maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Unlocked FM-Transmitter frequency 76.0Mhz->107.9Mhz (Limitation Fixed) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60567)

maxximuscool 2010-08-18 03:58

Unlocked FM-Transmitter frequency 76.0Mhz->107.9Mhz (Limitation Fixed)

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Found this modified configuration fiile for the FM transmitter from
http://jacekowski.org/Maemo/FMTXD

This custom FMTXD wll make the FM Transmitter range change freely.

The Configuration file is already modified by Jacekowski to 76.1Mhz->107.9Mhz

Place the file into /usr/sbin/ then your FMtransmitter will change from 88.1 to 76.1 as its lowest.

After replaced the original file with this custom version then the FM-transmitter will stopped working. Dont worry this is perfectly normal. Reboot will not fix it.

Now go to App manager and download FMTX-Fake application and you'll have your FM-transmitter back up and running and even better the bonus is it change your FM-transmitter to 76.0 to 107.9Mhz.

The tuning frequency is from 0 to 9.

Hope this help many other people as well :)
Thank

WARNING: Use this at your own risks :) It might be illegal to use the FM frequencies any lower than your country allowed. I'm not paying responsibility to any unlawful fine that you may get from your country authority, This is not my responsibility nor the developer responsibility. This is an open device, so do what ever you'd like as long you don't abusing your power. Like the spiderman said: Great power comes with great responsibility

Your FM - Transmitter power is now automatically boost to 120 power. This result of not need FM-Boost and While charging you will not lose any sound quality like the standard configuration. Actually you'll get better sound quality with charging :) tested that and worked great

Step by step guide:
===========================
Before starting:
Assuming you've got none of these installed:

*FM-Boost
*Simple FMTX widget
*FMTX-Faker
*And FM-Transmitter is turned off
. Then proceed the following :)

1. SSH client and Server and set a password
2. Download WinSCP and install it to your WIndows PC

3. Connect to WIFI network (home network)

4. Download "fmtxd" file and unzip it on your computer.

5. connect your computer to your N900 via WinSCP (your N900 has to be connected to WIFI).

6. Once connected, browse through in "root", look for a folder called "usr" and in the folder "usr" there are many other folders. So look for the folder called "sbin". In there you'll find fmtxd file. Copy it to your computer as a backup incase you want to go back to factory Radio frequency.

7. copy the modified version of fmtxd and replace the file inside /usr/sbin

8. Go to your FM-transmitter and check if your range has been change. Enable it and you'll get "Unable to use FM transmitter". Because of the standard app doesn't know the frequency range in the modified fmtxd . Don't panic it will be fixed later.

9. If you see the "Unable to use FM...blah" then quickly Open up Xterminal and type:
sudo gainroot
chmod +x /usr/sbin/fmtxd "this will register the new fmtxd to the FM transmitter Kernel"
killall fmtxd
fmtxd -d
"this will restart the FM transmitter daemon"

10. Now go to Application Manager and enable Extra-Devel, look for an application called FM-Faker, install it (read the description if you like) then your FM Transmitter will back up online again. With the frequency variations from 0 - 9, where as originally 1,3,5,7,9

FM Transmitter LIMITATION REMOVAL stage
First you'll need to download the dependencies:
Python2.5 (came with some applications in extra), rootsh

Download my little zip file called "FMTX-MaxxiLimit"
Extract it and copy the whole thing to the root of your N900.

Merge it with the folder "usr"

So it should be like this.

*** Please install Control Panel ProfileX from extra-devel, this custome profile app is required for the FMTX-MaxxLimit to work.

usr/lib/hildon-desktop/FMTX-MaxxiLimit.py
usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/FMTX-MaxxiLimit.desktop
usr/share/icons/hicolor/18x18/hildon/FreeRegionFMTX.png

Xterminal:
root
killall hildon-status-menu

You should see Southern Stars at the status menu.

That's it.
Enjoy
***Reboot will not change the setting back to "2".

I've decided not to packaging it up since I couldn't and failed many times on packaging this. So for now just manually install it.

For whome who has problem with the python package. You can download the shellScript version instead. Downoad it from post 2 and place it in the correct directory and reboot, Done***

Done.
Enjoy!
[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]
If you want screenshot then go to page 3.

Sucessful unlocked FM Transmitter video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcgcfemOks
======================

maxximuscool 2010-08-18 05:01

Re: FM-Transmitter fmtxd file modification 76Mhz->107Mhz

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the screenshots. Of a fully working FMTX unlocked status-menu.

UPDATE: fixed the Shell script bugs. Sorry didn't have the chance to tested it earlier. but now is tested and confirmed working on my device.

Two way to get this done. One is the fancy icon display and one is the silent mode.

With Python Package:
Once you see the Icon in the picture then you are all good to go. Reboot will not reset your region back to 2. Some people having problem with phython script on their system so if this doesn't work for you then try the bottom option.

If you can't get Python Package to work then use this.

This is shell script. This package contain 1 file but two functions. One is to swap the swappiness to 50 to reduce the load time and to make the device more responsive. second one is the Region4swap which will swap the region of your FMTX every start up to 4.

download it and paste it into your root and merge it with the folder in the root and it will do its magic.

otherwise just copy the file and place it in:

/etc/event.d/
reboot

Reboot and then type this to confirm the changes and to make sure it has been sucessfully applied.

cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/region

you now should see value of 4

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

you should now see swappiness value is 50

(in this script, Swappiness will help decrease applications loading and closing time and make it more responsive and rumour that it also increase the battery life on the same usage. Swappiness can be set as low as 10 but the lower it get the more RAM the system use, so 50 is an ideal level, original is 100, to find out more about swappiness please use google)

these are a sign of successfully applied. Now every reboot you'll not need to do anything else.

