maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New Generation of Maemo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83259)

Estel 2012-03-26 12:41

Re: New Generation of Maemo

Thankfully, we have iDont's busybox-power.

Copernicus 2012-03-26 12:52

For myself, I've gotta say, I have no problem with Maemo. But then, I'm probably not looking for what other folks are. :)

Maemo is (so far) the only version of Unix on a cell phone that has had any support. (Android, of course, runs on top of Linux, but there's no way to get down to the Linux layer without major hacking.) I can run all my favorite Unix utilities, edit text with vim, write shell scripts, and build apps using standard languages like C++ and standard libraries like Qt. In short, it does everything I want a computer to do.

But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...

mr_pingu 2012-03-26 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1184214)
Are you referring to drivers or some separate part of the kernel here? What exactly do you want? And does it have to be opened under GPL?

I think Vi_ is referring to all bits that are needed to run a newer kernel. So every Nokiash|t which is bound to the 2.6.28 such as BME.

Vi_ You couldn't have it described any better how I feel about maemo. And still. it's the best mobileOS =/

SD69 2012-03-26 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1184235)
But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...

The next cell phone running Unix will probably be a Blackberry with QNX. It's not a relative of maemo. I doubt it will be easy to port maemo stuff over (would love to be wrong).

pycage 2012-03-26 18:37

The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.
Hopefully Tizen will be a worthy replacement for Maemo...

ejcrashed 2012-03-26 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1184342)
The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.

No. Tizen is just another rebranding that will be forgotten...

fw190 2012-03-26 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1184342)

If it shows up on the horizon in a form of a phone which is competitive on the marke and will be developed for a longer period of time then MeeGo...

Timmy 2012-03-26 20:27

You think it's possible to port plasma active on maemo? i think it has one of the most beautiful UIs.

MohammadAG 2012-03-26 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by vi_ (Post 1184204)
1. The freaking kernel. Jesus christ, Give us the GOD DAMNED SOURCES for those stupid closed bits? What does it cost you? Just dump a tarball on megaupload or whatever, we will take it from there.

So THAT's why megaupload was taken down...

On an on topic note, I did try at some point to have a newer kernel on the N900, but I gave up, couldn't even get it to mount the root fs.

Thinking of implementing a hooking platform, sort of like MobileSubstrate on iOS (had an iPhone since November, so I'm taking ideas from it, at least the jailbroken side of it), that might make things easier, rather than forcing complete rewrites of apps.

Kangal 2012-03-27 03:55

^Your doing what now?