maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nokia's Vision for Wireless Handsets (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20851)

Reggie 2008-06-10 04:31

Nokia's Vision for Wireless Handsets

Quote:

In a few hours from now, Dr. Ari Jaaksi, Nokia Director of Open Source Operations is scheduled to present his 30-minute keynote over at Handsets World in Berlin Germany on "Nokia’s Vision for Wireless Handsets". The schedule lists his talk as follows:    What are the attributes of wireless handsets going forward?     What do users want?     How is Nokia meeting the needs of the market around the world?It is also expected that he will touch on the maemo.org community brainstorming session that a lot in the Internet Tablet community have participated on. Let's hope someone records his speech and post it online.
Read the full article.

JoeF 2008-06-12 01:19

Re: Nokia's Vision for Wireless Handsets

The only comments I could find so far :

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9432956,00.htm

AbelMN 2008-06-12 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeF (Post 191183)
The only comments I could find so far :

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9432956,00.htm

Yup, Good article, I am however not sure if Mr. Jaakski truly reflected the results of the Maemo Wiki brainstorm, but he surely understands the N8X0 customer and end-user:

"Nokia's primary play in the open-source sphere thus far has been Maemo, the Linux-based operating system that runs on its N800-series tablet devices. These devices are popular among developers in the Maemo developer community but, being something of a testbed, have not yet seen much traction in the mass market. "

I hope Nokia will continue developing Tablets. What the N800 does really well is is mobile internet browsing, with flash for watching (YouTube) videos, a nice standard media player, up to 16 (8) Gb Flash memory an excellent wifi reception which, together with Boingo, works wherever I am. It has an truly excellent screen and good speakers. It works fine (a bit slow) with all the Google facilities, which means you have 1 mail site and 1 document 'box' always available.

I like the standard OS 2008 software: Great stuff and it works always. Simple applications, high quality and easy usable. (Additionally Skype and Pidgin are great). It is the best Pocket Computer to Carry the Internet Wherever You Go! The Market for small notebooks (EE, Dell) is already booming, so I think the Tablet has it's own future.

I also hope that Maemo.org will develop more add-ons for the standard OS and stop competing with it: adapting additional in stead of complementary (Linux) tools for the Tablets seems to be a great 'mission' for Maemo. Usability, Quality and Simplicity should become Maemo Marks.

Developing 'Media Players' like Canola, MediaBox, MPlayer, Kagu, Media Streamer, Quiver, Streamtuner, Ukmp, Youamp and whatever is maybe interesting for senior ITT members, but the customer simply gets confused ! As too many of these complementary gadgets do not simply work after the first Maemo download and alongside documentation lacks, it takes too many dark winter evenings too find out why I should bother to use them.

Abel.

GeneralAntilles 2008-06-12 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbelMN (Post 191288)
Yup, Good article, I am however not sure if Mr. Jaakski truly reflected the results of the Maemo Wiki brainstorm, but he surely understands the N8X0 customer and end-user:

Uh, this wasn't actually related to the brainstorm. :\

Quote:

I also hope that Maemo.org will develop more add-ons for the standard OS and stop competing with it: adapting additional in stead of complementary (Linux) tools for the Tablets seems to be a great 'mission' for Maemo. Usability, Quality and Simplicity should become Maemo Marks.

Do you mean 3rd party developers or Nokia? If 3rd party, I'm not sure how they're "competing" with ITOS. Besides, 3rd party developers should be doing whatever the hell their want to with their own damn time regardless of what you or anybody else thinks. :)

Quote:

Developing 'Media Players' like Canola, MediaBox, MPlayer, Kagu, Media Streamer, Quiver, Streamtuner, Ukmp, Youamp and whatever is maybe interesting for senior ITT members, but the customer simply gets confused ! As too many of these complementary gadgets do not simply work after the first Maemo download and alongside documentation lacks, it takes too many dark winter evenings too find out why I should bother to use them.

Media players aren't interesting to end users? News to me, I figured out of all people end-users would be most interested in media players. :\

Texrat 2008-06-12 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 191289)
Media players aren't interesting to end users? News to me, I figured out of all people end-users would be most interested in media players. :\

What I read from AbelMN's comment is not that end users aren't interested in media players, but that they may be confused by all the offerings.

GeneralAntilles 2008-06-12 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 191300)
What I read from AbelMN's comment is not that end users aren't interested in media players, but that they may be confused by all the offerings.

How are the options available here any different than the options available on a regular computer? There are dozens upon dozens of media players for Windows and most people seem to be able to figure things out just fine.

IcelandDreams 2008-06-12 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 191289)
Do you mean 3rd party developers or Nokia? If 3rd party, I'm not sure how they're "competing" with ITOS. Besides, 3rd party developers should be doing whatever the hell their want to with their own damn time regardless of what you or anybody else thinks. :)

Absolutely.
However, players that want to get more serious (isn't that what some do, have OS projects to bring attention to their other money making projects?) could do well by learning the business of folks like Nokia. Then do what they want but they'll be armed with more options that play well in the real world. But keeping the platform open to anyone that wants to do anything is what attracted me in the first place.

Quote:

Not everyone but sure, if it does media then it needs to do it very well or we all suffer the boredom of iPosts and a smaller niche community.

I'm thinking of the little things but not eye candy. The eye candy mentality doesn't impress me a whole lot unless the functionality and details are equally well thought out. There is a fine line between the business of good feature choices that market well and the independent spirit of real innovation.

Possibly a poor example but important to my needs is the SIP client. Basic and highly functional this is what I depend on most. To me this device is a phone no matter what they say in the media. But one detail is missing that could be done if business details were more thought out, an option to ring the speakers when headphones are plugged in. My desk phone and softphone does this and would be valuable to me on the NIT. I want to use the headphone during a call but won't hear the ring if I don't have the buds in my ear already. (I had better look again before getting egg on face)

Of course if media playing was the most important I might be wearing the buds 24/7 and would never miss a call. But I'm not always listening to media. Business details might point that out as a feature requirement even if the developer's needs are different.

Texrat 2008-06-12 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 191304)
How are the options available here any different than the options available on a regular computer? There are dozens upon dozens of media players for Windows and most people seem to be able to figure things out just fine.

I'm not gonna defend his position... I was just pointing out my interpretation.

iamthewalrus 2008-06-12 19:23

Apparently you developers need to be 'educated':

Quote:

We want to educate open-source developers," said Jaaksi, who is Nokia's vice president of software and heads up the Finnish handset manufacturer's open-source operations. "There are certain business rules [developers] need to obey, such as DRM, IPR [intellectual property rights], SIM locks and subsidised business models.

benny1967 2008-06-12 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus (Post 191430)
Apparently you developers need to be 'educated':

I'm afraid this doesn't win the maemo platform a lot of new friends.

May I cite from the zdnet article's comments:
Quote:

Dr Jaaksi appears to have said:
"That Open Source stuff is very nice except for being Open Source. Get rid of those pesky Open Source licences and Nokia will be much happier"
Or:
"We'll take all your stuff for ourselves, now p*ss off and stop bothering us"
There's more like this.

I'm not sure what Ari really said and if they cited him correctly (I'm afraid they do, he said something similar before), but I admit I have to agree with the content of these negative comments (not with the style, of course). I wish Nokia would stop doing this again and again.