maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Facebook automatically goes to mobile version now [Corrected by Facebook] (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53311)

ZackMorris 2010-05-22 04:04

Facebook automatically goes to mobile version now [Corrected by Facebook]

So I just noticed that thru the browser facebook goes straight to mobile version now and ever since I owned the N900 it was the regular version, is there anyway to get out of the mobile mode?

gom4381 2010-05-22 04:16

Re: Facebook automatically goes to mobile verison now.

I don't have the N900 anymore but on my nexus one there is usually an option at the bottom of the page for touch, mobile, and the regular site

Gazzlam 2010-05-22 04:18

I noticed that today too!! Annoying!!!!

Particularly since there is no "full site" button on that screen, you have to do "touch site" then "full site" grrr!

I know there is something in the repositories that prevents MicroB from admitting you are on a phone, and subsequently sites think you are on a PC... but I don't want that. I want a cookie or something to remember I want full site view

automagic68 2010-05-22 04:19

I am just having the same problem I need help to fix this.

chase15 2010-05-22 04:24

having the same prob.. after it loads... just remove "m" on the link.. and that will fix it...

ZackMorris 2010-05-22 04:26

Yeah I went to touch site then full site and saved that as my desktop bookmark, seemed to have fixed it. I guess fb finally started to recognize the N900.

Magel282 2010-05-22 04:28

Yea mine does this now to.. Facebook must be able to detect mobile devices now and refer it to the "appropriate" version of the site.

Gazzlam 2010-05-22 04:38

I've just looked at the "full site" link, and it's a bloody javascript command, not a hyperlink... crap... maybe someone smarter than me can figure this out.

It annoys me that if you go to m.facebook.com, you get the mobile version...
If you go to touch.facebook.com, you get a slightly better mobile version...
Nothing that sends you to the full site though (although 0.facebook.com is a new thing that works for some carriers - just not mine)

azz 2010-05-22 04:39

same here...maybe i'll rebookmark facebook again...

Gazzlam 2010-05-22 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by azz (Post 670130)
same here...maybe i'll rebookmark facebook again...

I'm guessing it's not that simple.... if it is, I'll kick myself!

toille 2010-05-22 05:17

Simplist solution is bookmark: www.facebook.com/?m2w

this will take you to the full site straight away

Gazzlam 2010-05-22 05:19

---- Fix Found! ----

Change your bookmark to:
http://facebook.com/home.php

if you don't put the actual home.php bit in, it reverts to m.facebook.com. Worked 3 times in a row now

Edsal 2010-05-22 05:24

it still work's on firefox

Memph1s 2010-05-22 05:38

hmm, I'm having the same problem, going to try firefox now though. Should have tried this first as firefox is clearly a far superior browser than most others!

nathaneous 2010-05-22 05:50

this might seem like a stupid question but...
what internet connection are you using to access facebook on microb? Are you using your carriers WAP connection or a WI-FI connection?

Memph1s 2010-05-22 05:50

ok tried this and it is still only accessing the mobile site! fml!

Gazzlam 2010-05-22 06:09

@ nataneous - I'm on wi-fi at the moment. Either way just reads the browser and device type and reports it back to facebook. But the above method seems to force it to the full site anyway.

The Arsonist 2010-05-22 06:23

I'm so tired of Facebook making completely pointless alterations to this site. The interface is clunky and the interface chat is horrendous(and I'm just referring to the full desktop version). Not to mention all the problems with unnecessary invasion of privacy(just google Openbook fo get a real idea). Now they're reverting a FRIGGIN INTERNET TABLET to a MOBILE text-only site(not even the touch or good mobile site)?!? This device is more than capable of handling their crappy interface, why the heck would they ever find it necessary to take away the full version from us? Looks like I'll be sticking to the Facebrick app and Jabber from now on. The widget that came preloaded with the damn n900 is pointless now.

optimaxxx 2010-05-22 06:33

yeah, i love how they can recognise "you're on an N900" but they think we want/need that shyte interface?!

i HATE fb!!

maheshwararaju 2010-05-22 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by chase15 (Post 670122)
having the same prob.. after it loads... just remove "m" on the link.. and that will fix it...

thanks a lt

cortina61 2010-05-22 06:58

firefox goes to mobile site too. I tried bookmarking as per some of the suggestions on here but doesnt work.
so annoying, fb display on n900 was one of my favourite things!

