maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   N9 - PR1.2 Features (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82616)

afaq 2012-02-27 13:39

N9 - PR1.2 Features

3 Attachment(s)
PR1.2 Released today. So i thought i'd stop spamming that thread in asking questions about the new features by collecting them in this one.

If you are having issues downloading/installing PR1.2 please refer to the link above.

If you are facing issues with PR1.2 inc bugs etc. Please visit this thread.

We knew before the update hit us that a few things were expected. I'd like to build on that list and get into gritty details for those of us who might like to know every single thing thats changed.

Features Added/Bugs Fixed

General
1 Folders. To rename a folder press and hold inside the created folder to see a space to type the name.
2 Default font changed. Including height and weight.
3 Contact Book has the 'Search' bar visible by default.
4 Each Contact Book entry now has wording "Synct to - MFE - <email address>". This isnt 'clickable' and seems odd as it takes up quite a bit of space without clear functionality.
5 IM Availability screen has been changed. It is now dark themed.
6 Searching for contacts has been optimised and now allows you to search in Skype from the same screen.
7 Swype keyboard now has bigger keys. Cant emphasise how great of an update this is. Also they seem to have fixed the "P" bug in swype. Previously starting a word with P in swype resulted in the keyboard being swiped. This no longer happens.
8 Turning off the device causes the LED to stay on. Once it goes off the device can be turned on again.
9 All UI menus have changed from white grey to black grey.
10 Support for D-Pad arrows.
11 Snooze/Off Buttons now much larger for the Alarm.
12 New Contacts option: "Prefer Avatars from" and prefer Nick name
13 Swype languages limited to Chosen list only.
14 Random brightness changes seem to have disappeared. Improvement on light sensor behaviour?
15 "Conntect to the Internet" pop up screen gone when offline? (Need confirmation from a few others).

Homescreen/Standby Screen
1 LED now 'breathes' when the device is being charged.
2 Facebook/Twitter notifications on the home screen.
3 Swiping down to close an app now results in a dark shadow being cast on the open window. I suppose this is to indicate the swipe will close the app? Nice touch.
4 Closing an app no longer results in the app appearing in the multi tasking window for a split second before closing.
5 Disable Backgound connection for mobile data connection (ie. if you want to allow only WLAN to be used for bg connection).

Web
1 Copy and paste in the Browser.
2 Most visited links on the Browser now has the top 2 visited sites in Bold and same size. (see image)
3 Opening and closing a link from a browser sends you back to the original page as oppose to the multi tasking window.
4 Browser now remembers passwords.
5 The default browser can be changed to Firefox if installed.
Just go to Settings -> Applications -> Web.

Media
1 Video Calling (Supported but no 3rd Party app available to make use. More info needed!)
2 Camera improvement (Shortcut to enable/disable flash, New filters for video recording? and an option to turn on flash whilst recording)
3 Gallery Improvement (Face tagging)
4 Some new Wallpapers inserted in Gallery?
5 Media Sharing. Support for DLNA enabled devices (not tested)
6 More image editing options in the Gallery.
7 Selecting multiple files in the image gallery causes a purple haze to appear over the images. Previously only a purple outline was used.
8 Music. Now you can delete a music file straight from the media player.
9 Music Player supports Playlist making
10 Support for Dropbox
11 Hitting the Album cover whilst playing a song shows the current play list instead of pausing the song.
12 Camera has continuous shutter mode. If you hold it, it will take 8 pics in rapid succession.

Email
1 Email. The words "up-to-date" now appear when a mailbox has been synced in the last 1 minute.
2 Threaded email.
3 Email. A failure to sync an inbox now shows a red arrow on the notification bar.

Maps
1 Improved scrolling in most apps. Including the Ovi/Nokia Market. Though lag still appears unexpectedly.
2 Drive. The Drive App now has imported all the Favourites from the Maps application. Also the panning/zooming is much smoother. I also note that street names now re-flow with you to ensure you can always see the street names.

