maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Introducing myself (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60335)

eachna 2010-08-14 07:06

Introducing myself

I don't see a new user intro thread, but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway :). Since I'm a Nokia newbie, this seems like the best forum.

I'm going to be a n900 user in the near future (just waiting on shipping). I'm coming over (at least temporarily) from Android phones. I love the tight Android integration, but I bought a Milestone (GSM version of the original Droid) and the bootloader is locked (something that wasn't know when I bought it). That means I'm 100% dependent on Motorola's updates, and lets just say they're "tardy" in providing them.

I just couldn't find any Android hardware that appeals right now, so, I decided to give Maemo a chance. The n900 seemed like a cost-efficient option.

I'm a big fan of open source software and run Fedora at home. I'm both used to the frustration and fun available from fiddling with an open source option.

pursueky 2010-08-14 07:42

Re: Introducing myself

what else can i say?
Welcome!!!!

gft2k1 2010-08-14 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by eachna (Post 786073)
I don't see a new user intro thread, but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway :). Since I'm a Nokia newbie, this seems like the best forum.

I'm going to be a n900 user in the near future (just waiting on shipping). I'm coming over (at least temporarily) from Android phones. I love the tight Android integration, but I bought a Milestone (GSM version of the original Droid) and the bootloader is locked (something that wasn't know when I bought it). That means I'm 100% dependent on Motorola's updates, and lets just say they're "tardy" in providing them.

I just couldn't find any Android hardware that appeals right now, so, I decided to give Maemo a chance. The n900 seemed like a cost-efficient option.

I'm a big fan of open source software and run Fedora at home. I'm both used to the frustration and fun available from fiddling with an open source option.

If you are familiar with Fedora you made the right choice :)

N900 is a computer with a phone and not a phone with computer functionality...........:)

By the way, there is a project called NITDroid (an open source version of Android for N900).

I have installed it and runs very fine (at the moment don't have phone functionality, you don't make calls but just wait.........:))

sorry i forgot........Welcome !

efekt 2010-08-14 07:53

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28834

eachna 2010-08-14 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by gft2k1 (Post 786090)
If you are familiar with Fedora you made the right choice :)

N900 is a computer with a phone and not a phone with computer functionality...........:)

By the way, there is a project called NITDroid (an open source version of Android for N900).

I have installed it and runs very fine (at the moment don't have phone functionality, you don't make calls but just wait.........:))

sorry i forgot........Welcome !

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've read repeatedly that the n900 is a very small computer that happens to allow you to make calls, instead of being a phone with "smart" capabilities added on. While I do primarily use my Milestone for making calls, I also enjoy having internet access.

I've read up on NITDroid and I'm very excited by the potential. I hope that the phone functionality starts working because that would make the n900 that much better. But, I also know I have to be patient. OSS is not the choice for speedy engineering, but I find it tends to be superior once it's working.

The "computer with a phone" part is why I'm buying it as a holdover device. Even if Maemo (or Meego, or NITDroid) doesn't win me over to the Nokia side of the Force, at least I'll have a spiffy multimedia device and be able to run Tinyfugue for MUD play.

Thank you to efekt for pointing out the actual newbie intro thread.

PeterBoy 2010-11-09 07:18

hello . . . !!!
i am also new here , nice to meet you !!!
i am a NOKIA addict recently bought N900 and decided to join the community to get some useful info . . . !!!

uvatbc 2010-11-09 07:47

Welcome OP. It's good to know that you've come here after being a Linux user. Many here learn Linux only after being exposed to xterm on n900.
It's friendlier and usually less technical here than lkml or the like.
In fact its a little like Ubuntu forums with the odd smattering of a "family safe" 4chan.

Kangal 2010-11-10 07:54

Welcome...

yeah the Milestone is one of the most impressive mobile computers out there, and having the locked bootloader just laughs at the term "open".
However there is some light coming for any/prospective Milestone owners see
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833070

back on topic.... hope you enjoy your time here!

uvatbc 2011-03-17 03:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ligiahag7902 (Post 969375)
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Welcome to the community!

We warmly welcome everyone until they start bad mouthing the Nokia tablets. Then some of us feed the trolls, other watch the flamefest.
It's an unfortunate consequence of us loving our tablets so much, despite their flaws.

Joseph.skb 2011-03-17 03:49

Welcome!!!