Scharel 2010-05-22 07:15

I just wrote a propose to facebook to set back the full facebook site as the default site for the N900. Let's hope that they won't ignore it...

vabgeo 2010-05-22 07:31

changed my bookmark to http://www.facebook.com/home.php?m2w

Scharel 2010-05-22 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabgeo (Post 670221)

that doesn't work on my N900

jabba_29 2010-05-22 07:46

Quote:

Nothing that sends you to the full site though
You can get to that site from mobile -> touch -> full.

At is at the bottom of the page, below the settings link IIRC.

Absolute PITA. To add to the pain there is a link to download a bookmark for facebook for the N900. This takes you to getjar ->
sorry your phone is not support..

WTF!

Anyway, will change my bookmarks to see if this helps - brings up a little "bug" though - why can't we edit bookmarks??

jaysire 2010-05-22 07:54

Plus, if I go from mobile -> touch -> full and then click on a person's name to see their profile, it throws me back to the mobile site. I think fb is broken (again).

jabba_29 2010-05-22 07:55

Noticed that when I tried to select friends list too.
Sure they will fix it soon, but hopefully is happening to more than just N900 users so we are not left out!

9000 2010-05-22 08:04

Change the URL might not fix the problem, as facebook can still track you down by user agent, and even the http://www.facebook.com/home.php will recognize you eventually.

The solution to the problem(once and for all) is to change the user agent of your MicroB.

Procedure to change user agent:
1) In the address bar of MicroB, type about:config
2) you'll be prompted a warning of warrant void something, do not proceed if you're afraid
3) in the filter, type user
4) you can find "general.useragent.vendor" at the bottom, select it and press enter
5) change the user agent in the dialog box to something else like "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US)" (without quotes)

Now browse ANY site without having to worry about switching to mobile page.

Hope this help.

Scharel 2010-05-22 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabba_29 (Post 670228)
Anyway, will change my bookmarks to see if this helps - brings up a little "bug" though - why can't we edit bookmarks??

You can edit them by pushing and holding, then a menu appears.

lucas777 2010-05-22 08:17

just remove the .m and reload fixed.

felbutss 2010-05-22 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9000 (Post 670240)
change the url might not fix the problem, as facebook can still track you down by user agent, and even the http://www.facebook.com/home.php will recognize you eventually.

The solution to the problem(once and for all) is to change the user agent of your microb. Do not try the package hideuseragent, it doesn't work in this case.

Procedure to change user agent:
1) in the address bar of microb, type about:config
2) you'll be prompted a warning of warrant void something, do not proceed if you're afraid
3) in the filter, type user
4) you can find "general.useragent.vendor" at the bottom, select it and press enter
5) change the user agent in the dialog box to something else like "mozilla/5.0 (windows; u; windows nt 6.1; en-us)" (without quotes)

now browse any site without having to worry about switching to mobile page.

Hope this help.

that worked. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9000 2010-05-22 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by felbutss (Post 670253)
that worked. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that it works for you so it does for me.

However, some call me that it doesn't work for him. I know what happen. It seems that the browser reload the /home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js.

A quick fix would be running this BEFORE change the about:config, or /home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js:

(as root)invoke-rc.d tablet-browser-daemon stop

STILL it doesn't work for some people neither! The invoke-rc.d tablet-browser-daemon stop actually killall browser; kill browserd. To my dismay invoke-rc.d tablet-browser-daemon stop doesn't really kill browser and browserd at all!

It might be due to some apps he has been installed which keeps the browser daemon running, and which apps would cause the browser running forever in the background is out of my knowledge really.

