maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   PR 1.3. Leaked? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64078)

maluka 2010-10-20 02:51

PR 1.3. Leaked?

Quote:

With an official release of PR1.3 right around the corner, it’s no surprise that wk36b2 image has been leaked. I’ve seen builds up to wk41 and adjustments to source for bug fixes in upstream repositories.

It’s unknown who built the image, or where it was pulled from. Internal testing? Yanked and built from upstream sources? Built out of PR1.2 with malicious intent? An embedded rootkit or backdoor? Who knows.

It was packed on a Windows XP system, October 8th at 11:15 AM. It’s a week 36, second build image. PR1.3 official is after week 41, at the very least. It contains slight version-updated packages and a kernel release of `2.6.28-20103103+0m5`.

As with my previous tweet, if you’re able to get your hands on the image (RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin) I’m recommending that casual N900 users do NOT install this. Wait for PR1.3 – straight from Nokia, with all the glorious bug-fixes and slight updates. Well, you should be able to boot MeeGo though, right?
via maemofanatics

RAZOR 2010-10-20 02:54

Re: PR 1.3. Leaked?

You're not keeping an eye on this thread are you?

maluka 2010-10-20 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAZOR (Post 845681)
You're not keeping an eye on this thread are you?

I am, but this is a different development and I'm not in the mood for more Chuck Norris jokes. ;)

F2thaK 2010-10-20 03:08

not meant to link to leaked firmware mate

RobbieThe1st 2010-10-20 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 845686)
not meant to link to leaked firmware mate

And your point is?

The OP did -not- link to a leaked image. He linked to new source talking about a leaked image.

SD. 2010-10-20 11:00

There's been posts about the leaked firmware for the past 3 days in the "Firmware 1.3 on its way????" thread.

Go there and read what's fixed and what's currently missing or broken.

It's definitely not the final build.

longcat 2010-10-20 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD. (Post 845958)
There's been posts about the leaked firmware for the past 3 days in the "Firmware 1.3 on its way????" thread.

Go there and read what's fixed and what's currently missing or broken.

It's definitely not the final build.

no, it's not final, plus Chinese central committee has a backdoor in it which subversively controls your behavior using alpha waves that come from omap processor underclocking

:P :P :P :P (flushing the water)

colm.smyth 2010-10-20 11:34

MeeGo Experts are detailing info and providing a link to download, yes PR1.3 or at least a leaked Chinese version. If this is a real official version albeit leaked I would doubt that much will change between now and the official version, this means that not much is changed based on MeeGo Experts findings.

Potentially this is not good news, what if nothing really changes, people will be rightly pi$$ed off

longcat 2010-10-20 11:43

according to my findings about leaked firmware: it's nice, but it has bugs that i'm not going to tell because it's irrelevant since it's not official, it's week 36

HangLoose 2010-10-20 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by colm.smyth (Post 845985)
MeeGo Experts are detailing info and providing a link to download, yes PR1.3 or at least a leaked Chinese version. If this is a real official version albeit leaked I would doubt that much will change between now and the official version, this means that not much is changed based on MeeGo Experts findings.

Potentially this is not good news, what if nothing really changes, people will be rightly pi$$ed off

The thing is not even released and you are already predicting that there will be whiners?! There will *always* be people *****ing about something, dont worry...

Just let the update come and then say something. This game prediction played in this forum is very tiresome and adds nothing to this place. (just like this post)

sygys 2010-10-20 12:37

the image is a 153 MB file the official releases are several hundreds MB's This cant be the real deal.

N900@900MHz 2010-10-20 12:44

1 Attachment(s)
Hello found this on www.maemoworld.ru
someone who ACTUALLY DID FLASH HIS PHONE WITH THE LEAKED firmware.
Some changes he noticed:

1) Map
- A "route recalculate" button is added to the upper left in routing mode.
2) hildon-desktop & modest:
- Latest git version as expected.
- Live search now shows the word you typed immediately even if you are in a folder with large number of files.
- Gas-ball FPS is much higher. Could be h-d or driver update, though.
- For apps supporting portrait mode, the transition to portrait now feels snappier or should I say sure-footed.
3) Microb (20100401-1.9.2-5.2+0m5/2.9.5-1.23+0m5):
- No "open link in background" option.
- In fullscreen mode, reflow keyboard shortcut still turn into auto focus on address instead.
- Feels better to use: loading page is faster and click is snappier.
4) PulseAudio (0.9.15-1maemo43+0m5)
- Seems to have less stuttering under heavy load.
5) Camera:
- No visible change in options.
- Auto focus speed seems to be a tad quicker.
- When front camera is used, say by Mirror, the indicator light turns red.
- Video still has frame-drop issue. I have it in both HQ and fine setting...
5) QT4.7: Some QT packages will need updating to work properly.
6) Dual boot: Errr... I don't know how to test this.
7) New sgx driver seems to be better as overall experience is smoother.
8) Some apps are broken due to dependency and version issue.
9) Flash is the same as PR1.2 at least on 36-2 build.

