to build a local mobile operating system for the Chinese market:
https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads...NAL.pdf?x12599

benny1967 2017-02-27 12:04

Re: Sailfish OS on Sony Xperia (official)

It's still not clear, though, if this Xperia branch will come with all the proprietary stuff (especially Alien Dalvik) or if it will be only a "community port" like thing. There was no information from Jolla so far on this topic.

BluesLee 2017-02-27 12:18

Whatever supports means .. Maybe like the announcement on former MWC that Fairphone 2 is supported? At least the community gets some additional devices to play with and proper 64 bit support.

chenliangchen 2017-02-27 12:40

"and to offer our community a follow-up device for the Jolla C launched
last year.”

Does that mean another 1000 limited device without warranty??

KylliOrvokki 2017-02-27 13:20

Mii make loove you loong time.
http://uploads.suomimobiili.fi/2017/...onyXperia.jpeg

Where can I send my money!!

KylliOrvokki 2017-02-27 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1524205)
"

Shouldn't Xperia X already be certified so no problems with warranty?

Hopefully there is unlimited or large amount of devices available. Like Google is doing with their Pixel.

Fellfrosch 2017-02-27 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1524205)
"and to offer our community a follow-up device for the Jolla C launched
last year.”

I don't think so. Well I don't know about the warranty. But using standard Sony devices probably leads to an unlimited availability. Because Jolla don't have to order huge batch sizes but can get them in much smaller batches. So the risk for Jolla is dramatically lower than with Jolla C.

KylliOrvokki 2017-02-27 14:03

Just watched some Xperia X review videos from Youtube.

Finally we Sailors get the camera what we deserve! :D

coderus 2017-02-27 14:44

https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads...2017_FINAL.pdf

HtheB 2017-02-27 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1524229)

I've already posted it in the first post :p

deprecated 2017-02-27 15:22

This is exciting. I'm probably going to buy an Xperia X now.

robthebold 2017-02-27 15:44

Exiting! 4G service in US probably. Nice camera. SFOS officially available. 5" display is large but not too large to fit in pants (insert joke later). Coming soon(tm). Please let this br true, don't make it only available in rose gold :P, and tell me where to send my money!

Anyone here laid hands on one?

Jedibeeftrix 2017-02-27 15:57

FP2 seems to have spent forever in purgatory as an official port, might we expect something more immediately appealing to non-software engineers?

deprecated 2017-02-27 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1524238)
FP2 seems to have spent forever in purgatory as an official port, might we expect something more immediately appealing to non-software engineers?

Sony has been pretty adamant about their whole kernel porting thing, and with a company that size I'd say it'll be delivered much faster than FP2 etc. This seems a partnership that both the OEM (Sony) and the software firm (Jolla) want, and are actively engaged in.

As soon as we have notice of which model range the official ports will work on, I'm picking up at least one device. Hoping they get the Xperia X Compact version working fairly rapidly, as that device is just about perfect for me. Reminds me of pre-Lumia death + Nokia N9 design. I won't mind the Sony branding as it's a sensibly sized device and looks fantastic.

Jedibeeftrix 2017-02-27 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1524236)
tell me where to send my money!

Anyone here laid hands on one?

Amazon UK is listing them at £317, which is a price (for a spec) that I am far more comfortable handing over to sony then I ever could have been handing over to Jolla for the J1.

The difference in spec/quality is day and night!

Just want to know if there will in fact be SFOS pre-loads available for sale, or, whether it's simply a case of buy a stock Xperia X and have a (relatively) easy time loading on the officially supported image....?

deprecated 2017-02-27 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1524243)
Amazon UK is listing them at £317, which is a price (for a spec) that I am far more comfortable handing over to sony then I ever could have been handing over to Jolla for the J1.

Just want to know if there will in fact be SFOS pre-loads available for sale, or, whether it's simply a case of buy a stock Xperia X and have a (relatively) easy time loading on the officially supported image....?

Yeah, they're pricey (for the spec), but they're leaps and bounds more powerful and infinitely more available than Jolla 1/2. Plus they're 64-bit. If I had to guess from context in the announcement, I'd say that you can buy an Xperia X and flash the official port on it once it becomes available... and LATER, I can pretty much guarantee Jolla will release a 3rd phone that is manufactured by Sony - with a few customizations. Namely, preloaded Sailfish and Jolla/Sailfish/Sony branding.

It's what makes the most sense to me.

kinggo 2017-02-27 16:20

I'll wait for something with bigger screnn. This new 6incher looks nice :D

feedme 2017-02-27 16:22

Soon available :), sorry could not resist ,,,.

deprecated 2017-02-27 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1524246)
I'll wait for something with bigger screnn. This new 6incher looks nice :D

The Xperia X is 5". Do you really want a 6" screen? My Nexus 6 sits on a shelf because using it is impossible unless I sit down and dedicate my full attention to it.

