maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Sabnzbd (or similar) port (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36623)

Dexter1759 2009-12-10 20:20

Sabnzbd (or similar) port

Hi,

I've had a quick search of the forums and google but haven't found anything that answers my question.

Would it be possible to port sabnzbd to maemo 5? Or something similar?

I use usenet providers to download binaries a lot & would love to have that functionality on my n900 too. It'd be nice to download a tv show directly to my device sometimes and cut out the pc.

Many thanks,
Dex

ajamils 2009-12-10 21:35

Re: Sabnzbd (or similar) port

I second this motion :)

jflatt 2009-12-10 21:40

Yes it would be possible. I would rather save nzbs onto a server somewhere and have the server do all the grunt work.

Dexter1759 2009-12-10 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflatt (Post 421676)
Yes it would be possible. I would rather save nzbs onto a server somewhere and have the server do all the grunt work.

I am eventually planning to buy a qnap server that will allow me to do just that via a web interface.

But I thought since there's a bit torrent client for the n900 why not usenet! lol!

It'd be handy when round a friends house to be able to use their wifi & your n900 to just download something.

wierdo 2009-12-11 03:49

I have it 'working,' but it slows down the device a lot when it's downloading. :(

It burns about 50% CPU when downloading, so it's not really feasible to use it for much unless you have a power source handy.

I think getting greasemonkey or something similar to nzbstatus and perhaps a homescreen widget and running sabnzbd on a server would be a better solution in the end.

Edited to add: That CPU usage is based on a download speed between 200 and 300KB/s.

Dexter1759 2009-12-11 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdo (Post 422071)
I have it 'working,' but it slows down the device a lot when it's downloading. :(

It burns about 50% CPU when downloading, so it's not really feasible to use it for much unless you have a power source handy.

I think getting greasemonkey or something similar to nzbstatus and perhaps a homescreen widget and running sabnzbd on a server would be a better solution in the end.

Edited to add: That CPU usage is based on a download speed between 200 and 300KB/s.

Thanks, perhaps I should just be patient and save up for my Qnap. That'll handle Sabnzbd nicely.

wierdo 2009-12-11 16:13

I was a bit surprised at how much load it caused the device. And unrar-free wasn't working at all.

Well, it did a great job of slowing the device down to molasses, but at actually unraring a file? Not so much. :(

real_per 2009-12-11 16:26

Well, it's "only" a 600 MHz CPU, so I don't think it's that unreasonable that it won't unpack smoothly..
Was it a "multiple file" .rar archive your were unpacking ?

I'm running sabnzbd at home, but since I don't have a FTP client, it isn't of much use on my N900.
Having sabnzb for downloading that odd freeware Linux mp3 would be cool!

dragon_788 2010-04-04 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter1759 (Post 421788)
I am eventually planning to buy a qnap server that will allow me to do just that via a web interface.

But I thought since there's a bit torrent client for the n900 why not usenet! lol!

It'd be handy when round a friends house to be able to use their wifi & your n900 to just download something.

Why buy a device when FreeNAS is free and can do the same thing on an old PC?

dragon_788 2010-04-04 17:52

wierdo, can you elaborate on what it took to get in installed? I'm considering overclocking my N900 and would be curious to see if it improves the speeds.

real_per, try gFTP.