maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True.. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100142)

immi.shk 2018-01-09 14:49

Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Gemini is an ultra-thin clamshell mobile device with fully integrated tactile QWERTY keyboard, that fits in your pocket. Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option. Gemini is fully equipped with 4G, WiFi & Bluetooth enabling both data communications and mobile phone calls.

https://www.planetcom.co.uk/wp-conte.../02/Image6.jpg


https://liliputing-wpengine.netdna-s.../gemini_07.jpg
https://liliputing-wpengine.netdna-s.../gemini_04.jpghttps://zdnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/...ith-psion5.jpghttps://liliputing-wpengine.netdna-s.../gemini_02.jpg
https://zdnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/...ith-psion5.jpg
https://zdnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/...da-monitor.jpg

sulu 2018-01-09 15:33

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1540082)
Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option.

According to the indiegogo page the 2nd Linux besides Android is Debian.

Some questions:
1. Does this Debian have its own kernel or does it use the Android kernel?
2. If it has its own kernel, is it a Debian distribution kernel?
3. If it isn't, are all the modules mainlined?
4. If they aren't, where do I get the sources?
5. Which blobs are involved?

Edit:
Why does the last photo show the desktop running as root?

theonelaw 2018-01-09 20:16

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Buy soon,
Availability may decrease:

Quote:

Winner of @CES Innovation Award.

railroadmaster 2018-01-09 22:10

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/
I would really like this desktop environment on it.

sulu 2018-01-09 23:04

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1540097)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/
I would really like this desktop environment on it.

Early versions of Xfce were heavily inspired by CDE, and since the Debian variant already uses Xfce, one could argue, that you'd be using some sort of spiritual offspring of CDE anyways.

immi.shk 2018-01-10 01:52

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Larger video with a bit more discription
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZL8F1lYAY

deprecated 2018-01-10 03:42

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Still skeptical. Concerns about the kernel and whether or not it's using some abstraction layer between Android device drivers and the Linux system. If it's pure debian with a real Linux kernel, I'm buying two.

kinggo 2018-01-10 08:11

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by deprecated (Post 1540104)
Still skeptical. Concerns about the kernel and whether or not it's using some abstraction layer between Android device drivers and the Linux system. If it's pure debian with a real Linux kernel, I'm buying two.

well, since it's MTK based I'm pretty sure that it's android kernel. That's why I wasn't interested in the first place.

peterleinchen 2018-01-10 22:19

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1540084)
According to the indiegogo page the 2nd Linux besides Android is Debian.

Some questions:
1. Does this Debian have its own kernel or does it use the Android kernel?
2. If it has its own kernel, is it a Debian distribution kernel?
3. If it isn't, are all the modules mainlined?
4. If they aren't, where do I get the sources?
5. Which blobs are involved?

Edit:
Why does the last photo show the desktop running as root?

Nobody here knows the answers?
Has that non been asked on Indiegogo? Or just not yet been answered?

This device looks tempting...

railroadmaster 2018-01-11 00:04

Re: Gemini PDA Happened, A Debian Linux Dream Came True..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1540101)
Early versions of Xfce were heavily inspired by CDE, and since the Debian variant already uses Xfce, one could argue, that you'd be using some sort of spiritual offspring of CDE anyways.

XFCE is cool but I want a true 90s interface


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:54.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8