maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Why do these processes keep running (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83704)

regulus 2012-04-17 11:27

Why do these processes keep running

I've been wading thru the list of running processes on my N900, and a few of them caught my eye (especially since I don't use any scheduled tasks pertaining to them, or their corresponding desktop widgets).

/usr/sbin/bluetoothd -n (I keep BT off, unless I explicitly need it.)

/usr/bin/camera-ui (I definitely didn't use the camera since last reboot or switching off)

/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/e-addressbook-factory
/usr/bin/osso-abook-home-applet
/usr/bin/osso-addressbook 2x
(been a couple of hours since I last opened the addressbook - unless one of these has something to do with a contact shortcut placed on the desktop1?)

/usr/bin/modest 2x
/usr/bin/Calendar 2x
(didn't use email or calendar in the last session, and auto-check-for-new-email is off)

/usr/bin/browser 2x (file browser or web browser?)

/usr/sbin/wlancond (I turn WLAN off with the switch on the pull-down menu)

/usr/bin/image-viewer (a few hours since I used it)

Are all these supposed to be running, or can some be running due to incorrect termination, or something like that?

geneven 2012-04-17 11:33

Re: Why do these processes keep running

For extra credit, set the alarm and turn your N900 completely off. The alarm will go off anyway.

I think that the answer to your question is that some processes are kept running permanently, or beyond the control of most users.

Andre Klapper 2012-04-17 11:46

They are supposed to be running.

Manatus 2012-04-17 11:49

N900 keeps lots of stuff preloaded in case they are needed. For instance fast addressbook access is considered essential, as you can do instant searches with just pressing a key in the keyboard. Or you get a call and the phone has to resolve the number to the existing contact name without delay.

Same goes with the camera I suppose; fast access is a top priority.

Preloading is ever more so important as N900 mass storage and swap are extremely slow compared to todays desktops it otherwise so much resembles, and reloading software components would take far too long.

MartinK 2012-04-17 11:53

Some programs, as the web browser or e-mail client are started once the device finishes booting. Like this, once they are needed, they show up at once.

Keneraali 2012-04-17 18:30

Try "pkill -STOP $process" to freeze them.

MINKIN2 2012-04-17 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 1193221)
For extra credit, set the alarm and turn your N900 completely off. The alarm will go off anyway.

I think that the answer to your question is that some processes are kept running permanently, or beyond the control of most users.

I never knew that! I have owned this for two years and it still keeps surprising me.

Thanks for the tip.