maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23677)

tso 2008-09-17 13:54

Re: Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5

well, as long as there will be a N900 and a N900h(spa), its ok. but the presentation didnt exactly say that there would.

and the N810WE was a special order from sprint, no?

chlettn 2008-09-17 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 224595)
so if all one wants is a PDA, one should go out and buy a palm centro and forget that it has a mobile radio in there?

If you think this is the right thing for your needs, yeah, why not? And if you don't think so, there's always something else that fits better, so you go for that.

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-17 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 224596)
But it shouldn't. Think of it as another option. Right now you can choose N810 or N810WE. Soon you can add "NxxxHSPA" to that menu. ;)

Yes, but can I choose a plain old N900 without the damn HSDPA modem?

Texrat 2008-09-17 13:59

In one sense it doesn't matter what drove the creation of the N810WE-- you're not tied to using Sprint as a WiMAX provider if you buy one. At least, not by contracts...

And you guys shouldn't get so worked up over the specs of one device, anyway, given that this will surely be a product family... someday, anyway. Now, some will be irritated that each progressive release may have much better features, and if the next device supports an unwanted SIM and perhaps costs an additional $XX for the luxury I can understand why they would be put off. But I think people will be surprised at the eventual cost. While you may not buy a Palm Centro solely for PDA purposes, you just *might* find the "NxxxHSPA" useful AND cost-acceptable even if you don't make cell calls with it.

And if nothing else, it becomes a backup phone (if/when the cell voice service is supported of course, or via VoIP)... and that's not a bad thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 224602)
Yes, but can I choose a plain old N900 without the damn HSDPA modem?

No idea. :p

tso 2008-09-17 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlettn (Post 224600)
If you think this is the right thing for your needs, yeah, why not? And if you don't think so, there's always something else that fits better, so you go for that.

sorry to say, but i have yet to see something that could rival the N800...

Boke 2008-09-17 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 224581)

"Cheaper" you're paying out the *** for the cellular service.

Besides, there wont be any provider breaks for this, as it's data-only.

I already am paying out the *** for the cellular service. It won't change anything.

There will probably be provider breaks for this, even if it's data-only.
In france, SFR is selling an EEEPC for 99€ with a 3G USB key and a 30€ unlimited data plan.
I guess there might be that kind of plan with the next tablet...
Probably even cheaper since mobile internet is getting cheaper and cheaper now.

Also, he said "online anywhere with cellular connectivity over HSPA for broadband anywhere", not that it will be data-only, it might also act as a phone, am I wrong?

ARJWright 2008-09-17 14:04

Interesting; I'm glad that the range is extending, and this move will definitely have some analysts calling into question what Nokia wants to do with S60 now that that too is open source and cellular enabled. It would seem to me that Maemo and Symbian just overlapped considerably and one of those will not make it within 5-7 years time.

I'm not a fan of HSDPA for this; and at the same time I can see the thinking for a family of devices that would be enabled to do whatever data connection is needed whenever. From a marketing play for a services company, its smart.

Those with really nice eyes would see that in one of the slides to the presentaiton that there were a few Ovi shots there. Now, that in an of itself isn't a notable thing. But wouldn't it be a trip if the Maemo 5 UI pulled from what Nokia is doing with Ovi. The icons used for Ovi services are already slated to be used across the devices, so that would be just interesting.

High definition camera, eh. Considering that 5mpx Carl Zeiss lenses now compromise the low end of the N-series, this makes sense. Please tell me that there will be some innovative contextual uses of the camera beyond video calling and taking pics (geotagging, overlaying web with the real world, etc.).

All I wonder about at this point is the hardware design and the user interface. I'd like to know those before jumping in the pot that Maemo 5 is super great. Though, it does seem like a nice step #4 ;)

chlettn 2008-09-17 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 224603)
While you may not buy a Palm Centro solely for PDA purposes, you just *might* find the "NxxxHSPA" useful AND cost-acceptable even if you don't make cell calls with it.

And if nothing else, it becomes a backup phone... and that's not a bad thing.

So, the NITs are really becoming phones? I thought that HSPA radio would only be for data stuff and maybe VoIP ;)

Texrat 2008-09-17 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlettn (Post 224608)
So, the NITs are really becoming phones? I thought that HSPA radio would only be for data stuff and maybe VoIP ;)

I was speaking hypothetically, sorry. I won't get into those details any further. :D

EDIT: I see that Jaffa posted in another thread that this question was answered: data only for now. I guess someone wanting phone service will have to hack it. :D :D

EDIT 2: But in any event, doesn't it make VoIP even more viable? ;)

tso 2008-09-17 14:16

iirc, 4G/LTE should basically be tcp/ip in mobile form, with the phone services as just another set of data streams (as in, a 4G handset would basically be a voip device). as i think about it, could it be that nokia is getting ready for that kind of environment?