maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 20XX? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100370)

endsormeans 2018-06-22 23:53

What's the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 20XX?

There we go...
this new and improved thread should cover the bases for the next few decades....
:D

mscion 2018-06-23 00:01

Re: What's the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 20XX?

Brilliant!

endsormeans 2018-06-23 00:29

Acting!!!!!!

endsormeans 2018-06-23 00:29

Thank You!!!!!!

endsormeans 2018-06-23 00:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZSkWBJwBU

mscion 2018-06-23 10:28

(reposted from the 2016 thread)

Beta version of Gnuroot Debian for testing. Has a new name. Seems to be working on Oreo. Check near end of thread in link.

https://github.com/corbinlc/GNURootDebian/issues/206

wicket 2018-10-22 19:33

Another one for the mix. ;)

https://liliputing.com/2018/09/one-m...l-core-m3.html

gerbick 2018-10-22 22:15

I have to ask; do any of these brands really mean anything to you guys? At least when Nokia was doing it, you knew it was going to be quality.

wicket 2018-10-22 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1549585)
I have to ask; do any of these brands really mean anything to you guys? At least when Nokia was doing it, you knew it was going to be quality.

Nokia? Quality? Might I remind of the N900 USB port problem? The same question of quality can be asked for other leading brands... Samsung and exploding batteries... It seems Apple still haven't learnt from the iPhone 4 Antennagate.

I do see your point though. I don't expect the quality of these Chinese brands like GPD and One-Netbook to be any better. Much less in fact. I look at these Chinese devices and I see design issues. The keyboards have awkwardly placed keys. The placement of the hinge on the GPD Pocket (1 and 2) makes it awkward to use the bottom of the touchscreen. The thing is, if you want a modern computer (with either Windows or mainline Linux) that fits in your pocket, there aren't any other options. I'd love it if a leading brand made something similar but they aren't. At the end of the day, there are many happy users of these devices, despite their quirks. I must admit I'm just happy to see competition in this market, even if it is from an unknown brand. Given that context, I'm not likely to be an early adopter. I still haven't bought any of these devices. The OneMix 2 looks interesting but I'll wait for it to be released, see how well it is received and if there are any issues with (lack of) Linux drivers before deciding what to buy.

gerbick 2018-10-23 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1549588)
Nokia? Quality? Might I remind of the N900 USB port problem? The same question of quality can be asked for other leading brands... Samsung and exploding batteries... It seems Apple still haven't learnt from the iPhone 4 Antennagate.

Whoa. I was one of the most vocal against the ******** veil that this forum loved to pull over and say "It's not a problem for me".

The 770 and N810 were quality devices. Built well. I honestly was not a fan of the N900. It was a step backwards for me in way more than one way. So no... not the N900.

So Samsung had an issue. It was bound to happen.

Apple... don't get me started there either. But I think in the end, we're talking the same language.

Quote:

I do see your point though. I don't expect the quality of these Chinese brands like GPD and One-Netbook to be any better. Much less in fact. I look at these Chinese devices and I see design issues. The keyboards have awkwardly placed keys. The placement of the hinge on the GPD Pocket (1 and 2) makes it awkward to use the bottom of the touchscreen.
And yet, that's all we have now? Something went wrong.

Quote:

The thing is, if you want a modern computer (with either Windows or mainline Linux) that fits in your pocket, there aren't any other options. I'd love it if a leading brand made something similar but they aren't.
Repeating myself: something went wrong. Why isn't this sector seen as more viable than just some curiosity for some Chinese startup that really doesn't have the capability of delivering something solid?

Quote:

At the end of the day, there are many happy users of these devices, despite their quirks.
Honestly glad to hear it. But I cannot say that I'll ever purchase a potentially dead on arrival device from a company that I can't even find via a well-crafted Google search.

Here's to hoping. Maybe somebody will decide that freedom is worth it again and produce a solid device. I will buy two.

Ken-Young 2018-10-23 03:44

In all, I had five n900s at one time or another (I'm down to two). I never had a USB problem.

gerbick 2018-10-23 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1549591)
In all, I had five n900s at one time or another (I'm down to two). I never had a USB problem.

I had three, two out of three had USB problems. I did the entire (yet unnecessary on any other device I own) shave down the USB prongs, treated it with gentle respect, so forth.

