maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What to do with contacts.db (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100042)

Nikos Alexandris 2017-11-04 19:54

What to do with contacts.db

Dear forum, having an Xperia X and running SailfishX on it, I am still wondering for what would be an easy way to get my old contacts, out of a contacts.db file.

There is this question: https://together.jolla.com/question/...to-do-with-it/

I still did not manage to make it work. Is there any workaround to export the contacts as vcf files, from the db file? Then, import.

Thank you for any hints, Nikos

Boxeri 2017-11-04 20:13

Re: What to do with contacts.db

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikos Alexandris (Post 1538158)
Dear forum, having an Xperia X and running SailfishX on it, I am still wondering for what would be an easy way to get my old contacts, out of a contacts.db file.

There is this question: https://together.jolla.com/question/...to-do-with-it/

I still did not manage to make it work. Is there any workaround to export the contacts as vcf files, from the db file? Then, import.

Thank you for any hints, Nikos

If you are ok with using google, could you not sync them with your google account and them re-sync and import them to your new device?

Nikos Alexandris 2017-11-04 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxeri (Post 1538160)
If you are ok with using google, could you not sync them with your google account and them re-sync and import them to your new device?

Thanks. I am not using Google services. There is an old account. I'd prefer not to use it though.

However, you mean I can import/upload the db file in Google's contact-whatever the service is?

I really have only this db file. It's from a Jolla 1.

Worst case, to avoid going manually over all contacts: shouldn't it be scriptable to read the db, export as csv, format properly then as vcf?

suicidal_orange 2017-11-04 21:31

From reading the link it's an sqlite database so you can do with that as you please, including opening it using the sqlite command on a computer and exporting to CSV.

Edit: Had a look - this file handles way more than just contacts as its name suggests! What part(s) are you trying to keep?

pagis 2017-11-04 22:51

The easiest option is to create a backup from your old device and restore it in the new one.

Another option is to unzip the backup file and extract /People/data/all.vcf which then can be imported into the new device.

contacts.db lives in /home/nemo/.local/share/system/Contacts/qtcontacts-sqlite directory but I suspect it will not run directly in another device.

Nikos Alexandris 2017-11-04 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange (Post 1538166)
From reading the link it's an sqlite database so you can do with that as you please, including opening it using the sqlite command on a computer and exporting to CSV.

Edit: Had a look - this file handles way more than just contacts as its name suggests! What part(s) are you trying to keep?

Yes, I have seen the file myself and it's more than just contacts. Ideally, I would love to transfer the contacts as they are. I have SMSes and the communication history already transferred successfully.

Nikos Alexandris 2017-11-04 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagis (Post 1538171)
The easiest option is to create a backup from your old device and restore it in the new one.

Another option is to unzip the backup file and extract /People/data/all.vcf which then can be imported into the new device.

contacts.db lives in /home/nemo/.local/share/system/Contacts/qtcontacts-sqlite directory but I suspect it will not run directly in another device.

The "backup" way does not apply in my case. I have had only this *emergency* copy of the db and the rest of the files in the same directory.

suicidal_orange 2017-11-04 23:42

So just names, numbers and e-mail addresses? That shouldn't be too hard to get out using some sql, though converting to vcf looks messy. I'll have a play tomorrow...

pichlo 2017-11-05 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagis (Post 1538171)

I do not know about another device but I have definitely restored my contacts using instructions here after a factory reset, having nothing but the contacts.db file.

The key might be to copy the file whilst the services that would otherwise use it are not running. Which means in Recovery Mode. Then reboot and you are in the game.

As I said, I have not tried it between devices but I find it hard to believe that it would be much different.

alfredquack 2017-11-05 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1538186)
As I said, I have not tried it between devices but I find it hard to believe that it would be much different.

well, making a backup file and importing it, didn't work from Jolla1 to JollaC, both updated recently, so running 2.1.3.7

It really worked flawlessly from nokia to nokia symbian, just lay both phone side by side, push the button and voilá new phone old contacts...

should be possible to keep one's data across sailfish phone without having to use google, shouldn't it!