maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter for the Mac (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19899)

Reggie 2008-05-08 16:06

Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter for the Mac

Quote:

A new version of the Internet Tablet Video Converter has been released to fix bugs, add API support for Python, Perl, and Java, and now support for Mac OS X. Victor Brilon, Sr. Product Manager, Home Networking Solutions, Convergence Products posted the following at the Nokia Beta Labs Blog:Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter has been updated and we’re thrilled to bring you this latest version. This latest release includes several major updates, including:    A version for OS X that’ll run on Tiger and Leopard on Intel and PPC platforms. This is our first release for the OS X platform, so we are eager to hear your feedback on how it could be improved     The codecs for the Windows version have been updated and hopefully we’ve fixed the bugs that the community has reported to us     The Developer API has been updated based on user feedback. It now supports Python, Perl, and Java as programming languages to access the API. We’re very interested in seeing what the community can cook up using this feature.Download here. Thanks to our great Internet Tablet community, we’ve made some really good changes to this software and we hope you like it as much as we do. Please report any bugs you find at https://bugs.maemo.org. Thanks, Victor
Read the full article.

WoodyS 2008-05-08 16:48

Re: Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter for the Mac

Thank you for the update. I'm currently converting an avi now.

konttori 2008-05-08 19:36

Oh man, this is just so great! Just what doctor ordered!

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-09 02:09

Converting a couple of Bleach avis right now. Old Quicksilver G4 . . . might take a while. :D

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-09 02:57

Well, the first one just finished. Audio is fine, but the video is just white. . . .

Tard-mode OFF

Works great!

Used Bleach 167 from here.

taguapire 2008-05-09 03:51

Hi,

I compared videos from tablet-encode script vs Internet Tablet video Converter for the Mac. The results were obvious; Nokia software is CRAP, video quality was worst than poor. tablet-encode script do a LOT BETTER job transcoding videos. With Nokia software I just get videos wth a LOT of artifacts and washed video.

Regards,

Taguapire.

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-09 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by taguapire (Post 179532)
I compared videos from tablet-encode script vs Internet Tablet video Converter for the Mac. The results were obvious; Nokia software is CRAP, video quality was worst than poor. tablet-encode script do a LOT BETTER job transcoding videos. With Nokia software I just get videos wth a LOT of artifacts and washed video.

Did you bother to change the quality setting in Preferences? :rolleyes:

josiahg777 2008-05-09 04:12

Hmmm... I may be in the minority here, but in my opinion Macs have iSquint! Why do we need Nokia's software?

vbrilon 2008-05-09 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by taguapire (Post 179532)
Hi,

Mmmmm.....nothing like getting warm fuzzies from community members :)

We've created a tool to support end users who want a one step solution for video conversion and who may not be savvy enough to use a tool like tablet-encode (which is a kick-*** tool btw). You may not realize it, but for (mostly) legal reasons we can't just use the same video conversion codecs that most Open Source tools use (such as mencoder -- which is what tablet-encode uses). Within those constraints we try to make the best solution possible. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes, not so much. In either case, that's why this software is delivered as beta, so we can get valuable feedback from our users.

I'm glad to hear your feedback but - for future reference - most people (myself included) tend to block out rants when they offer nothing constructive in the criticism.

vbrilon 2008-05-09 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 179520)
Well, the first one just finished. Audio is fine, but the video is just white. . . .

Used Bleach 167 from here.

I haven't downloaded the file (can't use torrent behind corporate firewall), but what's the source file? can you play it ok? any details would be good.

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-09 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 179541)
I haven't downloaded the file (can't use torrent behind corporate firewall), but what's the source file? can you play it ok? any details would be good.

OK, I'm assuming ITVC uses Quicktime for decoding, then? Installed Perian . . . works fine now. :rolleyes:@self

vbrilon 2008-05-09 04:42

Awesome solution. Thanks!

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-09 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 179549)
Awesome solution. Thanks!

Yes, not sure if you can recommend it officially, but at least unofficially, Perian is an excellent way to improve Quicktime's codec handling.

taguapire 2008-05-09 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 179536)
Did you bother to change the quality setting in Preferences? :rolleyes:

Of course my friend. To the MAX ;)

Regards,

Taguapire.

taguapire 2008-05-09 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 179540)
Mmmmm.....nothing like getting warm fuzzies from community members :)

We've created a tool to support end users who want a one step solution for video conversion and who may not be savvy enough to use a tool like tablet-encode (which is a kick-*** tool btw). You may not realize it, but for (mostly) legal reasons we can't just use the same video conversion codecs that most Open Source tools use (such as mencoder -- which is what tablet-encode uses). Within those constraints we try to make the best solution possible. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes, not so much. In either case, that's why this software is delivered as beta, so we can get valuable feedback from our users.

