maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   BackTrack 5 (arm) released (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72933)

fatcobrah 2011-05-10 17:52

BackTrack 5 (arm) released

Finally BackTrack 5 released and here is the link to download
backtrack

Size: 1GB
Flavor: GNOME
Arch: arm
Image: IMG
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/xoom/photo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/wkmk34.jpg

special thx to SuperDumb for the N900 pics

http://blog.l-lacker.com/wp-content/...5/IMG_7595.jpg
Backtrack 5 on Galaxy S

HOW TO RUN BACKTRACK 5 ON THE N900

Instructions :

(Be sure you have rootsh & easy-chroot)

Put the bt5.img anywhere (eg: /home/user/Mydocs/bt5 )
you can download the image here
open Terminal
Code:

sudo gainroot
 mkdir /mnt/bt5
 qchroot /home/user/MyDocs/bt5/bt5.img /mnt/bt5/
 export USER=root
 vncpasswd (Needs to be done once for setting up a password)
 vncserver -geometry 800x470
 startvnc

Now go back to open VNC and leave terminal open in background
In VNC use this settings :
The adress is 127.0.0.1:590x
x Is the number you see when you typed "startvnc" inside BT5. You will see something like this :
"Log file is /home/user/.vnc/Nokia-N900:x.log"
Mine was "Log file is /home/user/.vnc/Nokia-N900:1.log", so i have 127.0.0.1:5901
Enter password you choosed before, log in have fun.
When done and VNC is closed, do this to shutdown BT5:
Go back to opend terminal
Code:

stopvnc
 exit
 qumount /mnt/bt5
 exit

Credits Goes to Superdump For his amazing job :D

aathava 2011-05-10 18:02

Re: BackTrack 5 (arm) released

How to run it in chroot

fatcobrah 2011-05-10 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by aathava (Post 1003570)
How to run it in chroot

i don't know :( and i really need to know :P

Mentalist Traceur 2011-05-10 18:32

People who need to know something learn it. Only those really screwed by circumstances can need something and not find a way to get to it. If you can post talk.maemo.org and download this image, you realistically must have the resources to figure out how to use it.

Capt'n Corrupt 2011-05-10 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur (Post 1003584)
People who need to know something learn it. Only those really screwed by circumstances can need something and not find a way to get to it. If you can post talk.maemo.org and download this image, you realistically must have the resources to figure out how to use it.

Some people need a little help. It's ok to ask or to admit that you don't know something.

fatcobrah 2011-05-10 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 1003606)
Some people need a little help. It's ok to ask or to admit that you don't know something.

100% true
i think that's why programmers exist

Mentalist Traceur 2011-05-10 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 1003606)

Asking is fine, though less so when the information is easily searchable (but in this case it's not something easy to search unless you already know what to look for, so I didn't count that against him either). Admitting you don't know is also fine.

My problem was with the "need" notion.

mr_pingu 2011-05-10 19:38

Would love to run this on my n900 but I lack the knowledge to do it on my own sow I really need a guide. Which is not available, though not strange at all at the date of release.
Hope someone will manage to run this on his n900 and is willing to tell me :D

sr00t 2011-05-10 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcobrah (Post 1003566)
finally backtrack5 released and here is the link to download
backtrack

Size: 1GB
Flavor: GNOME
Arch: arm
Image: IMG

If this means we'll have native backtrack working on N900, I'll only say "F*ck Yeah :D!!!!!!!!"

-Tyler- 2011-05-10 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr00t (Post 1003653)
If this means we'll have native backtrack working on N900, I'll only say "F*ck Yeah :D!!!!!!!!"

Yeah this is like a ****ing dream come true :D

misiak 2011-05-10 20:54

I'm downloading the image now, will try to run it in chroot first and then maybe boot with multiboot. Generally you can try yourself by downloading image and extracting it to your N900 and following instructions from http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=51 modyfing them accordingly... I guess the biggest difference will be changing in one of the first commands "mkdir -p /mnt/ubuntu && mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /mnt/ubuntu" to "mkdir -p /mnt/backtrack && mount /path/to/extracted/image/backtrack/file /mnt/backtrack" and changing path "/mnt/ubuntu" to "/mnt/backtrack" everywhere... but it's just my guess at the moment, I'm still waiting for the image to download ;)

