maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pretenders To The Phone Throne 2013[POLL] (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88511)

Dave999 2013-01-04 13:25

Pretenders To The Phone Throne 2013[POLL]

Yes, It's time for the yearly OS Poll...for 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...droid-killers/

EDIT: DAMN IT, I forgot BB10 and possibly even bada. Sorry for that! Please scream/cry out loud in the thread if they are at the top of your list!

m4r0v3r 2013-01-04 13:40

Re: Pretenders To The Phone Throne

am really liking Ubuntu OS more than Jolla

tiempjuuh 2013-01-04 14:03

Re: Pretenders To The Phone Throne[POLL]

Sailfish. Of course. However, KDE Plasma active would be nice as well... Dual boot? :D

flotron 2013-01-04 14:15

Re: Pretenders To The Phone Throne 2013[POLL]

Ubuntu is in 2014

nodevel 2013-01-04 14:17

1) Sailfish OS
2) Plasma Active
3) Blackberry 10
4) Nemo
5) Ubuntu

You should include Blackberry 10 as it is kind of a N9 successor.

PS: The best thing is all of those 5 support QML apps.

Dave999 2013-01-04 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotron (Post 1310847)
Ubuntu is in 2014

Not the first dev release - expected in a few weeks. Device - end of 2013 or 2014 depending on what source you are using - for this poll that doesn't really matter. If you have Galaxy Nexus you can use it soon.

EDIT: DAMN IT, I forgot BB10 and possibly even bada. Sorry for that!

lancewex 2013-01-04 14:30

I could easily use my N9 and N900s for years, but that recent Ubuntu video impressed me. And Ubuntu has resources and a chance. It feels like most of the others have very little chance. But I hope I am wrong. I hope to get delivery of my Pengpod soon.

If it doesn't have iOS or Android I might buy just to support (with the exception off Bada).

Dave999 2013-01-04 16:48

Pengpod looks intressting. But I can't handle these budget screens. Anyone got one?

MINKIN2 2013-01-04 17:07

According to the Ubuntu press release FAQ, they are pushing for a device to be released this year. If that I so, then I vote for ubuntu.

However, it is hard to choose between them all...

Ubuntu have the OS and can make use of the existing applications from the ARM Debian repos, but have no hardware announcements ATM.

Jolla are the spiritual cousin to maemo and can make advantage of the ACL but like Ubuntu they have no hardware announcements.

Tizen, well not a lot of people know much about this. Apps are few and appears reliant on HTML5 but Samsung already have the hardware on the market and are kicking out some fantastic devices.

A safer choice would be RIM as they are already building on both an existing "eco-system" (blugh), are following a more natural hardware progression path and if crackberry is any indication... Queuing customers.

But where's teh fun in being safe ;)

Lumiaman 2013-01-04 17:37

Lumia Catwalk will smoke them all. Aluminum clad 920 like feature phone will blow competition out of the water. Jolla will stay in China and disappear the way they arrived, with a tweet. Blackberry will have to go thru the same growing pains, and not many will tolerate that. IPhone will always be superb, but Nokia will deliver better hardware.

Dave999 2013-01-05 11:03

A duel boot between sailfish and ubuntu seem like what most people are looking for. Let's hope Jolla don't close their device completly.

kai_en 2013-01-05 11:43

While I would like to keep an open mind on New UI paradigm, Ubuntu seemed a bit too complicated for everyone, must swipe precisely to get a certain function. It definitely reminds me of the charm bar and multitasking gesture of Windows 8 and guess what? I hate it to the gut.But the concept of chronologically putting all the stuff you recently access/ do on the home screen is pretty interesting.

Tizen? I don't know much about it but promoting HTML5 as main developing platform turns me off, HTML5 apps are currently inferior compared to native apps, how does TIzen plan to curb this?

Sailfish-well please fix the icon =P

PS-looks like we still have a troll around

nbedford 2013-01-05 11:53

I voted Sailfish, but i think BB10 will be important...