On the site you can find a link to RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.zip for download.

Link to forum maemoworld.ru :
http://forum.maemoworld.ru/viewtopic.php?id=3036

link is in 1st post click on tyt*
you will redirected to download site
So if someone is willing to try????

N900@900MHz 2010-10-20 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sygys (Post 846031)
the image is a 153 MB file the official releases are several hundreds MB's This cant be the real deal.

Actually the zip file is 142 MB....

PR1.2 is 179 MB so it could be REAL!

nath 2010-10-20 12:50

I wouldn't try it if you value your n900...

longcat 2010-10-20 12:54

first one i downloaded yesterday was 193 mb, pr1.2 is 183mb

mankir 2010-10-20 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by N900@900MHz (Post 846045)
Actually the zip file is 142 MB....

PR1.2 is 179 MB so it could be REAL!

leaked one is 190,9 MB (unzipped)

onion 2010-10-20 12:56

Nice to know about what might be coming, thanks for testing. I prefer to wait for the real thing.
I just wish maemo updates would be more like normal linux distros, with updates coming from time to time and not as big drops like this.

longcat 2010-10-20 12:57

why do you bother, wait for real one, this one is unfinished

geneven 2010-10-20 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nath (Post 846047)
I wouldn't try it if you value your n900...

They warned us about PR1.2 leaked and the warnings turned out to be total BS.

Parody 2010-10-20 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 846056)

yes I guess all those bricked devices were a coincidence

extendedping 2010-10-20 13:31

will it make something apart from my kindle charger work with the usb port?

Tiboric 2010-10-20 13:59

gona try it on my spare n900. so i can't have any problems. let you guys know the out come...

theflew 2010-10-20 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by onion (Post 846053)
Nice to know about what might be coming, thanks for testing. I prefer to wait for the real thing.
I just wish maemo updates would be more like normal linux distros, with updates coming from time to time and not as big drops like this.

I think phones are treated more like appliances that have to work. I think casual users don't want to see a blinking icon every couple of days saying there is an update for their phone. It makes it appear "not done". There is a reason Apple only releases updates yearly - It's all about perception.

twigleaf1976 2010-10-20 14:19

Hope that isn't the list, all the problems with the N900, having a red light on the face camera wasn't up there of the ones to fix. Or am I the only one thinking that. Do people really need a little red blinking light to tell them it's working?

Hope it isn't the final build, the only thing I see is the media player isn't stuttering under heavy load. Hope that includes no stuttering under normal 'not running anything else' mode???? Here's hoping.

gruik 2010-10-20 14:22

does nokia has improved applications manager's speed?
can we make a search on the N900 with the keyboard without open an application (like spotlight)?

paulemm 2010-10-20 16:17

I tried it, first thing you will notice, its a lot smoother, faster There is an updated version of shockwave flash plugin 9.0 r277 in PR1.2 its 9.0 r260. More features is added to Maemo Browser like plugin installation tab, maps now have more options with new nokia messagebus plugin. Updated repositories, I find it a lot more responsive or maybe its placebo effect I also find Application Manager a little faster But it is clearly not finished

paulemm 2010-10-20 16:21

Also I find sound to be much louder, After playing with it for an hour I reflashed my phone back to PR1.2. Defenitely worth waiting for an official final version. Or and I also tried the latest meego build a lot more aprovement there too, Fennec browser finally works very slow though. Hopefully when we are able to install on the fast eMMC storage it will run a lot faster

Makeclick 2010-10-20 16:37

Download Faster application manager! It works very fast and you can install and remove many software at ones! Then you never use that old one :)

sygys 2010-10-20 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflew (Post 846113)
I think phones are treated more like appliances that have to work. I think casual users don't want to see a blinking icon every couple of days saying there is an update for their phone. It makes it appear "not done". There is a reason Apple only releases updates yearly - It's all about perception.