Pim 2017-02-27 16:28

This is my dream come true. I love Sony, and I love SailfishOS. Now I can get both!

mrsellout 2017-02-27 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1524243)

There's a German version priced at £282.67 from a seller there ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new )

But I'd wait before there's something concrete (eg. look at the FP2 thread), there's no indication how they'll roll out the AD component - will we finally be able to buy it in the Jolla store, or will it only be available to people who buy a device through the Jolla shop.

kinggo 2017-02-27 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by deprecated (Post 1524248)
The Xperia X is 5". Do you really want a 6" screen? My Nexus 6 sits on a shelf because using it is impossible unless I sit down and dedicate my full attention to it.

Well, I'd take 6 over 5 any time. I have 4.5", 5" and 5.5" and have to say that 4.5" on Jolla is the worst experience outside of some basic functions.
But 5.5" would do. And even 5" is better than 4.5"

lantern 2017-02-27 17:58

kinggo
Don't compromise, get yourself a 7-inch tablet. :crazy:

JiiHoo 2017-02-27 18:05

Finally. My J1 is starting to show its age (screen cracked, battery goes easily flat in cold, etc) and I have been waiting proper official replacement to come up (AD & MfE are must for me).

JiiHoo 2017-02-27 18:18

Hmm, Engadget has following about schedule: "Jolla says it won't be out until late spring/early summer."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/27/...xperia-phones/

TMavica 2017-02-27 18:35

I want Xperia XZ Premium with SailfishOS

NX500 2017-02-27 19:01

Sony X1? :o

kinggo 2017-02-27 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantern (Post 1524262)
kinggo
Don't compromise, get yourself a 7-inch tablet. :crazy:

have a 10" that can make calls also :p

otsaloma 2017-02-27 19:26

Excellent news. Looks like Xperia will replace my Jolla 1.

Even though they don't say it, I'd be very surprised if Jolla's engineers wouldn't soon be using Xperias themselves. Professional dogfooding combined with cooperation from a quality hardware manufacturer should give us a good result. Whether Xperias will be sold with SFOS or I need to install it myself doesn't really matter if the adaptation is good. The community ports are impressive, but for daily use I really want a phone with zero issues.

sylwiusz 2017-02-27 19:46

Great news! Finally the only OS capable of being alternative to mainstream iOS and Android will be available to much wider audience! Sony is almost as brave as sir Robin :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE

jukk 2017-02-27 19:54

There is one good thing with a Sony phone. At least there is a flasher available for Linux, so I was able to upgrade Android easily. E.g. with an LG phone, I found no way to upgrade Android, it required a Windows PC (which I don't have).

olympus 2017-02-27 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1524265)
I want Xperia XZ Premium with SailfishOS

that makes two of us. But i wonder how will sailfish cope with that 4k screen and ultra slow-motion videos.

romu 2017-02-27 20:23

This is great news. But would be even greater with the support of the X Compact !

mscion 2017-02-27 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1524255)
Well, I'd take 6 over 5 any time. I have 4.5", 5" and 5.5" and have to say that 4.5" on Jolla is the worst experience outside of some basic functions.
But 5.5" would do. And even 5" is better than 4.5"

Love the size but the ultra has a "midrange" processor.

SoC: MediaTek Helio P20 Octa Core 64bit

Has Sailfish run on this type processor?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/son...-ultra-review/

MikeHG 2017-02-27 23:37

Do any of the Xperias have replaceable batteries?

I'm looking at this and thinking "Eek!"...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Xp...lacement/65962

aegis 2017-02-28 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHG (Post 1524303)
Do any of the Xperias have replaceable batteries?

Nope. And if you want to keep their waterproof rating then if you do replace the battery you've got to make sure it's all sealed up again.

From the Z3 on they even have a service test that does a pressure test to make sure you've sealed them up.

Tsippaduida 2017-02-28 06:40

Maybe later we get Jolla branded Sony device with other half mk 2? It would be nice to get modern device with the ability to get all kinds of gimmicks on it.

It looks like I'm going to get my first Sony product since the audio CD root kit case. No need to hurry, my two J1 phones are working and I have one in original package waiting. While I wait for world domination by Sailfish OS, I still use my N900. I have one more original Nokia battery for it, so if I do not break it, I might get another two or three years, even longer if willing to tolerate sub one day charging intervals.

gaelic 2017-02-28 08:37

I wish for the new XA1 to arrive with Sailfish in May or June.

I personally will never by a phone (no matter what hardware specs) for 500 or 600€. Its just a tool which is more or less obsoltete 2 or 3 years later.

olympus 2017-02-28 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaelic (Post 1524319)

I personally will never by a phone (no matter what hardware specs) for 500 or 600€. Its just a tool which is more or less obsoltete 2 or 3 years later.

Well i partly agree with you but i used my Jolla 1 for two years and then switched to Jolla C because it was getting so slow. Same situation with Jolla C now, not mentioning low spec screen and camera on both devices. So i guess if i get an Xperia XZ Premium i'll be happy to use it for more than two years.

kinggo 2017-02-28 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaelic (Post 1524319)

not gonna happen. AFAIK, SONY open devices program is only for qualcomm based devices.