maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition July 2016: "Freedom" (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96923)

mosen 2016-07-02 11:37

Camera phone competition July 2016: "Freedom"

In the light of brexit and a discussed öxit, it most interests me how much people differ on the definition and the ways how to achive a common interest, freedom.

So why not utilize this controversial topic to generate a broad theme everybody can contribute to.

What does freedom mean to you?
Something you define as the complete opposite?
You captured someone expressing his freedom?

Good, exactly what i am looking for :)
The rules are known:

Photos must be taken during this month
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used
Last three days of this month are for voting

loose agreements until Halflife_4_life returns:
Voting starts approximately 3 days before the month ends
Everybody feel free to start the voting
No new pictures after voting has started
Winner will be announced by a member having the time to count the votes during first 2 days of coming month.

Last month, June 2016 "Fish"

catbus 2016-07-02 19:31

Re: Camera phone competition July 2016: "Freedom"

[freedom]
Again... No Freedom here... So I have to figure out something... ;)
[/freedom]

robthebold 2016-07-02 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1508864)
[freedom]
Again... No Freedom here... So I have to figure out something...
[/freedom]

Think of it as ..."just another word for 'nothin' left to lose'"

pichlo 2016-07-02 20:21

Freedom is the consciousness of necessity.

catbus 2016-07-02 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1508865)
Think of it as ..."just another word for 'nothin' left to lose'"

Well. I really know what that word means... My previous message was kind of "weekend-post with wine and beer" ;)

And also I must continue my "no, nothing here" -style ;) - Sorry OT.

gerbick 2016-07-03 02:14

I think I still a picture of my recent trip that said "Welcome to Canada"... that'll work, right?

mosen 2016-07-03 10:12

Hmm, the rules would make it necessary to go there again for an even more recent shot. To make it quick and fullfill the non-us members expectations, you could just stop by the nearest walmart to pose with some guns or get yourself some Moon Rocks for a more controversial picture :p

jellyroll 2016-07-03 11:36

I like this topic. Free world, free bags and free snobbing.
US citizens be complaining about gun shootings while any kind of ****** inside the country can own a loaded or unregisterd gun. Stop complaining and vote massively for law changes. Ther're many other ways to shoo bears and wolves.

gerbick 2016-07-03 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellyroll (Post 1508897)
I like this topic. Free world, free bags and free snobbing.
US citizens be complaining about gun shootings while any kind of ****** inside the country can own a loaded or unregisterd gun. Stop complaining and vote massively for law changes. Ther're many other ways to shoo bears and wolves.

So, via my limited American ability to read and comprehend, you're stating that I should take a recent pic with my guns whilst wearing the highly coveted 3 howling wolves t-shirt, right?

RealJohnGalt 2016-07-05 08:18

I spent my 4th of July shooting (friend's m4, a few various pistols, my glock, and my saiga-12), drinking, and helping cut down dead and dangerous trees...as any red-blooded American should spend their holiday doing :). The only possible improvement could be laughing at Brits :P

The tree chopping is where it got interesting. One tree contained a community roost of bats, and most adults were killed when it fell while some were able to fly away (like the Batman origin story). I then heard a loud and high-pitched chirping noise.

One of the dead female adults was sheltering a group of eleven live baby bats underneath it's wing. Many were approximately the size of a "quarter" coin (again, American currency because FREEDOM), and had yet to grow fur.

I used bark and thick gloves (due to disease) to put them in a bucket, and cover it in a warm garage. I've been feeding them hourly with goat milk, formula, and meal worms since. And will continue to until I can get them to a wildlife refuge after the holiday.

Here they are (11 in total, they huddle together): https://i.imgur.com/QzAMSpR.jpg < NOT my submission.

And here's my submission:
https://i.imgur.com/GDeyuuL.jpg
This is a light no-bake cheesecake with lemon rind, strawberries, and blueberries. I've recently been running or biking each morning, so it also signifies the freedom I now have to eat (for the most part) whatever I want :).

PS: none of the photos are great, per the drinking, however the conditions for the bat photos were difficult to control. I also didn't want to get my phone too close to the bats, or shine bright lights at them.

The phone used was a nexus 5 with SailfishOS 2.0.2.45.

pichlo 2016-07-05 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJohnGalt (Post 1509004)
One tree contained a community roost of bats, and most adults were killed when it fell

That "laughing at the Brits" part would be very appropriate, then. Over here, killing bats or even evicting them from your own loft is against the law.

tommo 2016-07-05 08:52

Freedom for bats everywhere, except America where they would probably be shot by a 9 year old....

robthebold 2016-07-05 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJohnGalt (Post 1509004)
I spent my 4th of July shooting (friend's m4, a few various pistols, my glock, and my saiga-12), drinking, and helping cut down dead and dangerous trees...