Maybe youre right... but maemo isnt finished! and everyone knows that. so a monthly small update wouldnt be so bad if you ask me

cutehunk04 2010-10-20 17:48

one of m frn is in nokia, just tlkd to him, he said PR 1.3 ll b out soon... may b the end of week.... cheers

Clubberlang 2010-10-20 18:00

wait... there is a new sgx driver? I thought they weren't fixing it.

PradaBrada 2010-10-20 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutehunk04 (Post 846303)
one of m frn is in nokia, just tlkd to him, he said PR 1.3 ll b out soon... may b the end of week.... cheers

thts a gud thry

woody14619 2010-10-20 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parody (Post 846061)

All those bricked devices? Can you point to one? Didn't think so.

The N900 is very difficult to brick. Worst case some people had to re-flash back to the old software because the beta had an incompatibility with an app or two, or certain SIM cards. I've yet to hear of a single N900 bricking due to software. The few that have bricked have primarily been due to hardware failures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcat (Post 846054)
why do you bother, wait for real one, this one is unfinished

While I agree, I also snagged a copy of the image. One can extract/examine parts from the image if one wants to without flashing it to a device. Plus, in the unlikely event that PR1.3 doesn't come down the line, I'd rather have a copy that I can optionally upgrade to, vs not having bothered getting a copy and then having no options. :)

That's the reason I got the N900. So have the option to run whatever I want on it. I'll probably wait for PR1.3 to drop, mainly because I'd rather at least try to do an OTA update vs a reflash. Simply snagging a copy of a W36 image doesn't mean I'm obligated to flash it...

Dave999 2010-10-20 18:14

I dont think the leaked PR1.2 bricked any devices. Howerver, there were some issues. But a reflash solved all of them.

read this thread and report back if you find any bricked devices ;)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=leak+pr1.2

geneven 2010-10-20 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parody (Post 846061)

There were no bricked devices. You have to read those threads carefully. There were people who tried to go back to the earlier version, and the solution was to not do that, or to go back to the leaked version at the time.

On the other hand, there are excellent arguments for claiming that the non-leaked PR2.1 hurt a number of people. This would be misleading too, for certain reasons, but numerically many more people claimed to have struck disaster with the official version of PR1.2.

smoothc 2010-10-20 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 846318)
I dont think the leaked PR1.2 bricked any devices. Howerver, there were some issues. But a reflash solved all of them.

read this thread and report back if you find any bricked devices ;)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=leak+pr1.2

Some people would say they bricked their device when they needed to flash it.

elie-7 2010-10-20 18:29

nice nice, more ways to make the n900 even faster !
now just one question, after pr1.3, will we be able to overclock directly ?? or can we install modified hildon-desktops directly ? or can we have custom transitions directly ??
or do we have to wait for more updates ?

ossipena 2010-10-20 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 846056)

yeah, the people who got their messages screwed just accidentally went to command line and initiated sqlite connection to rtcom-eventlogger -database altering something essential...

geneven 2010-10-20 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossipena (Post 846345)
yeah, the people who got their messages screwed just accidentally went to command line and initiated sqlite connection to rtcom-eventlogger -database altering something essential...

So they had to throw their N900s away?

woody14619 2010-10-20 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothc (Post 846334)
Some people would say they bricked their device when they needed to flash it.

Those people would be using the term bricked incorrectly then.

Bricking is when your device becomes about as useful as a brick, or a door stop or such. If your PC crashed and you had to pull out the re-install CDs and reinstall your OS, would you call that "bricked"? No. Because once you re-install, it's still a useful device.

You can actually brick a number of phones (including some iPhones) with a hack or a software update gone wrong. It can wind up in a state where you can't fix it without custom in-house tools. In some cases, some poorly designed devices can wind up completely unfix-able. You can brick many devices where the flash loader is in flash itself, and is typically overwritten as part of the update.

The N900 has it's flash code in ROM, and Nokia has at least 3 release images that you can download and flash directly to the device via common computers that most people have access to. You can reload that software if something happens and you'll wind up in a known state, with a working base device again. And since all the tools are local, you can download and archive them, and as long as you have another device with a compatible architecture for flashing, you can use those archives for as long as both devices survive.

The only way to brick an N900 is by damaging hardware, and with very few exceptions (eg. i2c) you can't do that via software on the N900.