maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Backup menu compatibility between different devices (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93365)

sup 2014-06-21 18:27

Backup menu compatibility between different devices

My old N900 stopped working, so I bought a used one. After flashing it, it seemed to work fine. I installed backup menu on it and tried to reflash my data from my old unit. It seemed to went fine but after a succesfull reflash, the device entered into a reboot loop. I am trying now to reflash it again and I will use an older backup, but are the images created with backupmenu meant to be transferable between different devices?

nokiabot 2014-06-21 18:47

Re: Backup menu compatibility between different devices

Same thing happend when i tried restroing backup(everything) in middle of the road and also when i tried to use backup of my 2nd n900(rootfs) it resulted in reboot loopp my devices had diffrent hardware revisons....

backupmenu is a pita...

sorry :(

sup 2014-06-21 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1430519)
Same thing happend when i tried restroing backup(everything) in middle of the road and also when i tried to use backup of my 2nd n900(rootfs) it resulted in reboot loopp my devices had diffrent hardware revisons....

backupmenu is a pita...

sorry :(

Ah, I do not fancy reconfiguring my device from scratch at all:-(. It worked on my original phone though, I tried it several times.

shawnjefferson 2014-06-21 19:01

You do have to have the same kernel flashed on your device as is in the backup. Maybe a feature request for backupmenu to check this before restoring to put up some kind of a warning?

sup 2014-06-22 09:06

I thought backupmenu changed kernel too. So I need to install kernel that I used to have and then it should work?

sixwheeledbeast 2014-06-22 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sup (Post 1430549)
I thought backupmenu changed kernel too. So I need to install kernel that I used to have and then it should work?

Yes, that's correct.

cr0c0 2014-06-24 23:09

I restored several N900s from the same backupmenu images. I never ran i to any issues.

However each time I started with a fresh flash. Silly as it sounds I keep a dedicated XP 32 bit machine for flashing N900s and running an ancient film scanner

sup 2014-06-26 12:08

Hm, so I tried downloading kernel-power first but it still does not work.

I used csthumb before, could it make a difference? The kernel for csthumb and kernel-power are the same, right?

The device I got is from Poland and I used to have a Czech device, could that make a difference?

bla1 2014-06-26 12:21

You need exactly the same kernel (inc. version) that you had installed when doing backup. You can determine it by opening your backup file and checking modules folder.

If you feel adventurous, you may also modify your backup file, by replacing old kernel modules with on es belonging to new kernel (or any kernel that you want to have installed on device, that you will be restoring to).

Cheers,

sup 2014-06-26 12:31

It says 2.6.28.10-power52, so that corresponds to the kernel that I installed before restoring the backup:-/.