So enjoy!

maxximuscool 2010-08-18 05:13

1 Attachment(s)
Jacekowski has recently updated the FMTXD to suit PR1.3.

Changes to this version:

* Region is unlocked inside the FMTXD
* Power Strength set to 120 (as previous version)
* No need FM-Faker to get it to work :)
* Charging/plug in headphone while FM-transmitting will not interfaring
* Hassle free installation

Installation may required a bit of work from the first post if encountered problems when replaced the file with the original one :)

Do not use this package if you have already got your FMTXD hack work from the previous version. I tested it and ran into problems after removed my working FMTXD hacked. Problem will be fixed if you re-installed FMTX-Faker

ossipena 2010-08-18 05:25

do you know why the transmitter has been capped by software?

...lets just say that don't get caught using frequencies outside stock ones.... (it might not be illegal in your country but messing with radio frequencies isn't usually tolerated at all)

maxximuscool 2010-08-18 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 790024)
do you know why the transmitter has been capped by software?

...lets just say that don't get caught using frequencies outside stock ones.... (it might not be illegal in your country but messing with radio frequencies isn't usually tolerated at all)

I know but it's hard to get this FM-transmitter to get a clear clean frequency. So this is may be illegal but it's something that we can do at our own liability. This is a tweak only and it is going to help many people happy rather than upset.

I don't really care about the law but here in NZ the frequency range is from 85.50 -> 108.0Mhz.

I'm still using the legal range though :D since my radio won't go any lower than 85.50Mhz, but my friend radio is from Japan and it only got from 76Mhz - 89.5Mhz. Anything from 88.1Mhz is not clear since there are too many radio stations around.

So if you want to do this then it is at your own risks.

TiagoTiago 2010-08-18 05:59

Re: Modified FM-Transmitter frequency 76.0Mhz->107.9Mhz

Could someone post a tutorial on what exactly need to be changed in that file and what each of the involved lines do (and also what that faker prog does) please? I don't wanna just replace a system file with a version someone is distributing on the net without knowing what it is going on

maxximuscool 2010-08-18 06:32

Re: Modified FM-Transmitter frequency 76.0Mhz->107.9Mhz

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago (Post 790034)
Could someone post a tutorial on what exactly need to be changed in that file and what each of the involved lines do (and also what that faker prog does) please? I don't wanna just replace a system file with a version someone is distributing on the net without knowing thst is going on

There is no harm to your device. The N900 is an opensource device. You can modify anything you would like.

First off if you have SSH installed then you will find this process much easier to achieve. fmtxd is just the same file as the original file, the only things different is removal of restriction of frequencies range.

Originally is 88.1Mhz to 107.9Mhz.
Modified fmtxd frequency is: 76.1Mhz to 107.9Mhz

FM-Faker is an app to enable FM-transmitter on a device that got it disabled by default. Some country has a law against usage of FM-Transmitter. So it is illegal to have FM-trasmitter on any mobile device. FM-Fake enable the disable FM-Transmitter and make it usable like the device that got it enable by default.

Requirement:
1. SSH client and Server and set a password
2. Download WinSCP and install it to your WIndows PC

3. Connect to WIFI network (home network)

4. Download "fmtxd" file and unzip it on your computer.

5. connect your computer to your N900 via WinSCP (your N900 has to be connected to WIFI).

6. Once connected, browse through in "root", look for a folder called "usr" and in the folder "usr" there are many other folders. So look for the folder called "sbin". In there you'll find fmtxd file. Copy it to your computer as a backup incase you want to go back to factory Radio frequency.

7. copy the modified version of fmtxd and replace the file inside /usr/sbin

8. Go to your FM-transmitter and check if your range has been change. Enable it and you'll get "Unable to use FM transmitter". Because of the standard app doesn't know the frequency range in the modified fmtxd . Don't panic it will be fixed later.

9. If you see the "Unable to use FM...blah" then quickly Open up Xterminal and type:
sudo gainroot
killall fmtxd
fmtxd -d
"this will restart the FM transmitter daemon"

10. Now go to Application Manager and enable Extra-Devel, look for an application called FM-Faker, install it (read the description if you like) then your FM Transmitter will back up online again. With the frequency variations from 0 - 9, where as originally 1,3,5,7,9

Now you should see like the screenshots above in post 1.

YoDude 2010-08-18 13:22

Re: Modified (UNLOCKED) FM-Transmitter frequency 76.0Mhz->107.9Mhz

1 Attachment(s)
Ah... yet another example of the many contributions made by qwerty12 to this community. :)

I have been using jacekowski's modified FMTX binary since Faheem turned us on to it last month

Here are some hopefully helpful hints that may lead to a more positive outcome:

1. Make sure FMTX is not enabled on your N900 before proceeding.

2. Remove and uninstall FM Boost, FMTX widget, and any third party application that calls to or modifies the stock FMTX.
You wont need them anyway as the modified binary outputs at max power and ignores events like plugging in the charger that previously reduced power.

3. Before placing the modified FMTXD file in usr/sbin, rename the one found there to preserve it in case you encounter a problem. Remember this new name and you can switch back using a rooted command line if all turns to crap. :)

4. If you do not need to use a frequency outside the ones provided by Nokia then install qwerty12's modified .so file using the DEB or source found >>HERE<< and all should work.

quipper8 2010-08-18 13:35

just curious, what are y'all using frequencies below 88 for in the US?

I guess if you have your own radio equipment or something, but I am sure no auto radios or consumer stuff has those frequencies

quipper8 2010-08-18 13:43

ok, I just looked at this chart

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

and it says in the US 76-88 is for TV channels 5-6, so if you enable this can you pick up TV audio in that range?

EDIT:oh sorry, I realized this is about FM TRANSMITTING. whoops