Wow. If anybody's got a more bizarre tale of their Fourth of July (or other holiday) celebration, I'd love to hear it*. Also, what could possibly go wrong?

Nice cheesecake, BTW.

*Bastille Day, I'm looking at you . . .

RealJohnGalt 2016-07-06 04:21

Again, OT and not submission photos. But I might as well follow through :).

All 11 bats survived, and they were taken to a wildlife center near a local university. They were fed, and brought back along with a cedar bat house so a mother can find them and take care of them. When we went to set it up, we also found an approximately two-day old baby still attached to a dead mother, that we hydrated and stuck in the house.
Photos (still taken with nexus 5, 2.0.2.45 sfos) and a closeup of a dehydrated baby:
http://i.imgur.com/QrHOnl7.jpg

To clarify as well: I wasn't drunk when I went shooting. I was also raised around guns, and learned gun safety at an early age -- along with the idea that guns stay locked up unless necessary. I've never known anyone (anecdotal) to be injured in a gun-related accident, yet know two people who have separately stopped robberies from escalating through their use of legally concealed firearms.

The US isn't quite as absurd when it comes to gun ownership as many internet communities would infer. Additionally in my state, civilians are required to go to multiple gun safety classes before they can even pursue a concealed carry permit. I like to think of the rare injury as natural selection's vengeance however ;P

juiceme 2016-07-06 08:58

Absolutely beautiful, I have never seen a baby bat so close!

catbus 2016-07-07 10:34

Is his name Ben?

briest 2016-07-29 13:24

http://lemur.hg.pl/i/p/1m1kb0u.jpeg

The place is called Freedom Square. No, it's not the reason for the photo, it's only coincidence. What made me consider the place was its history.

Province I live in has quite interesting history. Independences, partitions, tens of principalities, belonging to half of European states (ok, maybe not so much, Poland, Bohemia, Hungary (once), Austria, Prussia, German Empire, Poland, III Reich, Poland...), and even one Mongol invasion (13th century, battle of Legnica, the most western point of Genghis' empire armies reach). So, inhabitants from many nations (well, no Mongols I know of), strong bunch of "locals" with no respect to surrounding states and all neighbours claiming "Ours!" for this or that reason.

The city I live in was established mere 150 years ago, under German rule. The square was named Wilhelmsplatz (William's Square) in honor of German emperor Wilhelm I and in the middle a monument was erected -- Zweikaiserdenkmal (Two Emperors Monument) -- for Wilhelm I and Friedrich III.

When I World War ended, the province was still disputed between Germany, Poland and Czechoslovakia. After three Polish uprisings, some civil war and plebiscite... all got some; the city became capital of Polish part of the province. In the meantime, some time between the second and third uprising, the monument was blown up by insurgents.
Soon, there was a new one -- the monument-grave of an unknown insurgent. Square became Freedom Square for the first time.

In 1939 Germans came back, this time with Hitler; the monument of insurgent was demolished soon and the whole province was incorporated into Nazi Germany. The square became Wilhelmsplatz again.

In 1945, after Red Army throw the Germans out and the city with most, but not whole province became Polish again, a new monument was built (on Freedom Square), as a thanks to Red Army soldiers. In '50s whole city was shortly renamed to Stalinogród (~Stalin's Borough) and another monument was erected (still for Red Army soldiers, though).

After 1989 more and more objections were held against the Red Army conduct back in '45 and eventually in 2014 the monument was moved to a Soviet war cementery nearby.

What you see in the picture is the empty pedestal left from the last monument. No proposition for any new "tenant" got much traction so far.

I like it this way; I see no point in erecting another monument that will inevitably mean "pride" to some but "oppression" to others. As is, it means to me the most basic freedom one can get from the powers - "just let us be".

Made with N9, slightly cropped.

mosen 2016-07-29 23:08

End of an intense month for me.
Barely saw the day of light and realized that the small freedoms left are here to be exercised extensively.
Like looking at the sky from a lounger for some relaxing minutes.

http://mosushi.net/misc/20160729_006.jpg

taken with Jolla C

imaginaryenemy 2016-07-31 11:27

http://imgur.com/kUDZce7.jpg
http://imgur.com/kUDZce7

Nothing says freedom like an animal in the wild doing whatever it wants. This frog was taking a bath in Lake Superior and couldn't have cared less that I was taking his picture.