Edit: README file says it was developed for Motorola Xoom and has its default screen resolution and there are instructions for installing on Xoom into chroot... ok, trying to run it on N900 anyway, please wait :P

misiak 2011-05-10 21:14

Well, impossible to copy the file, it is too big (~5gb) and windows complained that the size of file is above file system limitation. Don't have a spare >4GB memory card at the moment, so I won't do anything more with it. (But if anyone is up to it, you can writing bt5.img file to newly created partition on sd card and proceed further)

mr_pingu 2011-05-10 21:18

Is you memory card formatted in FAT32? FAT32 doesnt support files greater than 4GB, format it in NTFS to support files bigger than 4GB ;)

misiak 2011-05-10 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1003713)
Is you memory card formatted in FAT32? FAT32 doesnt support files greater than 4GB, format it in NTFS to support files bigger than 4GB ;)

Yeah I know. My internal memory is formatted as FAT (it was formatted that way by Nokia). All my memory cards have less than 2GB of free space now and I won't have more time untill weekend to play with this... But i plan to wipe my 8Gb card on the weekend, format it as ext3 and extract there the contents of bt5.img file. Will let you know the result when I find time to do that ;)

fatcobrah 2011-05-10 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by misiak (Post 1003710)
Well, impossible to copy the file, it is too big (~5gb) and windows complained that the size of file is above file system limitation. Don't have a spare >4GB memory card at the moment, so I won't do anything more with it. (But if anyone is up to it, you can writing bt5.img file to newly created partition on sd card and proceed further)

why dont u try the mass storage ?

misiak 2011-05-10 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcobrah (Post 1003715)
why dont u try the mass storage ?

Because I don't feel like repartitioning my mass storage, I feel ok with it being ~30GB ;) Or maybe I understood you wrong and you meant something else?

fatcobrah 2011-05-10 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by misiak (Post 1003719)
Because I don't feel like repartitioning my mass storage, I feel ok with it being ~30GB ;) Or maybe I understood you wrong and you meant something else?

it's ok
i mean to mount bt5.img as the same way used in nitdroid (eMMC)
and use multiboot with it :)

mr_pingu 2011-05-10 21:37

I can wait :)

Why format mass, its good the way it is by default 28GB of FAT which can be read from every pc. Let the removable memory do the dirty jobs as they can be removed.

Let me find a 8GB card also, althoug I dont come as far you would come. Hope I can find some card :P

misiak 2011-05-10 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcobrah (Post 1003723)
it's ok

I will try to do it the same way ;) But my NITDroid is also on my external card. I really don't feel like repartitioning internal eMMC memory... If I succeed, I will write detailed step by step instruction on how to do it with memory card and be used with multiboot and point what you should change to install it on eMMC. But I will not test it on eMMC myself ;)

karam 2011-05-10 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcobrah (Post 1003723)
it's ok

it is not possible to mount it like nitdroid cause nitdroid is mounted to the mmcblk0p2
(optfs) nitdroid is not more than 100 mb so that is fine but bt5.img is 5gb so it is only possible with >4gb sd card or hexing the emmc.bin bafore flashing n900 to make the optfs from 2gb(default) till 9gb>(anysize) or repartitioning the mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) and this is pretty dangerous but i have tried it before and no problems

misiak 2011-05-10 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1003725)
I can wait :)

Why format mass, its good the way it is by default 28GB of FAT which can be read from every pc. Let the removable memory do the dirty jobs as they can be removed.

Let me find a 8GB card also, althoug I dont come as far you would come. Hope I can find some card :P

Do you have a Linux desktop? I'm afraid it will be needed to repartition the sd card and write the image to it...

Edit: or not :P I have an idea, but it needs to wait at least till tommorow

mr_pingu 2011-05-10 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by misiak (Post 1003742)
Do you have a Linux desktop? I'm afraid it will be needed to repartition the sd card and write the image to it...

