maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Should I change root password (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=12382)

jay24 2007-11-28 02:17

Should I change root password

Hello,

First post and have an N810 coming tomorrow. I have spent the last number of weeks researching the N800/N810 and did not quite come across an answer to a question I have (I did search this site but did not find an exact answer). First, I am a developer and understand the "root" id in UNIX/Linux and that it should be locked down. Now for the question: if I do not install openssh or dropbear, do I really need to change the root password (i.e., will the N810 be secure)? I am thinking that the N810 is really an "appliance" and that out-of-the-box it should be secure. I am not really against changing the root password, I am just going out of town the day I get the N810 and most likely will not have a chance to do it.

Also, does changing the root password cause any issues with installing software? I am guessing that OS2008 uses "root" for various things and am not sure how it gains access to that account (if the password is changed).

Last question - can someone give me a few sentence reason to install openssh? I read a lot about what you can use it for but was looking for a general benefit of having it.

Thanks

Jay

barry99705 2007-11-28 03:09

Re: Should I change root password

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay24 (Post 101150)
Hello,

First post and have an N810 coming tomorrow. I have spent the last number of weeks researching the N800/N810 and did not quite come across an answer to a question I have (I did search this site but did not find an exact answer). First, I am a developer and understand the "root" id in UNIX/Linux and that it should be locked down. Now for the question: if I do not install openssh or dropbear, do I really need to change the root password (i.e., will the N810 be secure)? I am thinking that the N810 is really an "appliance" and that out-of-the-box it should be secure. I am not really against changing the root password, I am just going out of town the day I get the N810 and most likely will not have a chance to do it.

Also, does changing the root password cause any issues with installing software? I am guessing that OS2008 uses "root" for various things and am not sure how it gains access to that account (if the password is changed).

Last question - can someone give me a few sentence reason to install openssh? I read a lot about what you can use it for but was looking for a general benefit of having it.

Thanks

Jay

Having a full sized keyboard for doing command line config changes is really handy.

voidoo 2007-11-28 04:48

Quote:

Hello,

No, Maemo platform use "sudo" to execute tasks required "root" right.
You can check /etc/sudoers to see what tasks is allowed to execute.

Changing password will not affect the normal operation.

Besides, ask I know, OS2008 lock the account "root" by default. That mean you cannot login with any password. You can check if there is a "!" after "root:" in /etc/passwd

TA-t3 2007-11-28 11:34

Change the root password if you install the SSH server. Or you may be in for a surprise at some wi-fi hotspot!

(Yesterday I read a posting that said, IIRC, that the latest open-ssh package actually prompts you to change the pw during post-installation. Don't take my word for it though.)

EDIT: If OS2008 locks the root account (the user account is locked in OS2007 already) then you'll have to set up RSA authorization to use the ssh server at all. Anyway, if it's locked it's safer.

free 2007-11-28 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA-t3 (Post 101304)
Change the root password if you install the SSH server. Or you may be in for a surprise at some wi-fi hotspot!

Uhmm what kind of surprise?
I'm curious about that!

TA-t3 2007-11-28 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by free (Post 101316)
Uhmm what kind of surprise?
I'm curious about that!

The root account may be locked in OS2008, but in OS2007 all devices came with a standard, commonly known root password. Thus, if you install an ssh server anyone logged on to that hotspot will be able to ssh into your Nokia tablet as root, if they know about Nokia tablets and find you on the network. Unless you lock down the root account or change the root password.

E.g.
$ ssh -l root 192.168.1.12 rm -rf /
Password:
boom.

free 2007-11-28 17:21

Ah ok :)
I thought root account was locked on OS2007.
Also PermitRoot was set I guess.
Good that I changed it then!

gammer 2007-11-28 17:30

Quote:

Hello,

Thanks

Jay

This is just one reason: With ssh installed you can use winscp (you do use windows, do you?) to access the files on your tablet via wlan with winscp's file explorer. No cables needed, no sd card locked during file transfer. From Linux KDE use konqueror, for instance, to get the same comfort.

jmayson 2008-01-15 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammer (Post 101446)
This is just one reason: With ssh installed you can use winscp (you do use windows, do you?) to access the files on your tablet via wlan with winscp's file explorer. No cables needed, no sd card locked during file transfer. From Linux KDE use konqueror, for instance, to get the same comfort.

A couple of questions. Yes, I have searched, that's how I ended up here. :-)

I use Windows, but at work where there is no wifi. What can I access via USB? All I see is the folder with the maps.

At home I have wifi, but I'm on a Mac. Anyone have software recommendations?