maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   [SOLVED] N9 Proximity Sensor - Failure to Reactivate Screen? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83384)

solatic 2012-04-01 20:02

[SOLVED] N9 Proximity Sensor - Failure to Reactivate Screen?

I started to have this weird problem with my proximity sensor - when the proximity sensor activates, the screen turns off (normal) but when the proximity sensor deactivates, the screen will refuse to go back to high-powered mode. For example, someone will call me, I'll answer the call, put the phone to my ear, but when I take the phone away from my ear, then the screen is blank. I can press the lock key to make the low-power screen appear. The phone will seen ring and the missed call logo will appear on the low-power screen, but I cannot answer the call.

I know the high-powered screen works because I'm using it right now to post this message, and because I can lock the phone and immediately unlock it (i.e. without putting it in my pocket). I know the proximity sensor detects being out of the pocket because I can lock the phone, leave it on my desk and keep the clock showing up. I know the proximity sensor can detect being out of my pocket because the low-power screen will show. But for some reason the high-powered screen cannot reactivate after the proximity sensor has been activated, until I reboot the phone.

Any ideas? I'm going to reflash the phone when I get home otherwise and see if that fixes it, because even though this is ostensibly a hardware problem, it feels like a software problem.

Any ideas? I'm going to refresh

tl_xx3k 2012-04-02 04:45

Re: N9 Proximity Sensor - Failure to Reactivate Screen?

Some themes might cause that. I had same issue with Cyan75-theme. So if you've done any theme changing or ui-related mods, try to set the original blanco-theme and restore ui-mods to original.

If it works, you can try to set theme and/or ui-mods again see is the problem showing again.

dansus 2012-04-02 22:48

I have a similar problem or maybe its just normal but during calls the screen goes to black and i cant use the phone at all, not even to end the call.

I presume this is not normal behaviour, known bug? any solutions?

Thanks.

solatic 2012-04-03 01:08

Hey guys,

I just reset the settings on my phone, and that solved the problem. I'm inclined to think that it's a theme issue connected maybe to some of the stuff I did with N9Tweak.

wnt 2012-08-22 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansus (Post 1187389)
I have a similar problem or maybe its just normal but during calls the screen goes to black and i cant use the phone at all, not even to end the call.

I presume this is not normal behaviour, known bug? any solutions?

I had the same very frustrating problem. I managed to solve it by opening the phone, removing the proximity sensor ribbon cable and reinstalling it back to the connector.

After I put the phone back together and booted it the proximity sensor strarted acting normal again.

mousse04 2012-08-22 09:30

Re: [SOLVED] N9 Proximity Sensor - Failure to Reactivate Screen?

I had the same problem yesterday and it was coming the system-ui mod from N9Tweak. The hacky brightness toggle was the root cause if it can help

suyog 2013-10-20 07:45

I am also having this same issue. Is there any way to know for sure that sensor(hardware) is broken?
This will help me to decide whether to buy new one or not.

jbeemer01 2017-06-14 17:32

Dropped my N9 yesterday and now the standby screen doesnt stay on. When I get a call I have to tapp the screen continuously until it comes on. after playing with it for a while I realized that if I squeeze the upper left corner of the screen everything works fine. Is it possible that the sensor is broken or knocked out of position?

I opened it up but didnt see anything.

aspergerguy 2017-06-14 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbeemer01 (Post 1529187)
Is it possible that the sensor is broken or knocked out of position?I opened it up but didnt see anything.

Did you try releasing the two multi connectors from display to motherboard and snapping them back into place? The proximity sensor (small square connector on mo-bo) is only held in place to LCD by double sided tape so not that critical, but need to see that it is in place as you squeeze LCD back into polycarbonate casing.

jbeemer01 2017-06-15 04:37

Thank you for your response.
No I did not disconnect the connectors. But IIRC the sensor was not attached to the LCD. I will open it again and take another look and try to re-attach it to the LCD