maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Broken SIM card port? How to repair? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90462)

Wikiwide 2013-06-15 00:32

Broken SIM card port? How to repair?

1 Attachment(s)
One of the three visible teeth one seems to be broken off completely. A SIM card - which works with N900 - doesn't work with N950: crossed SIM card icon is shown in statusbar. Nokia N950 has Nemo installed as Single-boot, no Harmattan.
Would it be possible to repair it somehow? Space is not an issue: I can ask the provider to send me a micro-SIM or nano-SIM instead of the current mini-SIM.
However, it's preferred to not disassemble the device. I have bad history with non-standard screws.
Asking for help. Thanks in advance.

HtheB 2013-06-15 07:24

Re: Broken SIM card port? How to repair?

actually, they are standard Torx screws. Just get a cheap torx screwdriver and open it up.

if you put in mini/nano sim, it'll be stuck forever!!! and could cause even more damage when trying to remove it

Wikiwide 2013-06-15 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1352138)
actually, they are standard Torx screws. Just get a cheap torx screwdriver and open it up.

if you put in mini/nano sim, it'll be stuck forever!!! and could cause even more damage when trying to remove it

Well, I will have to look around for a torx screwdriver. If it happened a week ago, it would have been an easier task; but now, the closest hardware store has already closed.
The fact is, I have completely destroyed about four Philips screws when using a '+' screwdriver, and I am wary of even touching six-ended-star-screws.
When will a manufacturer produce a phone with multi-use standard screws and make its profit on selling spare parts to people - both do-it-for-money-for-cautious-user professionals and do-it-yourself-at-home hobbyists - instead of considering each phone a separate product incompatible with others?

Thank you for the warning. Yes, it would be nearly impossible to get such a small nano-SIM card out of this slot if it got stuck in it. I was asking about it because it is rumoured to be thinner, and if some soldering changed the slot so that standard SIM would no longer fit into it, the nano-SIM would have still had the chance.

These slots-ports are quite fragile. I am fortunate that micro-USB cable of N900 is wearing out, and not micro-USB port of N900. There was a moment today when I was afraid that the port itself no longer works, but now it's fine and merry.

Best wishes.

HtheB 2013-06-15 13:55

Another work around for you:

Solder a little (thin/small) hardwire to your simcard, so when you insert the simcard, it will make contact to the broken place.. who knows if you make it good, it should work without destroying your phone :P

Wikiwide 2013-06-16 03:07

1 Attachment(s)
Another image.
How do I check whether the other three teeth (far away from the opening) are fine?
Could this damage be caused by pushing memory card into SIM card slot?
Afraid of soldering such small parts. Does the material of the wire play any role? Copper or whatever...
What's the chance of finding such small tooth on the floor?

HtheB 2013-06-16 06:51

I really don't know.
i think it's worth the shot, since it couldn't damage your phone
as long as it's a hard wire/copper, it would be fine i guess.

or just bring it to your local repair guys :P

nokiabot 2013-06-16 08:44

U can use a thin copper plate fold it then solder it to the board.

Dont try to place some solder alloy to make contact as it looses connectivty ofen

moreover do it carefully as if it conects diff region it will render sim as well as the sim ic shorted:)
as hiteb said go to some repair guys they will handle it with ease:)

nokiabot 2013-06-16 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1352202)
Another work around for you:

Solder a little (thin/small) hardwire to your simcard, so when you insert the simcard, it will make contact to the broken place.. who knows if you make it good, it should work without destroying your phone :P

do not try it:)

Wikiwide 2013-06-16 14:12

Waiting for more opinions...
Looking around for the closest repair guys who would be able to look at my photograph of the SIM port, or the device itself, and give their price quote.
Still hoping for DIY solution - but unlikely, given my tools and skills.
Thank you. Best wishes.