I'm glad to hear your feedback but - for future reference - most people (myself included) tend to block out rants when they offer nothing constructive in the criticism.

You are right vbrilon, sorry for my poor posted rant, I just had a bad day. I know now that ITVC from Nokia is not for people who likes the best quality in his vdeos. Keep your hard and usefull work going.

Regards,

Taguapire.

Traecer 2008-05-09 05:41

Thanks, Nokia! (VBrilon specifically!) Having just sold off my Windows laptop, I was in the market for new video conversion utils for my Mac. I just installed ITVC for Mac a little while ago and have just started converting some videos. One thing I noticed during installation is that ITVC didn't run from my external drive. I initially installed there, but it gave me some JS errors about not being able to find a file (sorry, didn't write it down). I trashed the app and reinstalled on the system drive, and everything worked fine (so far anyway). Minor issue, but one you might want to know about. I probably should have written down the error and filed a bug...sorry.

vbrilon 2008-05-09 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traecer (Post 179568)
One thing I noticed during installation is that ITVC didn't run from my external drive. I initially installed there, but it gave me some JS errors about not being able to find a file (sorry, didn't write it down).

Yep, this is known bug (feature?) is that if the app is installed anywhere but in the default place things start to break. If it's an issue for enough people, please file this as an enhancement in Bugzilla.

Thanks for the feedback

vpaquette 2008-05-09 21:56

Thanks for this program I don't have a need for mac but this is the first I had heard of it. I havn't test out the video quality yet i did a conversion last night. So i'm hoping that it does some good work.

Thanks GeneralAntilles for the link for bleach, i've been watching them on youtube for the whole 8 seasons I'm going to have to get them from that site from now on.

sondjata 2008-05-15 23:23

Decently fast. Decent quality. But that whole "copy to" after converting is annoying.

Laughing Man 2008-05-16 02:29

Hmm.. wonder if this version will work with my Camera recorded .avi (most of the time converters crap out due to the way it was recorded). So I have to convert it into another format and back. >.<

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-16 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 182239)
Hmm.. wonder if this version will work with my Camera recorded .avi (most of the time converters crap out due to the way it was recorded). So I have to convert it into another format and back. >.<

If it plays in Quicktime, it should be able to convert it.

Laughing Man 2008-05-16 03:55

Maybe, I'll have to download it on my laptop and give it a whirl. It hasn't worked before (and I notice that there's a comment that talks about how it has issue with some camera recorded .avi) so I'll post if it works or not by tomorrow probably.

Edit: Doesn't work (it errors out). This is a Canon A620 recorded .avi

delaroca 2008-06-01 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sondjata (Post 182187)
Decently fast. Decent quality. But that whole "copy to" after converting is annoying.

The other quirk I got was a "short of space on temporary folder." Since I had over 9GB free on my working HD this is strange... I clicked on continue and the conversion continued and was able to finish successfully.

-- Denis

vbrilon 2008-06-01 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by delaroca (Post 187618)
The other quirk I got was a "short of space on temporary folder." Since I had over 9GB free on my working HD this is strange... I clicked on continue and the conversion continued and was able to finish successfully.

That's really odd. Is this something you can reproduce consistently? If so, please file a bug about it with the details.

hyankov 2008-09-04 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 187644)
That's really odd. Is this something you can reproduce consistently? If so, please file a bug about it with the details.

I don't think there is any problem here. When you start the converter, it allocates some temp file with a fixed size. Once it grows over that size it just prompts you to OK it ;)

video-video 2008-11-28 02:55

Come here to get the powerful Nokia Converter!

Nokia Converter is specially designed for Nokia Mobile phone users which allows you to convert various video and audio formats to your Nokia. No matter you are using N95,N91, N73,7610, 7510, 6300,6120,5700,5600,5310, 5300, ect, with Nokia 3GP Converter, you can convert your favourite movies or MV to your Nokia without interruption.
:D:D:D

vbrilon 2008-11-28 03:03

It's worth adding here, that in spite of the name, the "Nokia Converter" software does not come from Nokia, nor is endorsed by anyone from Nokia. I'd suspect the authors of that software may want to consider rethinking the name of it due to trademark issues. But I am not lawyer, so I don't know. What I do know is that Nokia has nothing to do with this software.

mfortner 2008-11-28 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by josiahg777 (Post 179538)
Hmmm... I may be in the minority here, but in my opinion Macs have iSquint! Why do we need Nokia's software?