Wikiwide 2013-01-05 14:44

Quick reply...
Seriously, the best operating system would be the one which is so small it can be saved on a floppy disk, and so light that the battery can last for months with usual (phone-clock) usage. At the same time, if user wished, he would be able to run a CPU-intensive application and discharge the battery very quickly - it's user's own choice. The fact is, I dislike the idea that OS should grow in size, memory and CPU consumption as hardware grows. I would be prefer for the hardware progress to create a mobile which allows human to travel through a network of caves (no solar recharging) for several days (weeks) and still have the mobile working (as lamp-torch, as map in absence of both Internet and GPS, as pedometer to manually create a map of the caves, as sonar if necessary). Theoretically, it's possible. Practically, almost any mobile OS is bloated, to an extent.
Best wishes.

Dave999 2013-01-05 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1311142)
Quick reply...
Seriously, the best operating system would be the one which is so small it can be saved on a floppy disk, and so light that the battery can last for months with usual (phone-clock) usage. At the same time, if user wished, he would be able to run a CPU-intensive application and discharge the battery very quickly - it's user's own choice. The fact is, I dislike the idea that OS should grow in size, memory and CPU consumption as hardware grows. I would be prefer for the hardware progress to create a mobile which allows human to travel through a network of caves (no solar recharging) for several days (weeks) and still have the mobile working (as lamp-torch, as map in absence of both Internet and GPS, as pedometer to manually create a map of the caves, as sonar if necessary). Theoretically, it's possible. Practically, almost any mobile OS is bloated, to an extent.
Best wishes.

SORRY to break it to you. You will never get that. What did you vote for? I'm building my own tiny OS? ;-)

Wikiwide 2013-01-05 18:11

Quick reply...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1311191)
SORRY to break it to you. You will never get that.

Maybe, I will. About a century or two later, after another world war, if it will still be possible then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1311191)
What did you vote for? I'm building my own tiny OS? ;-)

Yes. SHR is an interesting project. But I would have liked something closer to Nucleus, Contiki, MenuetOS or Minix. Something extra-simple. Just have to think it through before coding.
Best wishes.

tissot 2013-01-05 18:32

Honestly, nothing strikes me as a must buy at the moment. For now i'm using my N9, Lumia 800 and GS3 combo.

If i had to choose what i'm most likely to buy, it would probably be Jolla phone, but there the reasons would be 50% about just supporting their efforts (with the reservation that their hardware will rock).

lancewex 2013-01-07 01:58

Sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread, but I'd really like to know what others would do. I have an extra N900. I have CSSU on the other. Of the ones that are mentioned in the poll that *can* be installed easily on the N900 which would others recommend I try? I have seen some videos of some of the MER stuff. Though they look interesting...I really think Maemo is so great I never understood why people wanted another OS on the N900. So which should I try out?

Kangal 2013-01-07 03:59

At this point, I doubt how open Sailfish is going to be.
We all know Tizen and FirefoxOS's are quite dull.

So the only thing I can think of, would be a spin-off between Mer, Sailfish (some parts at least) and Ubuntu-for-Phone. That Hybrid OS would be pretty tantalizing.

Still, at this point I don't think I'd be able to fully rely on it.
Probably stick to a Samsung NOTE with Android, and get it to dualboot the madafaka!

balisingh 2013-01-07 06:13

Been considering BB10 very seriously.

automagic68 2013-01-07 06:29

I just hope either iOS or Android mindshare and marketshare drops significantly, I'm tired of Android fanboys and iPhone commercials that hypnotize iSheep all day long. . .

droll 2013-01-07 07:16

ubuntu gets my vote.

Hacker 2013-01-07 07:49

Hmmm, I think that I'm most interested in BB10 right now, because the older I get, the more weight I give to actually producing a device and OS that I can get my hot little hands on. “Hype and wait” gets old, and BB10 is mere weeks away, has a functional design much like the N9, will be fully supported, and has fairly good specs.