nokiabot 2013-06-16 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1352481)
Waiting for more opinions...
Looking around for the closest repair guys who would be able to look at my photograph of the SIM port, or the device itself, and give their price quote.
Still hoping for DIY solution - but unlikely, given my tools and skills.
Thank you. Best wishes.

it seems it is better to not try diy as your post says:)
and would you please add some photographs of the board , simslot please

Arie 2013-06-17 05:04

Wikiwide, pm I may be of some help to you :)

Wikiwide 2013-06-18 09:47

So, since I have only N9 Service Manual, and not an N950 Service Manual, are these screws TorxPlus4 or TorxPlus5? Can I reuse them, or should I replace them with new screws just to be on the safe side?
Is it better to use Torx or TorxPlus screwdriver? Torx screwdriver would have loose fit with TorxPlus screw, but it's not like large torque is needed.
The most detailed photograph of the slot from outside I could take was already provided (yes, it's the original resolution, just cropped from a larger photograph): http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1371352084.
Will post the photographs of the inside when I get the proper screwdriver(s).
For now, it's expected that any soldering will be done only on useless SIM cards (there are two or three of them), not on the SIM port itself - just to confirm that the solder alloy conducts current and fixes the problem.

Wikiwide 2013-06-21 11:48

This road was not short, of that I forewarn,
It passed by Misery Port, into lands forlorn,
Where maps are uncharted and travellers guided by stars,
Where hints are given by residents passing by in their cars,
Where sellers are not noted despite the bitter of price wars...
The Bunnies were kind, but their given product was of size
Unsuitable, and shown to be slightly too large for the device.
The loss of time refunded was by their freely offered advice
To visit Smith, located nearby, on the other side of the road.
Find him we could not; despite of the maps an extensive load,
We had seen neither head nor tail of him. But it was not a hoax,
Merely abundance of the roads and lack of posters outdoors.
When we arrived by bus to the place of many stairs and floors,
The Smith was found here; indeed, he held a reply to our need,
Collection of this and that, sizes four, five and six, in their midst.
Most of this collection would hardly be ever needed, but the case
We took, and - wonder - this time the driver and screw matched,
But the spares could not be found, either, in this small helpful place.
So, the four screws will be removed soon, and photograph then posted, but what should be attempted then, to repair somehow the SIM card slot? The least risky suggestions are welcome. Graphite or anything else crumbling into dust cannot be used, for obvious reasons.
Best wishes.

nokiabot 2013-06-21 12:04

Yes post photographs from inside:) and please dont use solder alloy on sim card to make a hump. Yes it can conduct electricty but very quickly something happens to outer surface i.e a layer forms which hinders electricty flow . Believe me:)and as i said before if you make wrong contacts situation will be worse:)so just open board figure out and probably use a thin strip of x metel as like u see the other pins:)

stickymick 2013-06-21 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1352392)
U can use a thin copper plate fold it then solder it to the board.

This is where this stuff could come in very handy:
Wire Glue

I used to use it regularly for repairing battery contacts in quartz watches. It works well if you don't put too much strain on it, i.e SIM swapping excessively.

Wikiwide 2013-06-21 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1353672)
Wire Glue

I used to use it regularly for repairing battery contacts in quartz watches. It works well if you don't put too much strain on it, i.e SIM swapping excessively.

I have it, if this small jar isn't empty already. I used it quite excessively when attempting to repair the contacts within a keyboard after spilling water on it. This keyboard doesn't work at all; just a source of spare parts for other keyboards.
Are you sure that this glue will hold? I am going to try it, since you used to use it regularly for repairing contacts. I am just afraid of short-circuiting something with electricity-conducting dust.
Thank you! Best wishes.

nokiabot 2013-06-21 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1353672)
Wire Glue

hey can you elaborate more on the glue please about strenth hardening time and corrosive properties and also reliablity :)
i have never used it but seen some using it . This could be great for my wonky donkey works where my hands shatter with soldering iron:)
thanx for the post !

