maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96074)

Copernicus 2015-10-19 01:24

Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Well, I have to admit I have not been keeping up with the Raspberry Pi world. I think I remember hearing that someone was working on porting Sailfish to the Pi; but they've gotten a bit further than I'd thought. Here's a guy who's cobbled together a Pi, a battery, a touchscreen, and Sailfish 1.1.9.28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBneqlCddnk

I have to admit, given that I now expect it'll be some months before I personally receive a Jolla tablet (and the phone just doesn't exist here), this is looking like an appealing way to come up with a usable Sailfish device (even if it looks like a frankenstein's monster :) ).

So, anyone here have any experience running Sailfish on a Pi? :)

Here are some more links on this Pi "tablet":

https://sailpi.wordpress.com/2015/10...dalone-tablet/

https://hackaday.com/2015/10/18/rasp...n-sailfish-os/

EDIT: Some images of this monster:

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3359.jpg

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3360.jpg

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3363.jpg

EDIT 2: BTW, the video shows Sailfish running on a Pi connected to a touchscreen, but not this particular battery-powered Pi...

Here's a video of the actual "tablet" in action. Even better, it's being used to control an LED via the Pi's GPIO pins from a Python script running under Sailfish...

https://youtu.be/xGOLm8PnoaU

gerbick 2015-10-19 04:06

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
dude... locusf is awesome! I'm following this like mad, might get me to buy a Raspberry Pi touch screen after all.

explit 2016-06-14 14:10

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1485983)
Well, I have to admit I have not been keeping up with the Raspberry Pi world. I think I remember hearing that someone was working on porting Sailfish to the Pi; but they've gotten a bit further than I'd thought. Here's a guy who's cobbled together a Pi, a battery, a touchscreen, and Sailfish 1.1.9.28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBneqlCddnk

I have to admit, given that I now expect it'll be some months before I personally receive a Jolla tablet (and the phone just doesn't exist here), this is looking like an appealing way to come up with a usable Sailfish device (even if it looks like a frankenstein's monster :) ).




Here are some more links on this Pi "tablet":

https://sailpi.wordpress.com/2015/10...dalone-tablet/

https://hackaday.com/2015/10/18/rasp...n-sailfish-os/

EDIT: Some images of this monster:

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3359.jpg

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3360.jpg

https://sailpi.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/img_3363.jpg

EDIT 2: BTW, the video shows Sailfish running on a Pi connected to a touchscreen, but not this particular battery-powered Pi...

Here's a video of the actual "tablet" in action. Even better, it's being used to control an LED via the Pi's GPIO pins from a Python script running under Sailfish...

https://youtu.be/xGOLm8PnoaU

Hello guys!
Did you know if Sailfish will work on Raspberry Pi 3?
Or i really need a raspberry Pi 2 for it?
So, anyone here have any experience running Sailfish on a Pi? :)

eekkelund 2016-06-14 14:19

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by explit (Post 1507606)
Hello guys!
Did you know if Sailfish will work on Raspberry Pi 3?
Or i really need a raspberry Pi 2 for it?
So, anyone here have any experience running Sailfish on a Pi? :)

Hi! Yes SailfishOS works on Raspberry 3. I have SFOS and Nemo running on RasPi2 and @locusf has them both also at RasPi3. :)

pichlo 2016-06-14 18:29

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Isn't that wonderful. But why do we need two threads on the same topic? :confused:

juiceme 2017-09-03 09:36

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Regarding power consumption statistics of different raspberries, I made some tests over the last few weeks to get to know what is the exact runtime of a RaspberryPI board on a battery.

For each test, I fully charged the battery and then let a board run as long as it shut down due to empty battery. On each board I had a cron script logging uptime every 5 minutes so I got to know the exact time it remained alive.
Each board had only base OS load running, no intensive tasks. The OS was on default settings and I applied no power-conserving tweaks for any of the boards.
I repeated the test 3 times for each board, and the results for each board dffered less than 30 minutes for each run. The presented results under are the average for each board.

Unfortunately I have no PI Zero, so could only do the tests on models 1, 2 and 3.

Code:

Model        runtime      Kernel        Raspbian
------------------------------------------------------
RasPI 1      17 hours      3.12.28      7.6
RasPI 2      26,5 hours    4.1.19        7.11
RasPI 3      17,5 hours    4.4.38        8.0

Based on the results it seems that RaspberryPI model 3 easily outperforms both models 1 and 3.
However, I suspect that having a different OS and kernel versions on different boards leads to some variance, so maybe I should also run the test using identical OS/kernel.

mosen 2017-09-03 10:52

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Here is a measurement done by raspi.tv to roughly sort the pi zero.
Should not be that much difference to A+?

http://raspi.tv/wp-content/uploads/2...age-Zero-W.png

Edit, could you specify your rpi1 according to the chart? What do you have A/A+/B/B+? I guess B+ from the 17hours.

juiceme 2017-09-03 13:56

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533859)
Here is a measurement done by raspi.tv to roughly sort the pi zero.
Should not be that much difference to A+?

http://raspi.tv/wp-content/uploads/2...age-Zero-W.png

Edit, could you specify your rpi1 according to the chart? What do you have A/A+/B/B+? I guess B+ from the 17hours.

Yes, You are corrct, my PI1 is model B+

Odd that from the above chart all the boards I have should have almost identical power profile, however my own measurements show that model 2B is superior when compared to the others.

mosen 2017-09-03 15:43

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
very odd concidering rpi2b has to power 4 usb ports and lan.
But 2b is the only pi to feature BCM2836 with Arm cortex a7.
Maybe some advanced power saving over the other models when ideling for a certain time?

maegon9y00 2017-09-04 13:13

Re: Raspberry Pi Sailfish Tablet
 
http://imgim.com/screenshot-20170904-084553.png
It is difficult to see this post using a n900!
Perhaps the full of pixels images make the reading hard to process.
Anyway, according to juiceme's measures the best option is raspi2 in battery duration. I wonder how different will be measuring with exactly the same kernel and OS on the three boards. Here were I live a raspi3 is sold in 35usd. Not raspi2 or raspi1 at least not found yet.
Where U got the sailfish OS ISO image for raspi?


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:29.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8