maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What does android have that the n900 is missing at this point? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66144)

extendedping 2010-11-24 21:23

What does android have that the n900 is missing at this point?

I say at this point, because when I got my phone 4 months ago there was no voice navigation, now there is modrana. There was no decent book reader (for my purposes at least) and now there is a heavily modified fbreader. Till last week I basically did not use youtube due to not great apps and the site itself requiring the stylus to go full screen in the maemo browser. well cutetube seems to have worked that out.

So apart from not having the latest flash (shame on you nokia) what major things is the n900 currently lacking that would be available in android?

I am not trying to start a fight here, I really want to know because I have only spent 5 minutes with an android phone...

xRobby 2010-11-24 21:28

Re: What does android have that the n900 is missing at this point?

Decent marketing

Reffyyyy 2010-11-24 21:30

Essentially, official support from big-name companies such as EA.

Kenny1001 2010-11-24 21:44

voice search/command?googlemaps navi?
smaller app store?
more cool themes/icons?
more portrait support?

marxian 2010-11-24 21:57

For me, it's the lack of a decent GMail client. Email is fairly poor on the N900. I don't miss commercial software, since I would rarely use it anyway. I prefer open source community software, that is more in touch with my needs.

extendedping 2010-11-24 21:57

voice search would be the only thing there I would think was important.

anandv76 2010-11-24 22:00

cosmetics in my view. i just upgraded the missus to the Desire HD and must I say, i am not the most impressed with the device though it looks a winner on paper. best suited for her requirements with all the gazillion (read useless) apps and themes etc. but inferior in terms of functionality and flexibility...thats my two little humble, limited cents...

yosarian 2010-11-24 22:02

Decent homescreen widgets

esthreel 2010-11-24 22:05

+1 For mail, with PUSH, HSDPA, qwerty keyboard and all the good stuff, the mail is just awful..

extendedping 2010-11-24 22:09

btw I am talking about meat and potatoes here, like mail client, not stuff like cool themes. well I guess on persons fluff is another meat and potatoes...