maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   xmarks (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34831)

jsuggs 2009-11-20 16:00

xmarks

Can anyone confirm if the browser support xmarks?
http://www.xmarks.com/

sjgadsby 2009-11-20 16:15

Re: xmarks

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsuggs (Post 384130)
Can anyone confirm if the browser support xmarks?

Well, it installs, and the "Preference" button for it opens a new window, but that window is blank. It's not an add-on I've used before, so I couldn't tell if it was doing any of what it's supposed to do.

robbie 2009-11-20 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 384156)
Well, it installs, and the "Preference" button for it opens a new window, but that window is blank. It's not an add-on I've used before, so I couldn't tell if it was doing any of what it's supposed to do.

It's a plugin that lets you sync your bookmarks with a (their or your own) server so that you always have the same bookmarks on multiple machines.

And you need to enter account details. So it won't work.

Maybe Weave will..

dtrouton 2009-11-20 16:23

I've read reports of weave working. If thats the case you could have weave and xmarks installed on one browser and sync using that (unless you don't use a firefox browser anywhere else)

sjgadsby 2009-11-20 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 384162)
It's a plugin that lets you sync your bookmarks with a (their or your own) server so that you always have the same bookmarks on multiple machines.

Thanks! The web site seemed to indicate that, but like most product websites these days, the feel good fluff outweighed the actual details to such a large degree it was difficult to be sure what all I should expect.

Quote:

And you need to enter account details.
zerojay and qole have had some success installing Firefox plug-ins in the Maemo 5 browser and avoiding the configuration problem by copying working configurations from other machines. That might work in this case also.

MountainX 2009-11-20 16:40

Xmarks is a "must have" plugin for me on my desktop and laptop machines. I will try it out when my N900 arrives. (That may be end of December according to Dell.) I hope Xmarks works. If it doesn't, there is a good chance we can encourage the developer to fix any issues.

Maybe someone with an N900 now can report the exact problem to the Xmarks forums/support.

Weave is also an option, of course. But I will try Xmarks on the N900 first, as soon as I get mine.

robbie 2009-11-20 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 384171)
zerojay and qole have had some success installing Firefox plug-ins in the Maemo 5 browser and avoiding the configuration problem by copying working configurations from other machines. That might work in this case also.

That might work indeed.

The question is if you really want your desktop bookmarks on your N900 or that you want special ones for mobile use..

MountainX 2009-11-20 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 384184)
That might work indeed.

The question is if you really want your desktop bookmarks on your N900 or that you want special ones for mobile use..

On my N810, I use mostly the same bookmarks except for Gmail...

joppu 2009-11-20 16:47

Xmarks is sh*tty anyway, since they collect your bookmarks data for data mining. And manipulates your Google results by default. Just use Mozilla's own Weave, it does the same thing, better.

MountainX 2009-11-20 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by joppu (Post 384191)
Xmarks is sh*tty anyway, since they collect your bookmarks data for data mining. Just use Mozilla's own Weave.

Does Weave have all the features of Xmarks? Last time I tried Weave, it didn't even work properly (but that was a while back).

Xmarks works pretty well for me. No complaints.