Not yet :P N900 introduced me to linux and I liked it but last time I tried to install ubuntu (dualboot) the installer crashed lol. I don't feel to format my HDD en start with linux only, also I tried the new unity livecd but it lags too much. So need to find a 10.10 image and make my usb bootable again and try again :P Or if you have any other suggestion for a other distro ur welcome. Remember I am quite a beginner but I can learn really fast( some gift from heaven) and want to have a customizable distro :D

sr00t 2011-05-10 23:06

Please, everyone who is trying to boot it, update in this thread the progress of it.
I find it REALLY important to take it as a new project like NITDroid. Making Backtrack 5 usable with customized drivers for N900 chipsets would be a milestone for this NIT model.

mr_pingu 2011-05-11 05:03

I dont get it why they release it for the xoom without custom drivers. N900 is already capable of packet injection and then the take the xoom:
http://www.offensive-security.com/ba...motorola-xoom/

read that, they only can run it at chroot yet and dont use custom drivers. Also I heard ubuntu had drivers for ARM and PowerVR SGX, so it could be possible to use these drivers for BT5 too.
Shouldn't we contact the BT team to tell that the n900 is a nice target too :P

kingoddball 2011-05-11 05:14

Will this even work if it's compiled and designed for the xoom?

Our tools are just fine anyway :D Port the tools we don't have :)
Just make Maemo into the ultimate hacking OS by porting all the tools we need :D love live Maemo!

(Although I will download and try boot. Looks nice!)

mr_pingu 2011-05-11 05:21

That will do it for me also :P We already have the important ones like aircrack-ng, kismet, wireshark, nmap. But technically it should also be possible to run that image in a chroot and use the n900 drivers. load injection driver and then load the chroot, what about that?

sudarsan_avs 2011-05-11 05:40

I am new to backtrack, can any one pls tell me the key features / applications which can use on n900 if we install it... bcos spending 5GB of space should be of good use, will this OS detect Wifi / 3G?

Thanks in advance!!!

fatcobrah 2011-05-11 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by misiak (Post 1003737)
I will try to do it the same way ;) But my NITDroid is also on my external card. I really don't feel like repartitioning internal eMMC memory... If I succeed, I will write detailed step by step instruction on how to do it with memory card and be used with multiboot and point what you should change to install it on eMMC. But I will not test it on eMMC myself ;)

karam said that it's impossible to mount it bcoz of it's size so try it on ur MicroSD :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karam (Post 1003741)
it is not possible to mount it like nitdroid cause nitdroid is mounted to the mmcblk0p2
(optfs) nitdroid is not more than 100 mb so that is fine but bt5.img is 5gb so it is only possible with >4gb sd card or hexing the emmc.bin bafore flashing n900 to make the optfs from 2gb(default) till 9gb>(anysize) or repartitioning the mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) and this is pretty dangerous but i have tried it before and no problems

if i use the script which gives me all of the internal memory http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=768794&postcount=1
i think this way will let me mount it from eMMC right?

mr_pingu 2011-05-11 05:48

Its a penetration testing OS which includes all security related tools like aircrack-ng and zenmap, wireshark. You can also say its a hacking os, but pentesting sounds better :D

If you will manage to boot or chroot it we would be really happy;)

fatcobrah 2011-05-11 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1003889)
I dont get it why they release it for the xoom without custom drivers.
Shouldn't we contact the BT team to tell that the n900 is a nice target too :P

dont wast ur time ! they wont listen to u
they want bt5 to run on the xoom
as they said:
"we have got a modified version of an Ubuntu 10.04 ARM image, chrooted on a Motorola Xoom. The tablet is running a modified, overclockable kernel (from 1.0 to 1.5 GHz) "

so does bt5 need at least 1.5 GHz to be stable ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 1003893)
Will this even work if it's compiled and designed for the xoom?

Our tools are just fine anyway :D Port the tools we don't have :)
Just make Maemo into the ultimate hacking OS by porting all the tools we need :D love live Maemo!

(Although I will download and try boot. Looks nice!)

nice but it's amazing to see the full image working on the n900 :D

kingoddball 2011-05-11 05:54

it's not working though.... is it??
build for xoom?

fatcobrah 2011-05-11 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 1003910)
it's not working though.... is it??
build for xoom?

never tested ! hehe

"A basic ARM BackTrack image which can be chrooted into from android enabled devices" this what they've said

LTman 2011-05-11 07:14

Has anybody got this working yet
I would try this if i had an 8gb sd card i am pretty sure that "!booting" it would be easy its getting it work properly that is the problem
Has anybody tried chrooting into it
P.S move this thread to alternatives since it is a possible alternative os for the n900 not a competitor

fatcobrah 2011-05-11 08:04

The Readme file:

BackTrack 5 ARM Edition Quick Start

This image has been developed and tested on the Motorola Xoom. Your mileage may vary on other devices.
As this image runs in a chroot, you will need to have your device rooted. There are numerous tutorials on the subject online and are not included here.

