maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   N900 vs Galaxy S2 (Super Biased Review) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83783)

gearspec 2012-04-20 21:09

N900 vs Galaxy S2 (Super Biased Review)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, I am new to the community here at maemo but I have been using the facilities of the community through THE n900 for for some time. So lets get started.

I had the pleasure of having a Samsung Galaxy S2 for about a Week. And here is a bit of a story and a review.

A friend of mine, very fond of Android took a day of usage of Galaxy S2.

1. He seemed to be very excited about the 8 MP camera.
(People who knows photography knows MP doesn't matter)
And I kept thinking I got fCamera on n900 which lets me control "Depth of field" that can put many DSLR to shame not to mention shutter speed and what not.

2. He really likes the screen size.
hmm, I checked some specs and it seems
Galaxy S2 has today
800 x 480 pixels, 4.3 inches (~217 ppi pixel density),
while my years old n900 has
800 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches (~267 ppi pixel density).
Seems as if same resolution spread over a large area.

3. GS II has no FM transmitter. Me and my friends hang out a lot and we really don't know which car we are gonna use the next minute, having a FM transmitter helps a lot.

4. "The wonder Galaxy S2 touchscreen" as my friend calls it. Then I showed him MY PAINT. N900 comes with one of the most sophisticated touchscreen with TILT and Pressure sensitivity. I design 3D models and half the time I sketch what will come to life on the n900. This if it was produced by WACOM would cost a zillion dollars. Man I can even run Blender 3D on it.

5. Galaxy S2 has thousands of apps my friend says. I say, I don't need 99,900+ fart apps. I can run an entire OS (easy debian), Code on the GO, program on LISP, what can you do?

6. Galaxy S2 has good voice commands. I am like, dude.... I would rather take 5 seconds to do it rather than have a voice command women repeat what I said for 10 minutes and then make a mistake.

7. Galaxy S2 has a great browser he says with tilty zoomy thing. I said: native microB will destroy every emulation browser you got with mobile optimization. When n900 logs in to a site, it considers itself a PC.

8. Galaxy S2 has Dual core processors and 1GB ram.
hmmm.... Intamaresting. ......
Then how come the n900 runs faster?

9. Games and apps. The android market is full of it. Then I showed him the 3000 game roms I got in my n900 from SEGA.

n900 is a PC not a phone. Its not a toy like the iPhone. This is from an era when people were thinking of getting things done on the go rather than waste time. There are three kinds of people. People who use a software, people who market it and people who makes it. n900 belongs only to the latter group. THE END...

**Update:
My dear friend made a come back with some n900 bashing points:
1. Battery Life
2. Pinch to "zoom and crap" is missing.
3. Hardware is older ( spec wise ) .

My answer:
I told him to check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6F2V144Hc

sifo 2012-04-20 21:22

Re: N900 vs Galaxy S2 (Super Biased Review)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearspec (Post 1195081)
Hello, I am new to the community here at maemo but I have been using the facilities of the community through THE n900 for for some time. So lets get started.

I had the pleasure of having a Samsung Galaxy S2 for about a Week. And here is a bit of a story and a review.

A friend of mine, very fond of Android took a day of usage of Galaxy S2........................

you may forget to tell yor friend about multiboot/u-boot and having more than 1 or 2 OS's at the same time (like nitdroid-meego-nemo-ubuntu....etc) and the OVELOCKING :p

vi_ 2012-04-20 21:25

A totally biased review that supports my opinion.

I agree with this post.

sifo 2012-04-20 21:31

hi vi_ im curious to know what this code for the one on your signature ;)

gearspec 2012-04-20 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1195088)
you may forget to tell yor friend about multiboot/u-boot and having more than 1 or 2 OS's at the same time (like nitdroid-meego-nemo-ubuntu....etc) and the OVELOCKING :p

I could have easily done that. I could have mentioned
1. Overclocking to 1.2 Ghz with ease.
2. Multibooting everything out there.

and even some more such as

3. The amount of swap space I got and that I can keep Easy debian on a class 10 card and have it run like its on a Pentium 4 with 2 GB of ram.

4. THE Great OTG.

5. Not to forget cult of developers supporting it.

6. His face would have exploded if I showed him GIMP and Word inside easy debian.

Man, those were the days. When nokia made goods stuff. Today Nokia is just seem to be very confused.

ToJa92 2012-04-20 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1195094)
hi vi_ im curious to know what this code for the one on your signature ;)

It rolls a virtual dice, if you get 0 then you'll get a forkbomb and your system will (probably), after some time, freeze. Otherwise, you live.

The second one is probably something on the same theme, except there's no virtual dice.

sifo 2012-04-20 21:40

you are totally right gearspec
btw i always make my friends hate their phones especially the E7 N8 and some android phones and two of my friends sold thier phones and bought an N900 BECAUSE OF ME :D

HELLASISGREECE 2012-04-20 21:40

The N900 has:

Maemo
HW qwerty (with numerous shortcuts)
The Ultimate connectivity (wlan, bluetooth, fm trans, irda, Skype,gps, etc etc

^those are the 3 main pros (imo). i know there are many things as well which the N900 excells!

sifo 2012-04-20 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToJa92 (Post 1195098)
It rolls a virtual dice, if you get 0 then you'll get a forkbomb and your system will (probably), after some time, freeze. Otherwise, you live.

The second one is probably something on the same theme, except there's no virtual dice.

:D man i like your living directory (dev/null) ;)

gearspec 2012-04-20 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1195099)
you are totally right gearspec
btw i always make my friends hate their phones especially the E7 N8 and some android phones and two of my friends sold thier phones and bought an N900 BECAUSE OF ME :D

There are a couple of n900 surfacing from time to time and floating around in my country (used) at a great price, and I keep inviting my friends to the DARK SIDE. But they would rather buy an iPhony and join the EVIL & SLAVE side.