No you are not alone. I get better results with iSquint.

rheve 2008-11-28 11:02

Handbrake is also available for Mac. Allows DVD and files convertion.

pakyooh 2009-01-20 19:20

Handbrake and Video Converter

Has anything changed with the program? I recently switched from PC to Mac. Since Handbreak is free, I went ahead and used it to rip a copy of my dvd for tablet conversion. The final result was just blank white screen. The output file from handbrake was avi. I've also tried the mp4 but the tablet converter isn't taking it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Frank Banul 2009-01-20 19:33

I used the following Handbrake settings successfully.

Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD)
Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)
Audio Sample rate: 44.1 kHz

The disadvantage of Handbrake is that you can't limit the maximum bitrate. In practice, playing from the SD card, you'll probably be OK but might get some skipping on high action scenes.

Tablet-encode will allow you to specify a maximum bitrate.

Frank

pakyooh 2009-01-20 19:36

Thanks! I'll try this out tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Banul (Post 258884)
I used the following Handbrake settings successfully.

Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD)
Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)

The disadvantage of Handbrake is that you can't limit the maximum bitrate. In practice, playing from the SD card, you'll probably be OK but might get some skipping on high action scenes.

Tablet-encode will allow you to specify a maximum bitrate.

Frank

vbrilon 2009-01-21 08:49

Re: Handbrake and Video Converter

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakyooh (Post 258880)
Has anything changed with the program? I recently switched from PC to Mac. Since Handbreak is free, I went ahead and used it to rip a copy of my dvd for tablet conversion. The final result was just blank white screen. The output file from handbrake was avi. I've also tried the mp4 but the tablet converter isn't taking it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Not sure I understand the problem. You rip the DVD using Handbrake to an AVI file and then feed that AVI to the ITVC program and you get a blank screen? Is that correct?

Did you make sure the AVI file out of Handbrake was viewable using QuickTime first?

pakyooh 2009-01-21 18:02

Re: Handbrake and Video Converter

Sorry if it was a bit confusing but you got my question right.

I've tried the setting the was given above and it still gives me the white screen when transferred to the NIT using the media player to view. Actually, it doesn't seem to play at all. It just sits still on white screen. I tried using mplayer, the audio works but the video is stuck unless I skim through it.

After reading you comment, I tried playing the AVI file on quicktime and prompted me that I need to install some plug-ins. Will try to download those today after work and try the whole process again.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 259020)
Not sure I understand the problem. You rip the DVD using Handbrake to an AVI file and then feed that AVI to the ITVC program and you get a blank screen? Is that correct?

Did you make sure the AVI file out of Handbrake was viewable using QuickTime first?

vbrilon 2009-01-21 18:12

Try to have Handbrake convert to a format that QuickTime can deal with natively and life will be much easier :)

pakyooh 2009-01-21 19:11

Thanks again for the quick response, what would be the setting that would be usable for quicktime?

I'm using the settings given to me earlier in this thread Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD) Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbrilon (Post 259106)
Try to have Handbrake convert to a format that QuickTime can deal with natively and life will be much easier :)

vbrilon 2009-01-21 19:42

That's the the settings for what the tablet need. Just have Handbrake rip into the most lossless format that QT can handle and let ITVC worry about it from there.

rheve 2009-01-22 09:25

Multiple transcoding is never a good idea (quality wise).
I would suggest to validate DVD ripping using one of the iPod profiles provided with Handbrake and test the result with QT. If the result is good, it means DVD ripping is working.
Then you will have to create your own profile for N8xx.
Test it using any video file you have on your Mac. If the result fit with your expectations, then you are ready to do DVD rip with N8xx profile.

pakyooh 2009-01-23 00:28

Thanks for the responses, I actually just had to download the rest of the quicktime plug-ins and it worked. I used the same settings as before.

srf21c 2009-11-20 18:53

Looks like the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter application has been "archived" by Nokia and is no longer available for download at http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Fortunately the download links for both Mac and PC at softpedia.com are still working.

I just downloaded version 0.32 and installed it on my Mac. Ran a couple of conversions, and it seems to be working fine.