maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Nokia N810 - WiMAX Edition (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18455)

johnkzin 2008-03-31 04:42

Re: Nokia N810 CDMA version.... LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Q_ (Post 162642)
WiMAX falling back to EDGE/HSDPA, maybe--then Nokia could sell it as an unlocked GSM device anywhere in the world. EV-DO and CDMA would be too limited (just the US, South Korea, some parts of China...). There's just no way (in the US, at any rate) to sell a CDMA device without getting the carriers involved.

That's not _necessarily_ true. Until now, sure, you needed to convince the carriers to sell your CDMA device. But, if Verizon is going to be true to their word, then all Nokia has to do is get their devices certified, and then the customer can buy them without Verizon branding them. And hopefully this will lead to Sprint and the smaller CDMA carriers following suit (MetroPCS, Cricket, etc.).

Also, "generic EDGE/HSPA unlocked device anywhere in the world" isn't trivial. There's at least 3 or 4 frequencies they have to support now. If they do it, then great. But if they only support Europe and AT&T (spit), but leave out T-MobileUSA, then I certainly wont care.

Quote:

As for a WiMAX modem for current tablets, wouldn't that just create a bottleneck when transferring data from the modem to the tablet? AFAIK WiMAX is significantly faster than either Bluetooth or USB, so it would make as much sense to just stick with using an EV-DO or HSDPA phone as a modem.
I don't want to see "modem" per-se, but I would _LOVE_ to see Nokia compete with Cradlepoint. Only, instead of using an external EVDO device (Cradlepoint's devices use USB to connect to a phone or dongle), they could have 3 models that use internal radios, one CDMA/1xRTT/EVDO based, one GSM/GRPS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA based, one WiMAX based. All would have:
  • Wifi for communicating with clients
  • RJ-45 for connecting to a WWAN or LAN (depending on situations)
  • USB client and/or OTG for config and charging
  • LOTS of battery
  • SIP server for interfacing with CDMA or GSM voice capabilities (and whatever WiMAX might have in that regard)
  • Jabber server for interfacing with SMS/MMS capabilities

This wouldn't just be a good companion product for the NIT line, other consumers could use it for their laptops (the MacBook Air doesn't have an express card slot, for example), UMPC's and MID's that don't have WWAN options (how many EEE PC users might buy one of these?).

And by having the delivery be Wifi, they can do a lot better than bluetooth and USB speeds.

I think I'd much rather see that than a version of the N810 for each WWAN, etc.

fanoush 2008-03-31 08:22

Re: The Nokia N810 - WiMAX Edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by igor (Post 162134)
AFAIK atm nobody (not even TI) has fully working support for linux on OMAP3 and anyway the silicon is still in the Engineering Sample stage.

Which tells us that Pandora guys are/were pretty optimistic in their promises. I think they anounced March/April at first. Now they promise shipping hardware in April/May and usable system for end users in June/July. In theory Nokia with all its OMAP experience and deep pockets should have less trouble in releasing OMAP3 based device than some random small startup so I'm curious when we'll see real Pandora hardware in the wild.

WFT 2008-03-31 19:18

My apologies if this has been answered (I saw it asked): will the WIMAX edition be new hardware or can current N810 owners somehow upgrade to it given that the N810 is only a few months old? does the N810 have the hardware inside that currently is not "activated?"

sjgadsby 2008-03-31 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFT (Post 163008)
will the WIMAX edition be new hardware or can current N810 owners somehow upgrade to it given that the N810 is only a few months old?

Only through the same method used to upgrade other items--notebook computers, digital cameras, cellular phones, etc.--that are no longer the latest and the greatest mere months after their release: sell the old to help finance the new. Or just stay out of that money burning hamster wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFT (Post 163008)
does the N810 have the hardware inside that currently is not "activated?"

No. T'would make having a "WiMAX Edition" confusing if the non-WiMAX Edition also featured WiMAX, no?

WFT 2008-03-31 19:36

My neighbor -- who is a real gadget freak -- thinks they will find a way to make the N810 WIMAX capable, given that it just went on sale a few months ago. I sure hope he is right....

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-31 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFT (Post 163022)
My neighbor -- who is a real gadget freak -- thinks they will find a way to make the N810 WIMAX capable, given that it just went on sale a few months ago. I sure hope he is right....

Erm, magic? . . .

Seriously, if the chip isn't there, the only way to give it WiMAX is with some sort of USB or Bluetooth dongle-thing.

WFT 2008-03-31 19:41

agreed, but do we KNOW it isnt in there? I never opened it up and looked for it.... of course I wouldnt know what it looked like anyway so that was never an option....

igor 2008-03-31 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFT (Post 163022)

If that means using a WIMAX enabled device which can share the connection over bluetooth/wlan, sure, why not?
If it means a HW hack, your neighbor must have a quite advanced lab for redesigning the PCB and also access to the missing components (namely the WIMAX chip).

Benson 2008-03-31 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 163024)
Erm, magic? . . .

Seriously, if the chip isn't there, the only way to give it WiMAX is with some sort of USB or Bluetooth dongle-thing.

Really? I thought that the N8x0 had a serial port under the back cover. Nokia could make a replacement battery cover with WiMAX connecting that way. Should be able to get 115 kb/s easily.

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-31 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFT (Post 163026)
agreed, but do we KNOW it isnt in there? I never opened it up and looked for it.... of course I wouldnt know what it looked like anyway so that was never an option....

No, it's not there. There's a lot more certification to be done with the FCC if there's a WiMAX radio in a device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 163029)
Really? I thought that the N8x0 had a serial port under the back cover. Nokia could make a replacement battery cover with WiMAX. Should be able to get 115 kb/s easily.

Hahaha . . . I like it. :p But, seriously, bandwidth issues aside, enabling the serial port requires using the Linux flasher tool, and it kills battery life.