Different strokes for different folks. I got the **** end of the stick it seems. I will not discount those that had no problems nor had problems whatsoever.

endsormeans 2018-10-23 04:02

out of the 8 n900's I have owned...
5 of which I still own ...having given or sold the other 3...
Only 1 ever had the infamous usb port issue...
AND...
I bought it with the full knowledge....in advance...that it had that issue...
I wanted it as a parts device...in case I ever needed it.
It was cheap ...so it made sense.

I have never actually bought an n900 and "had" the problem occur.
I guess I lucked out.

Of course I learned from the mistake of others...
and I have put little stress on any of the ports on any of my n900s ...
other than to data transfer ...
rarely have I used it for charging...
I use an external universal for that.
Also I filed down all the hooks on the n900 cables I had ..to ensure zero stress to he internal of the port.

So...perhaps not just lucky...

railroadmaster 2018-10-23 04:45

I am not really sure what is missing at this point as there are several brands providing devices with keyboards. Blackberry/TCL, Planet Computers Gemini, Dragonbox Pyra, Pocketchip, Topjoy Falcon, GPD, and One Mix.

Plus there are several devices with keyboard addons, singleboard computer cases and there is also the potential KS Phabtop and Graalphone concepts.

With the exception of blackberry most of those devices can be made to run some sort of linux.

Small devices with keyboards and small sized tablets/umpcs/mids are a niche market and ones that can run full linux or full windows are a niche within a niche. The physical keyboard and the umpc almost vanished but they made a great comeback. The fact that are so many options is really quite astonishing. Honestly I would just go with the Top Joy, One Mix 2 or Gemini and stop being so picky.

theonelaw 2018-10-23 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1549577)

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-7y54

might give the effort some real value,
...if it can run Debian

pichlo 2018-10-23 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1549585)
I have to ask; do any of these brands really mean anything to you guys?

Do they have to? Was it not you bemoaning folks no longer being adventurous in the other thread?

Quote:

At least when Nokia was doing it, you knew it was going to be quality.
Some folks, including yours truly, avoided Nokia when it was big exactly because it was big. It was the Microsoft of the mobile world. I may have missed on the Nxx0 series in the early days but... I could never have been able to afford them anyway.

On the other hand, I decided to be adventurous and go for a little known brand called Palm. I never regretted it. I used the same device for 9 years. The best UX of all time, unrivaled by anything to this day. No awkwardly placed keys (right, wicket? ;)), every UX element thought through to the last detail and for maximum efficiency. Why does no one learn? There is an existing example of how things can be done well yet everyone keeps reinventing the wheel. Badly.

railroadmaster 2018-10-23 06:56

Nokia is to cellphones what commodore is to computers. They made cellphones and smartphones affordable to the average person and easy to use. They dominated with symbian and s40/s30 and innovated with maemo/meego. But their products became dated and they lost sight of what made them successful to begin with. They had a reasonable upgrade path with meego and abandoned it.

Nokia was overtaken by the Samsungs, HTCs, Lgs and Motorolas of the world similar to how Commodore and atari failed to compete with IBM clone makers.

The Nokia of old ain't returning.

sulu 2018-10-23 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1549595)
I am not really sure what is missing at this point as there are several brands providing devices with keyboards. Blackberry/TCL, Planet Computers Gemini, Dragonbox Pyra, Pocketchip, Topjoy Falcon, GPD, and One Mix.

The Pyra isn't out yet.
All the others are either bundled with Windows or don't run a mainline Linux kernel, so are no option for someone who actually cares about FLOSS.
(Edit: Or they aren't actually "pocketable", despite their name.)

btw:
Has someone (with the actual skills) thought about creating a TOHKBD for the Librem 5? Purism certainly isn't [1], which is my main reason for not actually considering this otherwise interesting device.

[1] https://forums.puri.sm/t/how-about-a...the-phone/1790

railroadmaster 2018-10-23 07:11

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/there...t-devices.html

The Windows devices can run Linux distros.

sulu 2018-10-23 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1549604)

Nevertheless, the Pocket 2 comes bundled with Windows. It also doesn't have a trackpoint anymore, and is still missing keyboard backlight.
The Pocket 1 has no SD reader and only one USB port - compromises I'm not willing to take on a device that is basically a netbook.