If anyone finds an official change log with everything detailed please share. In the meantime please share your discoveries.

aironeous 2012-02-27 13:47

Re: N9 - PR1.2 Features

There was a 40minute video posted on youtube Jan 31 by a developer showing all the changes.
http://youtu.be/7xJeEujtwoQ

afaq 2012-02-27 13:48

Good find. Unable to view the video at the moment so cant add more. Also was the PR1.2 image used in that video Beta? It's possible some things were added/modified since.

aironeous 2012-02-27 13:51

Here is all the commits since pr 1.1
http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouc...commits/master
and you can find also there commits for pr 1.3

aironeous 2012-02-27 14:00

Posted by Vitaminj in the other thread

"The Maliit VKB now supports arrow keys! Hurrah!
Edit the VKB XML yourself manually, or use MesInput from the store to download a VKB with arrows.
Even shift+arrow works for highlighting! "

SaQ 2012-02-27 14:06

Nokia market scrolling is now faster, but it lags a bit more too.

bigfatdeal 2012-02-27 14:07

- Swype keyboard now has bigger keys.
- Threaded email

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it has probably been drowned out in all the excitement : Can someone please post their updated Maps, Drive and Music version numbers?

Also, I can't seem to update Spotify.

afaq 2012-02-27 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdeal (Post 1170559)
- Swype keyboard now has bigger keys.
- Threaded email

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it has probably been drowned out in all the excitement : Can someone please post their updated Maps, Drive and Music version numbers?

Also, I can't seem to update Spotify.

Drive v2.0.8+0m7

Maps Version 4.2.55

SaQ 2012-02-27 14:28

Gallery freezer pretty often, and feels unstable. But that image editing, and face recognition is quite nice

Kozzi 2012-02-27 14:55

Music Player supports Playlist making and you can disable Backgound connection for mobile data connection (ie. if you want to allow only WLAN to be used for bg connection). Homescreen background can now be enabled using Homescreen Settings app from the store.

bigfatdeal 2012-02-27 15:07

Annoying new "feature". PR1.2 wants to let me know every time it fails to sync my email. For example: if, for some reason, it cannot read my gmail account, I get the red downward pointing arrow and "1 transfer failed" in my status bar.

aironeous 2012-02-27 15:10

The history appears below the top sites in the browser now. Also I'm not accidentally hitting links when trying to scroll like I used to all the time wasting time and data.
Entering text into this text box through the browser is faster too.

Muzimak 2012-02-27 15:10

Quick question off topic, how do U open a Full Facebook Site, I hate the Mobile Version, Wikipedia gives an option to permanently switch it off, google gives a one time option too....?

afaq 2012-02-27 15:12

I use Opera. it auto loads the full desktop version. I havent figured out a way to change this in the default browser yet.

bigfatdeal 2012-02-27 15:13

Also, afaq, I have two N9s - one 64 GB Made in Finland and one 16GB Made in China : The 16GB N9 didn't have the Swype bug where it would change the vkbd if you pressed the "p" key. I always assumed it had something to do with the different screen protectors I had on them.

dietyyli 2012-02-27 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 1170526)
14. LED now 'breathes' when the device is being charged.

This is how it's been for me since pr 1.0.

abyzthomas 2012-02-27 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dietyyli (Post 1170618)

Is there a way to turn this off. I charge my phone by my bed at night. I would hate this if it is going to flash all night.

I was happy my LED was not doing anything. There is a charing icon on the screen which is enough for me.

nbedford 2012-02-27 15:22

How to user 'Birthdays' calendar, are birthdays automatically added or there is some menu in contacts?

afaq 2012-02-27 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dietyyli (Post 1170618)

It was like this for some. Issue was around consistency. PR 1.1 removed this feature from my device.

afaq 2012-02-27 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbedford (Post 1170621)
How to user 'Birthdays' calendar, are birthdays automatically added or there is some menu in contacts?

