maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Extra Decoders Support for the N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39299)

Tomaszd 2010-01-05 02:17

Extra Decoders Support for the N900

(Please let the old thread die)

I have estabilished a proper project page for Extra Decoders Support (was: Decoders Support).

The purpose of the project is to get some specific missing multimedia formats indexed and supported by the built-in Media Player on the Nokia N900.

I need a couple of things from you now.

The project needs a new, transparent icon, because the one it's using now is just ugly and when I made it transparent it's almost invisible on the dark background ondevice.

I also need translations for the name and description in different languages, so please post your translations here.

XB-Maemo-Display-Name: Extra Decoders Support
XB-Description: Support for additional video and audio decoders in the Media Player

Note to translators: "Extra" doesn't mean "great" in this context, but "additional". And don't worry about moving words around, make it work for your language.

Example in Polish (note the added locale code pl_PL, be sure to include the one for your language):

XB-Maemo-Display-Name-pl_PL: Obsługa dodatkowych dekoderów
XB-Description-pl_PL: Obsługa dodatkowych dekoderów dźwięku i wideo dla wbudowanego Odtwarzacza

Apart from translations and the icon you can donate via PayPal (dominikowskipics@gmail.com) to support the project.

Oh, and I'm aware of the fact that Tracker sometimes dies during installation (no files available in Media Player). You have to wait for Tracker to re-index files, the best way to do this is to turn the phone off and on again (this is actually optional, but somehow makes me feel better ;) ), start the Media Player and wait... wait quite a bit, depending on how large your multimedia collection is. I'm not doing anything evil or unusual with tracker, so I'm not sure what the problem is, any help in this regard is very much appreciated, because it doesn't happen all the time.

ercanmetin 2010-01-05 03:36

Re: Extra Decoders Support for the N900

i do need something for .asf (linksys ip cam) iwas able to watch it with N810 using mplayer.. but the N900 media players tries to download the live video..

Moolan 2010-01-05 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ercanmetin (Post 453469)
i do need something for .asf (linksys ip cam) iwas able to watch it with N810 using mplayer.. but the N900 media players tries to download the live video..

Ditto. Would be great if it would support asf streaming for online radio.

maxximuscool 2010-01-05 04:00

i can help translate it to Cambodian if you want. Hit me back a private message or something. Or contact me through email.

maxximuscool@gmail.com

R-R 2010-01-05 04:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomaszd (Post 453434)
xb-maemo-display-name: Extra decoders support

xb-description: Support for additional video and audio decoders in the media player

Here is fr_ca which will also work with fr_* (fr, be, ...)

Xb-maemo-display-name-fr_ca: Décodeurs A/V supplémentaires

(I find adding A/V (audio-video) clearer as decoder might be a bit abstract for mom&pop, ...)

xb-description-fr_ca: Support pour décoder davantage de formats audios et vidéos dans le lecteur de médias.

jessi3k3 2010-01-05 06:48

I tested your newest version in extras testing (0.3) and I had problems with it needing to uninstall it in the end. On install I noticed you added a new package, ogg-support. I then loaded a few ogg files and tested it out. The media player recognized them properly and played them alright although it took a while for them to start playing. The problem began when I tried to seek within an ogg track, causing the media player to bug out. The media player tried to seek but just returns the marker back to time 0:00. As of result, no other media is able to be played including MP3's or Movies. You select a different track (mp3) but nothing happens. You press play/pause but it does not start the music.

After this I rebooted my N900 only to find it very sluggish. Sliding between desktops was VERY choppy. The whole system/ui seemed to stutter alot and it was very noticeable during UI transitions. Even playing games such as Bounce or SuperTux which ran perfectly before became choppy now. I checked top in xterm and in Conky to see if there was something eating up cpu cycles but everything seemed normal on idle. I went on and uninstalled decoders support, rebooted the device and all was fine. Because of this I am reluctant to give it a thumbs down on the extras page.

twaelti 2010-01-05 08:31

jessi3k3: what did "tracker-status" say in x-term when your device was sluggish?

zehjotkah 2010-01-05 08:57

german:

XB-Maemo-Display-Name-de_DE: Zusätzliche Codec Unterstützung (personally I would like to stay with Extra Decoders Support in german...)
XB-Description-de_DE: Unterstützung für zusätzliche Video- und Audiocodecs im Media Player.

jessi3k3 2010-01-05 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by twaelti (Post 453634)
jessi3k3: what did "tracker-status" say in x-term when your device was sluggish?

I didnt check although I do remember seeing "tracker" something in top taking a good chunk during the sluggish startup but then the process disappeared. top showed the normal %1-4 of activity and even still it was sluggish everywhere. This prompted me to uninstall Extra Decoders Support after waiting for about 20 minutes to see if it went away.

Right now I'm trying to replicate the bug by attempting to go through the same steps (Ogg still bugs and locks media player when attempting to seek) but I cant seem to reproduce it. I'll let you know if it happens again.

casper27 2010-01-05 10:51

Great work here. Just one question I can play Realplayer format files from filemanager but when I stream them from a site that says realplayer is needed it cannot read the file format and just hangs with a white page. This is the site
http://vip.tv-video.net/
My n800 used to play using a Realplayer plugin for Mplayer all be it a little bit jumpy.Any help would be appreciated.You can try it on the free videos.