Then these devices have no easily exchangable batteries and can't phone. I'd be willing to compromise here, but only if the rest would fit, which it doesn't.

mscion 2018-10-23 08:29

Still wish I could have a N950 with updated specs. Most beautiful designed phone ever.

sulu 2018-10-23 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1549608)
Still wish I could have a N950 with updated specs. Most beautiful designed phone ever.

I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.

Also, the keyboard looks like a chance not taken. My main complaint about the N900's keyboard has always been, how cramped it is. I would have really liked it to have one or two more rows, to make the keys a bit bigger (or to add space between them) and to have dedicated numbers keys.
The N950 adds a fourth row and space between the keys, but because it only has 11 keys per row (N900: 13), there is still not enough room for dedicated numbers keys.

Apart from the keyboard I still believe, the N900 is the pinnacle of smartphone hardware. It's just gotten old.
Fix the keyboard, put in half-decent modern hardware that runs on mainline Linux and I'll immediately buy it for 1k Euros!

wicket 2018-10-23 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1549604)

More options! 8" Topjoy Falcon. More info here:

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/first...ni-laptop.html

gerbick 2018-10-23 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1549599)
Do they have to? Was it not you bemoaning folks no longer being adventurous in the other thread?

Do you have any money to waste? Time to waste?

Last I checked, you're the person that has constantly stated that you will never buy anything brand new. How does this affect you unless it lands in the Sell threads here or on eBay months/years after its release?

Adventurous means the established manufacturers. Not a purchase at my expense from some neophyte company that haphazardly put something together.

It should not be adventurous for the buyer and unknown manufacturers is an adventure I will never go down unless they have tons of promise and a clear communication into their processes to replace the missing history of deliverables.

Simply stated: I will not suffer a broken device because it "looked cool" in 2018 by an unknown manufacturer. Feel free to vote with your money.

Quote:

Some folks, including yours truly, avoided Nokia when it was big exactly because it was big.
You purchased when it got cheap. You've stated as much in the past.

Quote:

It was the Microsoft of the mobile world. I may have missed on the Nxx0 series in the early days but... I could never have been able to afford them anyway.
Exactly my point about your input thus far.

Quote:

On the other hand, I decided to be adventurous and go for a little known brand called Palm. I never regretted it. I used the same device for 9 years. The best UX of all time, unrivaled by anything to this day. No awkwardly placed keys (right, wicket? ;)), every UX element thought through to the last detail and for maximum efficiency. Why does no one learn? There is an existing example of how things can be done well yet everyone keeps reinventing the wheel. Badly.
Palm was quite known in the US - I'm assuming you were not aware of how deeply entrenched Palm was during the time of the Treo 650 and forward.

Psion was a relative unknown in the US, yet I was an owner. Why? Because it was a quality device and they were very easy to work with, inquiries about service and warranty service were always replied to in a timely manner. They fulfilled the one thing that

Not sure what your point was attempting other than being contrarian to be honest. No device that's been released lately came from a major manufacturer. Pyra, GPD, so forth...

pichlo 2018-10-23 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1549619)
Last I checked, you're the person that has constantly stated that you will never buy anything brand new.

Minor correction, never (again) buy anything crowdfunded. I burned my fingers too many times. As far as I remember, you stated the same.

Also, define "new". I am not in the position to buy something as soon as it comes out but after three months, when the price goes down a bit... and I find a use for it, rather than buying it just for the novelty factor... who knows?

gerbick 2018-10-23 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1549621)
Minor correction, never (again) buy anything crowdfunded. I burned my fingers too many times. As far as I remember, you stated the same.

Also, define "new". I am not in the position to buy something as soon as it comes out but after three months, when the price goes down a bit... and I find a use for it, rather than buying it just for the novelty factor... who knows?

Kudos. Buying something like that goes against your constant banter that you'll not buy something new. Nothing against that sentiment, in fact I find wisdom in it.

But nothing so far has really shown me that it's worth it as of late. And nothing we want seems to be on their radar. Just the garage projects.

I am not here for that any longer.

And no. I will not define the word or the overly semantic view of "new". That's bollocks. You know what it means. Or you do not. You've used that word, so approach it as you meant it in the past. It's not a hard word to grasp.

Ken-Young 2018-10-23 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1549611)
I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.[...]

I've got an n950, and it really is very, very nice. Much more solid feeling than the n900, because of the aluminum case. It feels as good as any 2018 flagship phone that I've touched.

