maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ThoughtFix Interviews Nokia (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15579)

sungrove 2008-01-26 15:58

Re: ThoughtFix Interviews Nokia

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherifnix (Post 133221)
Having offline access to your contact info is kinda basic :) They need to spend some time with that.

Victor mentions PIM in Thoughtfixes interview:

From Victor:
"People are asking for PIM synchronization but if we release that now and the next OS breaks that, users are out of luck. We have to think about how this will work on existing tablets and in the long term. The Video Converter got some bad feedback for being Windows only. We had to match the software to the needs of the market. For PIM/PDA synchronization, we need to spend time organizing the best, longest lasting, and most flexible way to release it and then maintain it as the product moves forward."

I think this shows that Nokia is mindfull of PIM, but trying to be careful about how it is implemented.

Neil

Karel Jansens 2008-01-26 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungrove (Post 134021)
Victor mentions PIM in Thoughtfixes interview:

From Victor:
"People are asking for PIM synchronization but if we release that now and the next OS breaks that, users are out of luck. We have to think about how this will work on existing tablets and in the long term. The Video Converter got some bad feedback for being Windows only. We had to match the software to the needs of the market. For PIM/PDA synchronization, we need to spend time organizing the best, longest lasting, and most flexible way to release it and then maintain it as the product moves forward."

I think this shows that Nokia is mindfull of PIM, but trying to be careful about how it is implemented.

Neil

... or they're blowing pretty coloured smoke. I mean, if had no intention of ever releasing a PIM but didn't want the user base to know, that's exactly what I would say: "We're going slowly to make sure we're doing it right. Just be patient, it'll come".

GeneralAntilles 2008-01-26 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 134026)
... or they're blowing pretty coloured smoke. I mean, if had no intention of ever releasing a PIM but didn't want the user base to know, that's exactly what I would say: "We're going slowly to make sure we're doing it right. Just be patient, it'll come".

Karel, man, the cynicism these days is incredible. Maybe it's time to go talk a walk and breath the fresh-air for a little while. :p

Hedgecore 2008-01-26 16:14

I've got one.

Despite doing a good job convincing the consumer base that end-of-life is acceptable on a $400+ dollar gadget after merely 12 months, what are your concrete plans for Stage 5 and why should I keep buying tablets once a year if we're not there yet?

To those of you with a 770, N800, and N810 sitting in front of you right now, be honest. Don'tcha feel a *little* suckered?

sungrove 2008-01-26 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 134026)

I see your point. Well said. It does seem like a well functioning PIM on the Nokia would be well worth it to Nokia. I don't get it either.
On the other hand, I'm starting to have some pretty good success with the Garnet VM , Palm datebk5, Palm Desktop and syncronizing those. True, that's a bit clunky so far though and the screen size is small on the N800 compared to what it could be.

Neil

Karel Jansens 2008-01-26 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 134030)
Karel, man, the cynicism these days is incredible. Maybe it's time to go talk a walk and breath the fresh-air for a little while. :p

I'd respond, but I really don't know what to. You have nothing to say about my argument, only about me.

And as a general rule I don't dispute people's opinions of me. It's pretty pointless.

sungrove 2008-01-26 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgecore (Post 134031)
I've got one.
To those of you with a 770, N800, and N810 sitting in front of you right now, be honest. Don'tcha feel a *little* suckered?

I can honestly say I don't feel at all 'suckered'. To the contrary, I am blown away by all the things I can now do with my n800. But I didn't expect a PIM devise when I purchased last January. I won't bore you with my list of things I like on my Nokia. You know the list. But I don't know how current purchasers of an N800 can feel cheated at the prices they are going for now.

GeneralAntilles 2008-01-26 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgecore (Post 134031)

Well, I can't speak to the N810, but as the owner of 2 perfectly awesome 770s and an n800, I can honestly say no. ;)

GeneralAntilles 2008-01-26 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 134045)
I'd respond, but I really don't know what to. You have nothing to say about my argument, only about me.

Eh, there wasn't much of an argument in your post to respond to. ;)

msaunby 2008-01-26 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 134064)
Well, I can't speak to the N810, but as the owner of 2 perfectly awesome 770s and an n800, I can honestly say no. ;)

Well as I'm sat here with one of each in front of me I actually feel quite privileged; but who wouldn't :-)

Now I think I'll sit and watch TV and drink a beer, oh and I'll take the N800 with me and see if I can get TrueCrypt running during he ads - now I've reflashed the kernel.