maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] nQa Audiobook Player (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50588)

Pengman 2010-04-20 17:41

[ANNOUNCE] nQa Audiobook Player

As of 20. July 2010 epage has accepted to be the maintainer of this software.

Wiki page for Nqaap.

Original content:

I just promoted my project "nQa Audiobook Player" to extras-testing (again), so hopefully it should be available soon.

* What?
Nqaap is a simple audiobook player that has the following features:
  • Plays books saved as multiple .mp3 or .awb files
  • Automatically changes to next chapter.
  • Remebers position in multiple books.
  • Sleep timer
* How?
** Setup
  • Install nqaap from extras-testing.
  • Create ~/MyDocs/Audiobooks directory.
** Create book
  • Find audiofiles for the book in either mp3 or awb format (encoding instructions later)
  • Ensure that files are named in such a way that a lexical sort places them in playing order.
  • Create dir under ~/MyDocs/Audiobooks with the name of the book
  • Place audiofiles in this dir, all files must be in this directory. It cant find files in further subdirectories (for now).
  • (Optional) Place an imagefile in the directory. If present this file will be used as the cover of the book.
** Play
  • Open nqaap
  • Open menu
  • Select book
  • Press play

* View?
http://www.pengworld.com/nqaap/playing.png
http://www.pengworld.com/nqaap/menu.png
http://www.pengworld.com/nqaap/Select_book.png
* Why?
On my S60 phones i really enjoyed the nokia audiobook player, and I was dismayed that it was not available for the N900. So I wrote nqaap for myself, and hopefully a few of you guys can use it as well.

** Problems with audiobooks in std media player.
  • Does not remeber position
  • .mp3 files in "all music" playlist
* Wait, what?
Nqa is obviously not really a word. It could be short for "not quite a", which would make nqaap "not quite an audiobook player" which might be a good description at this state.

"N-Q-A" sounds (to me) at little like NoKiA, and since nqaap is inspired by their player it fits somewhat.

* How
Written in python with gtk and tested on my N900.

* What now
Test it if it sounds like it is something that migth be usefull to you, and please report back with problems and suggestions in this thread.

beta 2010-04-20 17:52

Re: [ANNOUNCE] nQa Audiobook Player

This sounds pretty handy. I'll have to look it up and see how it works for me. And thanks again for your effort.

After a quick try:

Downloaded and moved my books to Audiobooks folder. The app didn't recognize a folder structure of Audiobooks/book/cd1/file1.mp3 , Audiobooks/book/cd2/file1.mp3 and so on.

Changed the structure to Audiobooks/cd1/file1.mp3 , Audiobooks/cd2/file1.mp3 and had to delete the previously created indexes and current status from /home/~user/.nqaap/ to stop it crashing on start.

Otherwise works great.

Pengman 2010-04-20 19:35

Thanks for testing.

I should have mentioned that all the files for the books must be in the same folder (unless I should consider this my first feature request).

I will update the first post, as well as the included documentation to include this information.

I think I know what caused your crash and will fix it as soon as possible.

torpedo48 2010-04-21 10:41

Hi Pengman, and thanks for your nice application.

Just a small enhancement request for version 0.7.1-1 actually in Extras-Testing: is it possible to change the behaviour of your app when pressing the progress bar? Actually, all it does when clicked is to interrupt the audio flux for a bit: instead it should go to the point I've clicked.

Actually the only way for moving through a chapter is to drag the selector, it should be nice to have a more finger friendly "click and go" feature.

Thanks for reading, regards.

beta 2010-04-21 12:42

Tried a few thing now that I'm not 5 mins away from leaving to work. The app/gui/maemo/whatever handles arabic and cyrillic. I think the maemo 5 is utf-8?

This is not a given though, as I have konqueror on my desktop giving me issues with some utf-8 non-romanic characters.

Deleting the currently listened folder gives an error of :
Code:

/home/opt/Nqa-Audiobook-player/nqaap.py
path not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/opt/Nqa-Audiobook-player/nqaap.py", line 17, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/opt/Nqa-Audiobook-player/nqaap.py", line 10, in main
    controller = Player(ui = gui)
  File "/home/opt/Nqa-Audiobook-player/Player.py", line 22, in __init__
    self.set_book(self.storage.selected)
  File "/home/opt/Nqa-Audiobook-player/Player.py", line 40, in set_book
    chapter_title = self.audiobook.chapters[chapter_num]
IndexError: list index out of range

This is solved by deleting the file /home/~user/.nqaap/current .

Pengman 2010-04-21 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by torpedo48 (Post 620782)
Just a small enhancement request for pressing the progress bar? It should be nice to have a more finger friendly "click and go" feature.

Yeah, I tried to make it work like that, failed and then forgot about it. I will make another attempt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beta (Post 620949)
Tried a few thing now that I'm not 5 mins away from leaving to work. The app/gui/maemo/whatever handles arabic and cyrillic. I think the maemo 5 is utf-8?

This is not a given though, as I have konqueror on my desktop giving me issues with some utf-8 non-romanic characters.

I don't understand, are you having trouble with books with cyrillic/arabic characters in their titles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beta (Post 620949)
Deleting the currently listened folder gives an error.

This is solved by deleting the file /home/~user/.nqaap/current

I hoped this was fixed in 0.7.1 (in testing since this morning), do you know if you have that version?

Thanks to both of you for your feedback, I will try to get a new release out tonight or tomorrow.

Pengman 2010-04-21 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pengman (Post 621193)
0.7.1 (in testing since this morning)

It seems I was wrong, according to this page 0.7.1 should be in testing , but on my phone it still shows as being in devel.

Anyways, I just pushed 0.7.2 with the "Click'n'Go" seekbar to devel and will try to push it into testing later.

Is there a limit on how often I can move stuff from devel -> testing? If there is I must consolidate the releases a bit more.

ffarber 2010-04-21 19:44

Pengman-

I am going to try as well since I miss Nokia Audiobook player. The question for me is: what does nQa have that Pannucci lacks? If it just allows one to load up a whole folder instead of one book at a time, that might be enough.

Fred

cardiff-blues 2010-04-21 20:07

just testing this now after downloading Pilgrims Progress. I like the sleep timer. Am going to try listening later but it looks like a useful app. Well done Pengman for the hard work.

Pengman 2010-04-21 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffarber (Post 621482)
Pengman-
What does nQa have that Pannucci lacks? If it just allows one to load up a whole folder instead of one book at a time, that might be enough.

I'm afraid I can't really answer that. Back (in January I think) when I tried Pannucci, it did not automatically change to the next chapter when one was finished, nQa does that. Also I dont think Pannuci plays the .awb files that was needed by the nokia player. But I must admit that I haven't kept up with Pannuci features since starting this.

Anyways, give it a whirl if you have the time and perhaps report back here,

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues (Post 621511)
just testing this now after downloading Pilgrims Progress. I like the sleep timer. Am going to try listening later but it looks like a useful app. Well done Pengman for the hard work.

I hope it you enjoy it.