I can barely stand to look at it though, because of the thoughts of what might have been.

endsormeans 2018-10-23 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1549611)
I'm not sure about that.
I mean, yes, it looks nice, but although I've never seen one in real life I always believed, that the tilting display would be rather impractical. When I hold my N900 it's actually a good thing, that there's no angle between display and keyboard.

Also, the keyboard looks like a chance not taken. My main complaint about the N900's keyboard has always been, how cramped it is. I would have really liked it to have one or two more rows, to make the keys a bit bigger (or to add space between them) and to have dedicated numbers keys.
The N950 adds a fourth row and space between the keys, but because it only has 11 keys per row (N900: 13), there is still not enough room for dedicated numbers keys.

Apart from the keyboard I still believe, the N900 is the pinnacle of smartphone hardware. It's just gotten old.
Fix the keyboard, put in half-decent modern hardware that runs on mainline Linux and I'll immediately buy it for 1k Euros!

A few more bucks and you can have an almost obsolete variant...
straight off the neo assembly line when they start production...
any day now
:rolleyes:

sulu 2018-10-24 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1549633)
I've got an n950, and it really is very, very nice. Much more solid feeling than the n900, because of the aluminum case. It feels as good as any 2018 flagship phone that I've touched.

I think I remember having read similar things about the quality of the N950.
But I also remember having read about problems with the hinge, like it being too stiff or too loose. Can you confirm that?

And what about my comment on the tilting display? Do you think it's a good or a bad thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1549633)
I can barely stand to look at it though, because of the thoughts of what might have been.

I always get that feeling when listening to "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1549636)
A few more bucks and you can have an almost obsolete variant...
straight off the neo assembly line when they start production...
any day now
:rolleyes:

You know what? I'd still buy it!
The Neo900 certainly would not fit my definition of "half-decent modern hardware" and quite frankly any more than 1k Euros would push my pain threshold pretty hard, but I still think the attempt alone deserves to be honored and the device would make for a pretty nice "curiosity of computer history" one day.

endsormeans 2018-10-24 09:22

Yup....
But...
Doubtful that the neo will enjoy retirement in anyones desk drawer ..

But for the small fact the neo died before the finish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UG60dU...ature=youtu.be

Actually
I understand that there is much said concerning dubious / hopeful / in progress... linux os based handheld device available...or soon to be (questionable in some cases) ...their support and build quality...

On the other end of the same stick...
I am shortly (once I have a moment) to do the latest update of ubuntu touch on one of my nexus 5 ...
The latest being OTA number 5
The UT team has been dealing with their issues fast and furious.
And doing quite well at it too I might add.
Containers are simple to do now.
The other issues rapidly tackled and more and more I can call it a good option for a daily os...
Of course the battery consumption for the nexus 5 is still an issue.
But ...newer devices are on their menu and in their crosshairs ...

In fact ...once I have the latest ota 5 done...
I am considering trying jack rack, calf, or rakarrack on one of my spare nexus 5s.

Ken-Young 2018-10-24 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1549642)
I think I remember having read similar things about the quality of the N950.
But I also remember having read about problems with the hinge, like it being too stiff or too loose. Can you confirm that?

And what about my comment on the tilting display? Do you think it's a good or a bad thing?

I always get that feeling when listening to "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions. ;)

You know what? I'd still buy it!
The Neo900 certainly would not fit my definition of "half-decent modern hardware" and quite frankly any more than 1k Euros would push my pain threshold pretty hard, but I still think the attempt alone deserves to be honored and the device would make for a pretty nice "curiosity of computer history" one day.

The hinge feels fine, but I'd have to admit that I have not used it enough to verify durability. I like the tilting display.

I had not realized until recently that the neo900.org home page has a timeline at the bottom. I have taken the liberty of updating it here: https://imgur.com/a/b9Optj3

endsormeans 2018-10-24 16:21

Man...
I am taking that to work and making it a full wall poster.

That had me laughing until my sides hurt...

hhbbap 2018-10-24 17:29

I do not know what the best device for 2020 will be, but hope we have something real stunning.
Raspberry Pi phone?
Finally a Nokia phone with Intel processor arriving a bit late?
Strange mix of Roman and Greek numbers BTW, should it not been MMXX?
:confused:

peterleinchen 2018-10-24 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1549654)
The hinge feels fine, but I'd have to admit that I have not used it enough to verify durability. I like the tilting display.

