maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ad-hoc WLAN tethering to Bodhilinux box with (Qt) Mobile Hotspot or Joiku (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84077)

bennypr0fane 2012-05-05 13:54

Ad-hoc WLAN tethering to Bodhilinux box with (Qt) Mobile Hotspot or Joiku

Hello,
I found threads about tethering N900 via USB, via bluetooth, tethering via WLAN to a webOS Touchpad or even from to Windows to webOS.

Different problem here:
My Linux PC (Ubuntu-based Bodhi Linux 1.4, using Network Manager) won't tether to the Mobile Hotspot from my N900.
Bodhi can see the mobile hotspot but fails to establish a connection - status says "connected", but I get no internet access, and the network icon shows "connecting...."
I suspect Linux has a problem with ad-hoc network mode: N900 can't create an infrastructure-mode hotspot, it only does ad-hoc.

My Wifi module connects to infrastructure wifi spots fine, just not the ad-hoc ones from phones (I've tried N900 and C7).
Has anyone successfully WLAN-tethered their N900 to a Linux box, using (Qt or non) Mobile Hospot?
Maybe using a different application for the network connection (e.g. ConnMan)?
Or is there a way to make N900 offer an infrastructure-mode hotspot?

The same PC tethers alright under Windows btw, so the issue is probably related to Linux on the PC (maybe one that my hardware has with Linux, I'm thinking maybe a new WLAN driver?).
Thanks, Ben

P.S.:Yes I already posted this issue to the Bodhilinux forums, no help so far...

anthonie 2012-05-05 14:22

Re: Ad-hoc WLAN tethering to Bodhilinux box with (Qt) Mobile Hotspot or Joiku

I think your problem has something to do with the network manager of Enlightenment. Gnome's network-manager works fine under Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop as well as on my EEE.

Have a look at the enlightenment forum as it will probably be of more help than talk.maemo.

Edit: If I remember correctly, you need to install the Exalt module in order to work with ad hoc connections in E17. Hope that helps.

shanttu 2012-05-05 14:32

After hours of searching and trying I gave up and have used only wired connection created by Qt Mobile Hotspot. Ubuntu Oneiric

immi.shk 2012-05-05 14:41

Try Keeping your N900 Hotspot on open mode.. i.e. no WEP key.. just try..

Also, if you have NITDroid on your N900.. you can try This
N900 Nitdroid WiFi Hotspot

bennypr0fane 2012-05-07 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonie (Post 1202216)
I think your problem has something to do with the network manager of Enlightenment. Gnome's network-manager works fine under Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop as well as on my EEE.

Have a look at the enlightenment forum as it will probably be of more help than talk.maemo.

Edit: If I remember correctly, you need to install the Exalt module in order to work with ad hoc connections in E17. Hope that helps.

Bodhi uses the Gnome network manager by default.
I have downloaded the Exalt module, but I don't know how to make it work alongside, or with the built-in nm, or a different one. Will look in E forums, but if Exalt is meant for the E nm, I doubt it'll do anything for the Gnome one.
I tried ConnMan now instead of Gnome nm, no success