maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bible App for Maemo 5 Device(s) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31114)

ARJWright 2009-08-30 03:46

Bible App for Maemo 5 Device(s)

Update: This project is underway and here is the current project status (or follow via Twitter with the hashtags #katanabible and/or #maemo/#maemo5).

A few questions related to a Bible application for Maemo 5 device(s):
  • Is there anyone working on one, if so, I'd be up to assist in testing, UI, etc. (am not a developer)
  • If there isn't one under development, would this kind of application be useful and if so what features rank highest
  • If not a Bible application specifically, would a browser-extension that works with a Bible-based website be a suitable development target
  • What are some of the positives and negatives of Bible applications for Maemo 5 devices (pick the perspective that's relevant to you to speak towards)

Thanks for entertaining the questions. Hopefully, there can be some momentum around this and we can build something like Mauku and other apps that are a highlight to the platform, not just a benefit to the user.

Lord Raiden 2009-08-30 13:26

Re: Bible App for Maemo 5 Device(s)

Check out Rapier. It will do what you need.

ColdFusion 2009-08-30 15:15

What's a Bible app?

funpig 2009-08-30 15:20

Can app that for Maemo 4 running in Maemo 5 successfuly?

Lord Raiden 2009-08-30 16:51

Unless it uses specific system calls relevant only to Maemo 4, then yes. Especially since, aside from some feature improvements and a new kernel, it's essentially the same as Maemo 4. Or at least the run environment is from what I understand.

lschumanfcoe 2009-08-30 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFusion (Post 318312)
What's a Bible app?

An application providing the ability to read and search within the Bible. Maybe with the opportunity to compare translations or research relevant topics?

timsamoff 2009-08-30 19:12

The original question wasn't asking about whether an application like this exists, but if someone is working on one for Maemo 5.

Tim

darethehair 2009-08-30 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden (Post 318353)
Unless it uses specific system calls relevant only to Maemo 4, then yes. Especially since, aside from some feature improvements and a new kernel, it's essentially the same as Maemo 4. Or at least the run environment is from what I understand.

I, too, am very much *assuming* that Rapier will work just as well on Maemo 5 and it does on 4. If not, I very much *hope* that the author will port it to Maemo 5! :)

ColdFusion 2009-08-30 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lschumanfcoe (Post 318358)
An application providing the ability to read and search within the Bible. Maybe with the opportunity to compare translations or research relevant topics?

And that's for a theologists or philosophers or something?

ARJWright 2009-08-30 23:50

I assume that there would be some mods needed to Rapier. For one, there's a HID document that outlines how programs should behave and function, Rapier doesn't follow that for M5 at this point.

Nevertheless, I don't want to assume that Rapier's developer has the time to develop. He may have the time to head a small dev team. That kind of activity is something a lot of us who'd like this application could get behind and then make something that's not only suitable, but befitting the platform.

@ColdFusion: theologists, philosophers, and just those interested in Judeao-Christian writings tend to enjoy the Bible as a source of ethics, history, and occasional encouragement.