maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   osso-notes note.html editor for desktop? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100908)

Wasmachinemann-NL 2020-01-04 20:42

osso-notes note.html editor for desktop?

I know I can open note.html files in Notepad++ but man editing this is awful:
https://i.imgur.com/x11em24.png

So, is there a proper editor for osso-notes note.html files?

ric9K 2020-01-04 21:36

Re: osso-notes note.html editor for desktop?

You can edit it with libreoffice but be carefull using formattings osso-notes can display or osso-notes will display an empty document.
If you use simple formatting (I guess the same formatting as osso-notes uses), you will be able to reopen it in osso-notes.

You could also convert your file to text with html2text but you'd loose your formatting.

Personally, I user leafpad and pure text to avoid these questions and compatibility troubles and some ascii things to underline, separate paragraphs and so on.

Wasmachinemann-NL 2020-01-16 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric9K (Post 1564112)
You can edit it with libreoffice but be carefull using formattings osso-notes can display or osso-notes will display an empty document.
If you use simple formatting (I guess the same formatting as osso-notes uses), you will be able to reopen it in osso-notes.

You could also convert your file to text with html2text but you'd loose your formatting.

Personally, I user leafpad and pure text to avoid these questions and compatibility troubles and some ascii things to underline, separate paragraphs and so on.

I tried, but it seems to mess up formatting and "quotations". Ecch, I might aswell just do it the hard way using Notepad++ or VNC.

EDIT: it also breaks certain special characters, like á, é, í, ó, ú.

ric9K 2020-01-16 22:13

[begin possible stupid question]

Could we not compile the osso-notes application on a linux box?

[end possible stupid question]

Wasmachinemann-NL 2020-01-18 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric9K (Post 1564431)
[begin possible stupid question]

Could we not compile the osso-notes application on a linux box?

[end possible stupid question]

Or better yet: reverse engineer and port osso-notes to Leste! (and hopefully also some of the bugs it has)

nonsuch 2020-01-18 19:53

Essentially, what you need is a HTML WYSIWIG editor, yes?
So that you can see the formatted text (formatted with html tags), but not the tags.
Try bluefish (available on any Linux distro's repos); or seamonkey's composer.

ric9K 2020-01-18 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL (Post 1564479)
Or better yet: reverse engineer and port osso-notes to Leste! (and hopefully also some of the bugs it has)

Yeah! You know from a sure source it is closed source? :p
No, seriously, I have some serious gaps, see: I don't know where to find the sources of the packages...
Maemish, we could found a club.

But, no, actually. If osso-notes doesn't produce real, compatible html, it is a non-sense to port it anywhere. Better starting from an open base that respects standards. Why did Nokia n900 devs not do that for osso-notes when they wrote it?

Wasmachinemann-NL 2020-01-25 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric9K (Post 1564485)
Yeah! You know from a sure source it is closed source? :p
No, seriously, I have some serious gaps, see: I don't know where to find the sources of the packages...
Maemish, we could found a club.

But, no, actually. If osso-notes doesn't produce real, compatible html, it is a non-sense to port it anywhere. Better starting from an open base that respects standards. Why didn't they do that for osso-notes?

Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files, and that's not something i'm planning on doing.

..although starting fresh and ditching everything on my N900 is something I have been saying forever, this is over 8 years of random **** we're talking about in my .documents folder.

ric9K 2020-01-25 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL (Post 1564745)
Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files, and that's not something i'm planning on doing.

..although starting fresh and ditching everything on my N900 is something I have been saying forever, this is over 8 years of random **** we're talking about in my .documents folder.

Sure, it'd be a pain.
But I am sure the next version of osso-notes will include an "import from closed Osso-notes" function. ;)

(By the way, just to be clear, when I wrote "Why didn't they do that for osso-notes?", I was talking about Nokia devs, not Leste devs.)

nonsuch 2020-01-26 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL (Post 1564745)
Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files

You want to convert them to plain text, removing the html tags?
pandoc can do that for you. (Among others).