Taken with Nokia 808.

saponga 2016-08-01 16:30

Ok guys... Time is over. How about 2 days for voting ? Deadline at 03/08 at 16:30h UTC ? That's ok for all ?

RealJohnGalt - Nexus 5 with Sailfish OS
https://i.imgur.com/GDeyuuL.jpghttp://

Briest - N9 (slightly cropped)
http://lemur.hg.pl/i/p/1m1kb0u.jpeg

mosem - Jolla C
http://mosushi.net/misc/20160729_006.jpg

imaginaryenemy - Nokia 808
http://imgur.com/kUDZce7.jpg

pichlo 2016-08-01 16:36

Briest, N9

mosen 2016-08-01 16:46

imaginaryenemy Nokia 808

sweet shot you got there!

saponga 2016-08-01 17:11

imaginaryenemy Nokia 808

briest 2016-08-01 18:21

mosen - Jolla C

So simple, yet perfectly fitting the topic. Although I had strong urge to vote for imaginaryenemy's photo, too; partly because it's really good work, and second -- it reminded me of a saying in my family also binding freedom and animals: "free as a wild pig on a bend in no man's forest" ;)

imaginaryenemy 2016-08-01 19:10

Briest. Though it is a great shot, I think my vote is mainly for the history lesson!

robthebold 2016-08-01 20:51

Briest.

Because what says "freedom" like big ol' pedestal without a statue? Lots of other things, I suppose, but I like the image of "no one standing over you" that it exudes. And the nice foliage in the foreground -- I'm a sucker for that old framing trick.

Thanks everybody again this month.

chenliangchen 2016-08-01 22:38

So many great shots. Well done.

Vote for imaginaryenemy.

jellyroll 2016-08-02 08:11

My vote goes for Briest.

tommo 2016-08-02 08:25

Voting for Briest, I have some great memories of this city :)

spfoo 2016-08-02 13:28

I vote for briest. Unfortunately I couldn't participate this time. I was travelling and didn't carry my N9 with me too much.

mosen 2016-08-02 14:01

Yeah! so many votes.
I think we can close this evening already because:

1. The winner is almost nailed.
2. We were late again with closing last month.
3. I am frikkin' curious what briest might come up with regarding the theme :D

saponga 2016-08-03 15:38

Sorry mosen, i've just sow your sugestion now. But since it is only one hour to go, i think we should wait. Come on voters !!!

mosen 2016-08-03 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by saponga (Post 1511641)
Sorry mosen, i've just sow your sugestion now. But since it is only one hour to go, i think we should wait. Come on voters !!!

no i am sorry, i was too busy with benchmarks and praising screen protectors ;)

Come on voters!
Look what we got this month and do not be shy to join us next time!
It is easy and so much fun once you participate in our very casual activity :D

saponga 2016-08-03 18:41

Results:

1 - briest with 06 votes (pichlo, imaginaryenemy, robthebold, jellyroll, tommo and spfoo)

2 - imaginaryenemy with 03 votes (mosen, saponga and chenliangchen)

3 - mosen with 01 vote (briest)

4 - RealJohnGalt with 0 votes.

So, congratulations briest !!! Could you open a new thread with the theme for this month ASAP ?

Thank you all you photographers and voters !!! Hope this month we'll get loads of beautiful pictures.

briest 2016-08-04 12:29

Thanks to all partcipants and voters :) Sorry for the delay, but I have opened new thread at last. The theme is "time".

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97129

catbus 2016-08-04 19:19

I'm really sorry not participate for this "freedom" -topic. I was really busy, even i was in vacation... Maybe the reason was that...

If it's ok, i could still show my pictures of freedom, which i took on july and with some kind of story in with them? My English is not so fluent so story may be short or not so understandable...

And i also will participate next/this month topic... if i have enough "time"(tm)... ;)

briest 2016-08-05 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1511750)
If it's ok, i could still show my pictures of freedom, which i took on july and with some kind of story in with them? My English is not so fluent so story may be short or not so understandable...

Sure, I love stories! :) And concernig English -- I think most of TMO users are non-native speakers (writers?); but no hard data here, just gut feeling. After all, Nokia/Jolla's lair is EU with our wonderful bunch of incomprehensible languages :)

pichlo 2016-08-05 14:23

<OT>I actually find it impressive how good most posters' English is, considering it is not their first language.
In many cases (including yours truly :)) not even second.</OT>

tommo 2016-08-05 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1511822)
<OT>I actually find it impressive how good most posters' English is, considering it is not their first language.
In many cases (including yours truly :)) not even second.</OT>

English is my first (and only!) language, and most 'foreigners' who write here are better than me!!

I'm always impressed:D