maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Google Voice on the N9? Google Maps & Foursquare? Metawatch? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83727)

adam917 2012-04-18 11:33

Google Voice on the N9? Google Maps & Foursquare? Metawatch?

I recently switched to an Android device from a BlackBerry, & in addition, I switched providers & got a Google Voice number. I am liking the dialler integration Google Voice has with Android & now give only my Google Voice number out to people. I would like to continue this with the N9, should I decide to take the plunge.

Android is still new to me (started using it on a Motorola Flipout, then switch to the Charm in March) & I'm also considering a Galaxy Nexus. I live in the US & T-Mobile is my primary provider. Both the N9 & Galaxy Nexus are pentaband 3G so I should have service on either AT&T or T-Mobile, but at present T-Mobile has better rates & good enough coverage for me.

I'm not sure if this next thing should be in this post, but I'll stick it here for now & will split things should a mod decide it should go elsewhere. Google Maps. As a long-time user of Google Maps on BlackBerry, S60, & now Android, I am very used to how it works & what is provided - between business listings, transit directions, Latitude (location tracking/sharing with friends), & the ability for me to send my location to someone via reverse geocoding (click the dot on the map, approx address pops up, you can then send this to the person or sometimes app of your choice).

In addition, I now use Foursquare, which is a location-based social network that allows you to share venues & places you're at with other people as well as Facebook & Twitter, as well as play a game where you can collect points, badges, and mayorships based off where you check in at. One can get real-life discounts and other bonus stuff from checking into certain places like restaurants & cafés. I heard there is an N9 client available, but does the game portion of Foursquare work with it?

Recently, I purchased a Metawatch & am really enjoying using it on Android. It provides me a level of convenience I never had before, with so much customisability & even current features. Might anyone be working on an interface app for the N9 that will pair the Metawatch up with it?

I may just buy both devices, Galaxy Nexus 1st & N9 later on, if the N9 can't provide everything I need. Only problem with that is of course only one device can be a daily driver, & I'd like the N9 to be it.

uvatbc 2012-04-18 12:08

Re: Google Voice on the N9? Google Maps & Foursquare? Metawatch?

There is a Google Voice client f for the n9: qgvdial. The phone integration is not yet complete and I am working on it. It already has support for Google contacts inside the app, so it's pretty usable that way.
It is under active development so you can contact me for issues you may have.

Ynohtna 2012-04-18 16:47

i do miss google maps and cloudgps, well, is not there yet

mämo 2012-04-19 18:38

A general comment:

The N9 on Meego is not a Google phone on Android. Everyone switching will have to accept some things will work differently and be willing to get used to the new way.

If you expect e.g. maps and various other apps to work exactly like you know from Android, well, then you should get (or keep) the Android.

As for maps, for example, Nokia bought their own mapping company (Navteq) and therefore doesn't rely on third parties for their mapping apps. (Did you know Nokia even has their own desktop map site from that?) Google relies on third parties like TeleAtlas for map data. Because Nokia owns the data and technology, they can offer things Google can't, the biggest one: free offline maps. AFAIK, you can download a 10-mile patch of map around your destination on Android, but if you want more, you have to pay. Nokia lets you download and install the entire world if you have enough space on your phone, or break it down by country or state. I used it recently on a trip to Death Valley, far away from any mobile phone or WiFi connection - awesome. Having all maps preinstalled also makes zooming super smooth. You can actually see streets and place labels re-arrange themselves crispy-clear in real time as you pinch your fingers, no waiting for the next zoom level of tiles to load. I actually think the Maps app is one of the N9's best showcase features and that it'll withstand any comparison to Google maps with ease.

As for Foursquare, I'm not using it, but there are several clients on the Ovi store with good ratings, including an official app. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something to suit your needs.

Edit: To answer you specific question about sharing locations:
Tap and hold on the desired spot on Nokia Maps, nearest address pops up, tap address, it goes to a Neighborhood screen for that location with a list of nearby shops, restaurants etc. and a few more functions, one of them is a Share button that lets you send the location via any account you have set up (email, IM, Facebook, Twitter, SMS etc.)

topet2k12001 2012-04-21 02:56

You now what amazes me about this community? Someone new posts a question, and immediately the author/developer of the app himself/herself would respond to the feedback, and even offering help. :) Such an act of volunteerism is hard to find in the midst of a highly competitive market (mobile devices).

This is the reason why I find it difficult to let go of my N900. I can't predict the future and may probably end up with a different device, but for sure I'm going to keep this N900 until it becomes a "rare item". :) I am excited to have a Nokia N9 in addition to the N900 as well.

adam917 2012-05-06 17:41

I expect that things will work differently and am willing to buy an Android phone + the N9 so I can have both platforms to use till I decide which to stick with. I wish Nokia would reconsider their commitment to Windows & make more MeeGo hardware so developers can be attracted to the platform once again. If they wanted to, they could have a split product line with some MeeGo phones & some WP like they were doing before with Maemo & Symbian.

jkingok 2012-05-07 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 1193791)
. As a long-time user of Google Maps on BlackBerry, S60, & now Android, I am very used to how it works & what is provided - between business listings, transit directions, Latitude (location tracking/sharing with friends), & the ability for me to send my location to someone via reverse geocoding (click the dot on the map, approx address pops up, you can then send this to the person or sometimes app of your choice).

It's technically possible to make Google Maps act like you're used to but it would be against their API terms of service unfortunately. It's a shame. Some of the functions can and have been done - there are at least 2 okay Latitude updaters on the Nokia Store (however you can't see your friends location). Places and Transit should work in a limited fashion if you use Google Reader or Plus to get into Google's enhanced mobile site (iPhone like) but not Maps. Latitude and Traffic are the two things that really hurt badly for me.

haliava 2012-05-09 14:29

Search on this forum could help.
https://gitorious.org/sowatch/pages/Home