nokiabot 2013-06-21 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1353713)
I have it, if this small jar isn't empty already. I used it quite excessively when attempting to repair the contacts within a keyboard after spilling water on it. This keyboard doesn't work at all; just a source of spare parts for other keyboards.
Are you sure that this glue will hold? I am going to try it, since you used to use it regularly for repairing contacts. I am just afraid of short-circuiting something with electricity-conducting dust.
Thank you! Best wishes.

i am glad that you got wary about short circuiting:) though it can be solved but its really a nuiance or too much work:)

Wikiwide 2013-06-22 02:01

1 Attachment(s)
Photograph.
Three inside pins are fine. Two outside pins are flat and possibly shorter than they should be. One outside pin is broken off, as known earlier. Black non-conductive material separates pins from each other.

HtheB 2013-06-22 02:13

How the hell did it happen anyway?!

Just bring it to your local repair shop. i'm sure they wont ask you much just to fix that

nokiabot 2013-06-22 03:19

Oh man bad stuff:( find a local repair shop as hiteb said:)
as the slot looks it needs dedicate hands to open it up:)

Wikiwide 2013-06-22 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1353821)
Oh man bad stuff:( find a local repair shop as hiteb said:)
as the slot looks it needs dedicate hands to open it up:)

I do wonder whether our local soldering tools are thin enough, but there is hope for a piece of wire to be soldered in place of the broken off pin.
I do wonder why jewellers don't have a side-business of soldering such thin parts to repair 'broken' devices. Some people around here employ a magnifying glass to take a look at the contacts. I do not have to, because I am near-sighted.
Yes, when seen from above, it looks worse than in previous photographs. But remember. Only one pin is broken off. Other two pins are almost fine, just flattened down. These peeking-holes in metal cover do not show everything within the slot - just ends of the pins.
Thank you. Best wishes.

nokiabot 2013-06-22 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1353825)
I do wonder whether our local soldering tools are thin enough, but there is hope for a piece of wire to be soldered in place of the broken off pin.
I do wonder why jewellers don't have a side-business of soldering such thin parts to repair 'broken' devices. Some people around here employ a magnifying glass to take a look at the contacts. I do not have to, because I am near-sighted.
Yes, when seen from above, it looks worse than in previous photographs. But remember. Only one pin is broken off. Other two pins are almost fine, just flattened down. These peeking-holes in metal cover do not show everything within the slot - just ends of the pins.
Thank you. Best wishes.

yup they will be thin enough:) or simply a needle can be used. Better if you go to a electronic servic centere .:)
the pin is easy to repair but the slot mentioned is way too cubersome for me:)
i remember replacing 5800 and some samgsung slots but yor slot is again diff:(
i have never seen a n9 or n950 board:) good luck with your repairing:)

stickymick 2013-06-22 08:12

After seeing your latest PIC, it looks like the other 2 pins are not too healthy.
The thing with the adhesive was it was a permanent fix if it wasn't disturbed. Because they were watches in my case the contacts were glued in place, left to cure for a day or two then the battery was replaced and everything was left undisturbed for 12 months minimum until the battery needed replacing.

Wikiwide 2013-06-22 12:19

After soldering bits of wire as pins, supported by pieces of two-sided sticky tape so that they would not be flattened, the SIM port works. However, SIM card is not to be taken out, because the whole set-up is fragile.
Torx screws were put back without any troubles. However, there is no wish to remove them while there are no spare screws available.
Best wishes. Thank you.

nokiabot 2013-06-22 13:11

Good job wikiwide:)
now will you post a pic of those torx screws as i wonder you may find plenty of them available??

Wikiwide 2013-06-22 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1353906)
Good job wikiwide:)
now will you post a pic of those torx screws as i wonder you may find plenty of them available??

They fit torx4 screwdriver. Most likely, they are Torx Plus 4, since Service Manual for N9 says Torx+ everywhere.
Will post a picture of one of these screws later.
Thank you. Best wishes.