***Rooting your device will potentially void its warranty and we are not in any way resposible if you brick your device while rooting it.

### IMPORTANT POINTS ###

1. Since the image runs in a chroot, there is no root password set.

2. There are 2 scripts under /usr/bin/ 'startvnc' and 'stopvnc' that are set to start with the Xoom's default resolution.

3. The current vnc password is set to 'toortoor' and can be changed by running 'vncpasswd'

4. This image is a work in progress and suggestions/tips from the community are always welcome.

### GETTING STARTED ###

1. Once you have downloaded the ARM BT package, save the files in a convenient location. The steps below assume they are in the platform-tools folder of the Android SDK.

2. Go to your platform-tools directory and proceed to make a directory on the device to store BT5:
./adb shell
mkdir /sdcard/BT5
exit

3. Copy over the busybox install files:
./adb push busybox /sdcard/
./adb push installbusybox.sh /sdcard

4. Install busybox on the device:
./adb shell
cd /sdcard/
sh installbusybox.sh
exit

5. Transfer the required BT5 files to the device:
./adb push fsrw /sdcard/BT5/
./adb push mountonly /sdcard/BT5/
./adb push bootbt /sdcard/BT5/
./adb push bt5.img.gz /sdcard/BT5/
./adb push unionfs /sdcard/BT5/

6. Uncompress the image and start BT5:
./adb shell
su
cd /sdcard/BT5
gunzip bt5.img.gz
sh bootbt

If all goes well, you'll be in the BT5 chroot:

# sh bootbt
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
root@localhost:/# ls /pentest/
backdoors database exploits passwords scanners stressing voip
cisco enumeration forensics python sniffers tunneling web
root@localhost:/#

mr_pingu 2011-05-11 08:24

so that means we need to run it in chroot instead of booting. Becuz we need the kernel of the device, or didn't I understand it right?

fatcobrah 2011-05-11 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1003974)
so that means we need to run it in chroot instead of booting. Becuz we need the kernel of the device, or didn't I understand it right?

ya i think so we need to run it in chroot
but is this limitid to android phones?

ivyking 2011-05-11 09:06

It runs on chroot just fine , however some one has to do the work to get it to work like easy debian .

if you just want a basic chroot :

extract the image on your pc .

use dd to get the image onto a partition on your sdcard ,

then check that partition for errors and resize the file system to fit the partition .

disconnect your n900 from pc and reboot if you have repartitioned the sdcard .

then mkdir mnt/bt5 and then mount /dev/mmcblk1pX /mnt/bt5
chroot /mnt/bt5

thats all .

kingoddball 2011-05-11 09:27

We need Qole! :)

mno@8 2011-05-11 09:51

Running BAT 5 on the N900 is quite nice. I really would like to do that: BT 5 is much more than wireless cracking.
However, I do believe that the N900 is not right device to do a full penetration exercise.

karam 2011-05-11 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcobrah (Post 1003905)
karam said that it's impossible to mount it bcoz of it's size so try it on ur MicroSD :)

if i use the script which gives me all of the internal memory http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=768794&postcount=1
i think this way will let me mount it from eMMC right?

well that is correct it will work but believe you don't wanna have all the internal memory

the best way is to backup your rootfs and optfs with backupmenu application
then hex the emmc.bin (vannial defaul) and reflash your n900 with the hexed emmc then restore you backup

btw to hex the emmc open the emmc.bin file with any hex editor and search for string partition you will see a bit below numbers :
2048 change them for ex : 8192 to have 8 gb optfs so MyDocs will be 22 gb after the reflash

and to restore backup with backupmenu (if you don't know) you will see 3 options 1:restore rootfs 2:restore rootf and optfs 3:restore optfs
it is recomended by me to restore the optfs then the rootfs and not restoring them together
cause restoring them together has made a f**ken problem to me
i had to reflash my n900 to a previos firmware then to the newst firrmware :) strange problem