maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   N900 Questions for Nokia World Attendees (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31150)

lemmyslender 2009-08-31 13:41

N900 Questions for Nokia World Attendees

I haven't seen a thread with just questions for the folks that will get to play with the N900 very soon. Thought it might be nice to consolidate a list for them. If they are nice enough to try to answer any questions we have, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

If any of my questions have been answered before, I apologize in advance, it's hard to keep up on so many threads about the N900.

1) Is it possible to disable/turn off the cellular radio without disabling wifi/bluetooth?

2) Is there connectivity preferences, ie choose wifi over cellular to keep data costs down?

3) Is it possible to disable transitions (eye candy)? I believe an app will be available to do this.

4) Is there a "Shared Folders" view in the File Manager like currently? I have read that there will not be.

5a) In non-Fremantalized apps running full screen, how do you switch back to non-full screen mode, like fbreader? From the video it looks like a keyboard combination?

5b) How do you pull up a menu?

5c) How do you switch tasks, or close the app?

Thanks in advance.

GeneralAntilles 2009-08-31 14:12

Re: N900 Questions for Nokia World Attendees

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 318828)
3) Is it possible to disable transitions (eye candy)? I believe an app will be available to do this.

konttori has recently released an application to do this.

Quote:

5b) How do you pull up a menu?

Tap the title bar.

As for the other questions, I suspect you may have missed Jussi and Quim's little demo video. I recommend watching it.

krisse 2009-08-31 14:18

Quote:

1) Is it possible to disable/turn off the cellular radio without disabling wifi/bluetooth?

Yes, in fact this method works on all Nokia phones: take out the SIM card.

(Note. you can still use the cellular network for emergency calls even without a SIM card.)

EDIT: Many Nokia phone models also let you do this without removing the SIM card by going into Offline mode (which turns off everything radio related) and then manually confirming when asked that you wish to use a BT or Wi-Fi connection.

TheBootroo 2009-08-31 14:47

if i plug the usb cable in my pc , can i see the content of internal memory (ALL the content) from my ubuntu like it was a usb pendrive ?

can we install a webkit based web browser (like arora or midori) instead of default gecko one ? (i think we can but im not sure)

can we use FM without pluging headset (internal antenn ?)

can we connect USB or bluetooth keyboard, gamepad and mouse ?

is memory card hot-pluggable ?

is there any system monitor to see in real time the ram, the cpu , etc ... ?

that's all for the moment ...

huuu, in fact another question : can i go with you to play with the n900 ????????

lemmyslender 2009-08-31 15:00

Thanks for the answers so far.

1) Disabling is fine. I'd like to know if it's possible to turn the power off on the cellular radio. If I'm not using it, no need to have it on at all. I'd guess that would have some impact on battery life.

5) In the case of fbreader, in fullscreen there is no title bar to click on (at least there had better not be, screen real estate is already at a premium). I assume that there will be a keyboard combo? I hope we wouldn't have to go to a windowed mode to access a menu, then back to fullscreen?

allnameswereout 2009-08-31 15:05

Quote:

2) Is there connectivity preferences, ie choose wifi over cellular to keep data costs down?

With third party software like Devicescape, which is ported to N8x0, this should work just like Devicescape works on other platforms like Windows, S60, iPhoneOS, ... If it sees a known WiFi network it will log you in automagically, even allowing you to use your login/passwd automagically. It doesn't supoort OTP though.

Quote:

4) Is there a "Shared Folders" view in the File Manager like currently? I have read that there will not be.
Seems like that. At least, official support. There are user-space smbfs implementations, but that depends on community.

The device supports UPnP (MAWF) which in some cases is a suitable alternative. There is presentations about this on Maemo Summit.

GeneralAntilles 2009-08-31 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 318882)
5) In the case of fbreader, in fullscreen there is no title bar to click on (at least there had better not be, screen real estate is already at a premium). I assume that there will be a keyboard combo? I hope we wouldn't have to go to a windowed mode to access a menu, then back to fullscreen?

It depends entirely on how the FBReader developers decide to do it.

krisse 2009-08-31 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 318882)
Thanks for the answers so far.

1) Disabling is fine. I'd like to know if it's possible to turn the power off on the cellular radio. If I'm not using it, no need to have it on at all. I'd guess that would have some impact on battery life.

Putting the phone into offline mode or removing the SIM card does turn the power off on the cellular radio.

But turning off the cellular radio won't actually affect battery life that much, all that a phone does in standby mode is occasionally send a signal to make the nearest cell aware it's connected. There's no permanent connection. The only time that the cellular radio really uses up the battery a lot is during calls or data access.

And on a device like the N900 with a relatively large 1300mAh battery the percentage of battery life you'd save from switching off the cellular radio is fairly small.

By the way, another option if you're just trying to reduce power is to switch to 2G (GSM) mode instead of 3G (WCDMA/UMTS). 2G modes usually have slightly longer standby times compared to 3G modes. The only disadvantages of 2G are the slower internet speeds and the inability to use the internet and call at the same time.

allnameswereout 2009-08-31 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBootroo (Post 318875)
if i plug the usb cable in my pc , can i see the content of internal memory (ALL the content) from my ubuntu like it was a usb pendrive ?

Yes, but I'm not sure about locking.

Quote:

can we install a webkit based web browser (like arora or midori) instead of default gecko one ? (i think we can but im not sure)
Yes but is not officially supported.
Quote:

can we connect USB or bluetooth keyboard, gamepad and mouse ?
Yes, as is supported by BlueZ stack.

Quote:

is memory card hot-pluggable ?
Don't know, normally commits aren't atomic and therefore must sync first.

Quote:

is there any system monitor to see in real time the ram, the cpu , etc ... ?
These 2 shots show about official support

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/.../scr/scr13.jpg

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/.../scr/scr14.jpg

From what I can see it is similar as in Maemo 4.

Third party this exists on Maemo 4 in form such as Conky or Applet. I'm sure this will be ported to Maemo 5.

krisse 2009-08-31 15:19

Quote:

I haven't used Maemo 5 but the latest Nokia S60 phones have a thing called Destinations where you can give it a list of priorities for how it should connect to the internet. By default it's set to try Wi-fi first, and if that isn't available it goes to 3G, but you can set it to whatever access points you want.

And the older versions of Maemo had a similar system of setting priorities where wi-fi was attempted and if it wasnt present it would try using your phone's connection via bluetooth, so Maemo 5 almost certainly has this feature.