But I also agree that the Ubuntu vids and Sailfish vids look interesting, but they're too far away to get me excited.

droll 2013-01-07 23:26

i'll wait. i have a spare N900. that should last me all the way to 2014 when, hopefully, ubuntu appears!

but i do admit, BB10 is looking pretty awesome. i actually think if they pull off their marketing right, RIM might make a small dent in the others' market share.

juiceme 2013-01-08 06:41

I do not quite understand the facination that people have with BlackBerry10. Granted, it maybe uses QT but the main problem is that the OS is closed QNX and not Linux. QT is good but it's not the dealbreaker, it's not the thing that matters.

Hence, it may look nice and be quite usable as a smartphone but otherwice it's just like iOS or WP, it's no fun to me. :eek:

thedead1440 2013-01-08 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1312229)
I do not quite understand the facination that people have with BlackBerry10.

Swipe and bezel gestures...

Hacker 2013-01-08 07:52

I'm not a devel, but I know that at least a couple of peeps posting here at TMO are developing apps for BB10. I'd like to think that our devs could bring their stuff to BB10, if they wished, but I know it's no Linux.

Makeclick 2013-01-08 08:08

Right now Sailfish, but Ubuntu mobile is not so far a way, i personally like .deb file managers. I you everyday Ubuntu 12.10, so it's not impossible, that i will use the Ubuntu over the Sailfish. Time will tell, but i don't ever going to touch any windows phone! yak!

juiceme 2013-01-08 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1312233)
Swipe and bezel gestures...

Yes, it's a lookalike to Harmattan UI, but that is just skin deep. The swipe UI is a pleasure to use but it makes just another smartphone.

The important thing is that it is FOSS all over underneath, that it is possible to go to shell and do quick hacks on the system with tools that already exist there, you can make the device do what you want it to do by just using vi and dbus-send, and just think about it, the device has python preinstalled! :D

And if that is not enough, it's no brainer to cook up a quick kernel module to change the behaviour of the whole device, or replace the whole kernel if there is something special you need to do.

That is my kind of system. Currently nothing beats it except N900.

panukooo 2013-01-10 05:01

bb10, because it is the closest thing to meego. i believed in sailfish but i don't think they will survive, i didn't like the UI i expected more, just one n9 improved whitout any rare or complex things, idon't know, meego was perfect i would buy a thousand times. is hard, but blackberry is my next phone

Dave999 2013-01-10 16:01

Ubuntu OS will come to a wide range of devices, not just GN :D

Source - - > me, or send someone to CES to confirm it.

kumary 2013-01-10 20:01

for now I m very happy with N9 and it will be with till it can blink its breathing light.

Right now I am not sure what Sailfish and Ubuntu is cooking under the hood. both of them have shown a demo and few verbal promises. But there is nothing ready yet so I am more liking the BB10 but I am waiting to check out the real device on 31st.

And yes I like it because of swipe... May be I am going way to ahead but swipe is the future in smart phone arena.

till then enjoy the last two master pieces N9/00 from Nokia. Cheers...!!

ajalkane 2013-01-10 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumary (Post 1313444)
for now I m very happy with N9 and it will be with till it can blink its breathing light.

Right now I am not sure what Sailfish and Ubuntu is cooking under the hood. both of them have shown a demo and few verbal promises. But there is nothing ready yet so I am more liking the BB10 but I am waiting to check out the real device on 31st.

Exactly. Although I must say from ideology perspective I'm leaning more towards Jolla & Ubuntu, rather than BB10. But BB10 seems promising and certainly something I'd without hesitation prefer over iOS and WP.

Half a year ago Jolla seemed like the only bright hope for open source based mobile operating system. Now Ubuntu mobile has been introduced. Emotionally I like to cheer for Jolla because of their ties to Finland and MeeGo/Maemo. But the Ubuntu OS representation was very convincing to me, I'd say more than Jolla's. But it's still early times, so it'll be interesting to see what's the full story when the devices arrive.

Also as a small time developer it'll be interesting to think where to put ones limited time into... Luckily all the new platforms I'm interested in are based on Qt/QML, which helps somewhat.