Therefore, if you couldn't change your useragent because of this, you can still browser http://www.facebook.com/home.php

For the time being let me explore how to force MicroB to reload the change. I'll update you as soon as I find it.

figgefred 2010-05-22 09:16

Bookmark the following site:
http://www.facebook.com/?m2w
it directs you directly to the main site. Work for me without any problems at all.

9000 2010-05-22 09:23

I know http://www.facebook.com/?m2w and http://www.facebook.com/home.php works, but only at Facebook Inc.'s mercy. They could still make these two pages recognize useragent and throw you to the mobile page, if they see fit.

So the solution would be changing the useragent permanently. It seems that not everything could change the agent successfully by change about:config or /home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js

While I'm still reseraching on it, anyone would give a hints on changing the useragent permanently would greatly welcome.

akw123 2010-05-22 09:31

i noticed this when i log in to fb today , well gotta say , it is freaking annoying !!

Pigro 2010-05-22 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9000 (Post 670240)
The solution to the problem(once and for all) is to change the user agent of your MicroB. DO NOT TRY the package hideuseragent, it doesn't work in this case.

why do you think hideuseragent wouldn't work? I used it 10 mins ago and it worked for me (unless facebook have changed the site). Needed to do it this way cos fb was arbitrarily reverting to mobile mid-session even after having been manually set to normal version.

EDIT - 12 feckin' pages? ... sheesh. We could have stopped here. Just set the user agent like I said, forget the next "X" pages of this thread, and go do something something more intresting that's actually worth posting on your status, guys!

9000 2010-05-22 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigro (Post 670276)
why do you think hideuseragent wouldn't work? I used it 10 mins ago and it worked for me (unless facebook have changed the site). Needed to do it this way cos fb was arbitrarily reverting to mobile mid-session even after having been manually set to normal version.

Because it sometime causes MicroB to download home.php instead of browsing it. I won't re-install it again so I can't reproduce the problem for you. If anyone is interested, you can install it and try it out.

mukks 2010-05-22 09:46

ohh no,, pls someone get a fix for this, i always use the facebook widget and clicking it will take me to full site, now its the crappy mobile version.

I have another question - is it possible to make facebook widget open Touch version instead of mobile ver, which looks 100 time better.

korpi 2010-05-22 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scharel (Post 670209)
I just wrote a propose to facebook to set back the full facebook site as the default site for the N900. Let's hope that they won't ignore it...

Lets all do this propose to fb and perhaps we get default to full page. ofcourse changing useragent does the trick but really dont want to do that.

9000 2010-05-22 10:09

2 Attachment(s)
OK! I got it fixed! This time by using hideuseragent. I'm sorry to the maintainer of the hideuseragent that I said before it doesn't work for facebook. Yes, default hideuseragent doesn't work for http://m.facebook.com, it's the FAULT of facebook, because it tends to throw everything it won't recognize to mobile version. (See the first screenshot)

Here is the procedures to change User Agent of MicroB:

1) (As root) apt-get install hideuseragent
2) Go to Setting, find Hide User Agent
3) Click User Agent
4) Enter(better copy&paste): Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv6l; en-US; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20070810 Firefox/3.0a1 Tablet browser 0.1.16 RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2
5) Press Set (See second screenshot)

Now you can browse the http://www.facebook.com full version.

In response to mukks, you may change the user agent to the following if you want it to redirect you to Facebook Touch:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2

Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.025; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71/1.00.000; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A542a Safari/419.3

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

Mozilla/5.0(iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B314 Safari/531.21.10

Hope this help.

Ref: http://gerrymoth.co.uk/?p=108

(I think we can make it as FIXED now. ^^)

EDIT: Thanks to Santiago at #55, the following user agent can work with facebook's chat. Therefore, the procedures above are changed accordingly:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv6l; en-US; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20070810 Firefox/3.0a1 Tablet browser 0.1.16 RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2