Birthdays for contacts appear in the calendar. I am not using any 3rd party App.

Skogger 2012-02-27 15:35

Also, I can hear a little hissing sound when swiping down to close...

Dialog buttons now have a blue colouring

I hated when in 1.1 I accidentally pressed a facebook update on the events screen and tried to close it, it always still loaded the facebook app. Now it actually closes immediately and stops loading. :D

mariusmssj 2012-02-27 15:37

bugs:

Emoticons gone!
http://i.imgur.com/ESA5q.png

Automatic internet connection does not disconnect after using nokia apps. [Gonna upload a video now]

nbedford 2012-02-27 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 1170627)
Birthdays for contacts appear in the calendar. I am not using any 3rd party App.

Yes I see mine in there too now, but not contatcts that only have birthday imported from facebook. In this case is there a way to copy the facebook birthday info directly into the phone contact/calendar database?

RoXBee 2012-02-27 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skogger (Post 1170629)
Also, I can hear a little hissing sound when swiping down to close...

I heart too. What is that??:confused:

Skogger 2012-02-27 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoXBee (Post 1170633)
I heart too. What is that??:confused:

It is very cool! :)

RoXBee 2012-02-27 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skogger (Post 1170636)
It is very cool! :)

I supposed It was a camera's focus sound :p

Lustmored 2012-02-27 15:51

Anyone succesful with finding video call option?

I cannot find it. Missing feature? :(

Dragoss91 2012-02-27 15:56

I don't see any difference if I change color profile to vivid or subdued , it might be related to als sensor ? I have disabled the als and max brightness .

Lustmored 2012-02-27 15:59

The difference is in something related to contrast.

Colors are much brighter with vivid and dimmed with the other one.

abyzthomas 2012-02-27 16:07

Anybody noticed any improvement in the antenna performance and stability?

Hambert 2012-02-27 16:10

What about new message/missed call breathing LED indicator? I was looking fordward for it, since i don't use the standby screen :(

PD: The update download is going slow as hell :mad:

afaq 2012-02-27 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambert (Post 1170656)
What about new message/missed call breathing LED indicator? I was looking fordward for it, since i don't use the standby screen :(

Unfortunately this has not been implemented. I think the LED overall has been neglected in sight of the standby screen. either they use it in full conjunction or stop it all together.

Arie 2012-02-27 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambert (Post 1170656)

At least you have PR1.2... I still haven't received it.

cddiede 2012-02-27 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1170668)

Neither do I. But it's probably a blessing in disguise since by the time we see the update available, the servers will be less slammed then they are now.

Hambert 2012-02-27 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1170668)

Go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Updates tab and tap the refresh button up at the right. Thats how I unlocked the update today by accident, maybe it works for you too :)

Bernard 2012-02-27 16:53

Are these all the new features?

It was rumored that it would have dropbox support?
Does it?
Does Skype or Google Talk work with video calling?

mrsellout 2012-02-27 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 1170526)
Bugs/lacking features that still annoy me
1 Twitter. Still unable to retweet in the official app.

Long-press the tweet and you get the option to re-tweet. At least it does in PR1.1 (not upgraded yet).

NOkk3r1 2012-02-27 16:54

Wuhuu!!! One of the features everybody(I at least :D ) have been waiting is there!! And that is of course support for arrows(d-pad) on non-swype keyboards!!! Now I just have to make proper scandinavian keyboard with easy access to arrows as english already exists.

Update: I just noticed also that when you are browsing and open a new window, read it, and then when you close it, it goes back to last browsed window(from where you clicked the link), not to the any of the home screens.. I like that a lot

Aparaatti 2012-02-27 17:01

Dropbox login info is in the accounts list (not sure if it's that in english). At least you can send pictures to db.

TMavica 2012-02-27 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hambert (Post 1170675)
Go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Updates tab and tap the refresh button up at the right. Thats how I unlocked the update today by accident, maybe it works for you too :)

whats ur product code?