Yes, hinge is high quality. Even on N97 (a nightmare SW- and speed-wise) the hinge and build quality (I know we all had that GPS antenna problem!) was very stable and reliable.
I am not sure if I like the one on N900 (straight) or on N950 (tilting) better. After having used N900 after N97 I'd say I perferred the straight one using in hands. But on desk the tilted makes more sense. So 50/50.

Quote:

I had not realized until recently that the neo900.org home page has a timeline at the bottom. I have taken the liberty of updating it here: https://imgur.com/a/b9Optj3
THANKS for that one :D
Maybe neo900 team can handle this and put it on their web site?

sulu 2018-10-24 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1549654)

I'm still counting on vacuum fluctuations to either reboot the universe or to spontaneously materialize a Neo900 on my desk.

wicket 2019-02-16 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1549588)
I look at these Chinese devices and I see design issues. The keyboards have awkwardly placed keys. The placement of the hinge on the GPD Pocket (1 and 2) makes it awkward to use the bottom of the touchscreen.

In case you missed it, GPD have addressed both of these issues in the forthcoming GPD MicroPC. I'd normally be weary about linking to a crowd funding campaign knowing how many people here have been stung, but GPD have a decent track record, so here it is:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...lest-mini-pc#/

GPD are coming very close to producing a device I might actually buy. It's a shame this one only has 4GB. It's really tempting at only $299 but I kind of see it as just another toy. If it had 8GB I'd be able to justify purchasing it as a replacement for my laptop.

endsormeans 2019-02-16 16:07

now that ....even with 4gb ram and running mate...is perfect to take to work.
I have been on the lookout for a umpc that was compact enough and running somethinglinux ...for a while now....

it is indeed tempting.

ajalkane 2019-02-16 16:32

After receiving my new phone the best handheld gnu/linux machine for 2019 seems to be Sony Xperia XA2 Plus with Sailfish X.

- linux/gnu base - check
- Terminal - check
- Easy to setup ssh access - check
- Full control of the device - check
- 2 sim cards, SDCard option, enough memory (6GB) - check
- Everything on the device open source - does not pass

Negatives:
- This is par-course for Linux devices so I'm not sure if it warrants mentioning, but it is of course half-baked and expect some things not to work. As always with linux based machines, do your homework to find out if something essential to you is not working.
- It's a bit big. I have to use it a bit longer until I arrive at final conclusion. Usually I like more compact handhelds, but even though I was shocked at the size at first, it hasn't been hindrance so far. Quite the contrary considering I got to replace two devices now that I can fit 2 sim cards in it.

pichlo 2019-02-16 18:47

That GPD thing... RJ45, RS232, 4 USB (3 real + 1 C)... tempting indeed!

sulu 2019-02-17 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1554063)
In case you missed it, GPD have addressed both of these issues in the forthcoming GPD MicroPC.

This is what I wrote about the GPD Pocket 2 in comparison to version 1:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1545047)
+ µSD
+ 2nd USB A port

o still no exchangable storage (M.2?)
o still no keyboard backlight
o not sure about the new keyboard layout

- no more trackpoint :eek: (I'll wait for version 3 then)
- no more dedicated HDMI (not much of a problem, but seeing how much empty space is wasted on the right edge to make it look thin, including an HDMI port and a bunch of other ports would have been a piece of cake)
- fan outlet looks pointless (it's blowing right against the display hinge)

Someone at GPD seems to read my posts here, because this new device checks all my boxes*! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1554063)
GPD are coming very close to producing a device I might actually buy. It's a shame this one only has 4GB. It's really tempting at only $299 but I kind of see it as just another toy. If it had 8GB I'd be able to justify purchasing it as a replacement for my laptop.

Of course 8GB would be better than 4, but I see myself buying this as a replacement for my EEE 901, which I had to retire, because it just can't keep up anymore.
My main notebook these days is a 12" subnotebook from 2007 that is maxed out at 3GB RAM, which is at the lower end of what I need. 12" is just too big in some situations.

Edit: My only nitpick would be that, since it doesn't have a touchscreen (which I'm fine with), I would have preferred a matte screen.

*) I'm fine with a trackpoint or a touchpad, and this one looks decently sized for the device.