maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How can I install devel apps without repository? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37480)

Aranel 2009-12-17 01:55

How can I install devel apps without repository?

Hi, I want to install Quake 3, OpenArena and irreco, but it seems i cannot, b/c they're considered as extras-devel apps. I know extras-devel can brick my device, so I'm trying to avoid devel packages. Is there any way to install these 3 apps without adding devel repository to App. manager?

Here's the steps I tried:
1) Downloaded packages via maemo.org/packages/ and irreco.garage.maemo.org
2) Tried opening them with File manager - No luck.
3) Tried sudo gainroot, then sudo dpkg -i packagename_here.deb - It didnt do anything.

So, is there any other way?

maxximuscool 2009-12-17 01:58

Re: How can I install devel apps without repository?

sudo localinstall appName

---------

for my YDL i used: sudo yum localinstall appname
does this work??

fatalsaint 2009-12-17 02:52

instead of sudo dpkg... switch to root using either just "root" or "sudo gainroot" and then navigate to the deb files and "dpkg -i quakeIII.deb" or whatever the filename is..

Aranel 2009-12-17 05:20

Thanks maxximuscool and fatalsaint =) localinstall didnt work for me, said sth about /bin/sh , but just dpkg (without sudo) works.

Anyway, i still cant get irreco to work, 'cause of libsoup, it seems i'll add devel repository.

jaem 2009-12-17 06:08

To clarify, extras-devel isn't guaranteed to brick your device, but there's every possibility that it will at any given time. Also note that it's unlikely (but not impossible?) anything in there will actually damage your device - it might just need a reflash. We used to have extras and extras-devel. The problem was that anything that wasn't ready for primetime, but was still reasonably safe got shoved in extras-devel, and then all the newbies would read about some cool beta apps, go add the repo, and then forget to disable it. Then, when they updated, all sorts of apps in stages of development ranging from "a bit buggy" to "kills kittens" would get installed, leading to a lot of complaints and general unhappiness. This issue was talked out last year in the community, and lead to what we have now. Extras is safe. Extras-testing is not guaranteed to work properly, but should be reasonably safe as well, and is intended for developers to get feedback from early adopters. Extras-devel is essentially just a mish-mash of whatever people need to throw into a repo, and may work, or be horribly broken.
Thus, extras-devel is not something you should use unless you know what you're doing, and have no other option. However, if you absolutely must install something from it, then add the repo, install the app, and disable/remove the repo immediately. If that app happens to do Bad Things, tough luck, but the bigger danger is leaving it enabled, as the updater just checks for a higher version number, not for some label designating if the app is stable or not.

To get back to your original question, both the App Manager, and the command line tool apt-get automatically resolve dependencies. Dependencies are, well, things that the app depends on. For example, if lots of apps need some particular mathematical calculation, then someone will code that, and other apps will just tell the App Manager that they need that bit of code as well. By not bundling everything all together, you can save a lot of space, however, you have to install all the dependencies before you can install the app you want. dpkg installs one or more specified packages from local files, but doesn't do the resolution step for you. If you try to install something with dpkg, it will tell you what else it needs (e.g. libsoup). To do things the hard way, you would then go find libsoup, try to install it, and if it needs something else, just repeat. This is what people used to have to do "In the Old Days", and was referred to as Dependency Hell. So essentially, your only easy option in this case is to add the repo. I know how tempting it is to try all the latest and greatest apps before they're ready, but the thing is -- they're not ready yet. If you've read all this, and you want to try it, we won't stop you, but if you break something and can't figure out how to fix it, you're likely to get a "told you so" response.
Cheers,

Rob1n 2009-12-17 09:17

If you really want the apps, just add the repositories, install the apps, then disable the repositories.

ewan 2009-12-17 09:39

A fudamental point that seems to be being missed here is that it's not the repository that risks causing problems, it's the apps in it. If you install the same apps by another route you're just as much at risk.

pelago 2009-12-17 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewan (Post 431613)
A fudamental point that seems to be being missed here is that it's not the repository that risks causing problems, it's the apps in it. If you install the same apps by another route you're just as much at risk.

Exactly what I was going to say. extras-devel is just a place for (potentially) dangerous apps. The danger comes from the apps themselves.

Aranel 2009-12-17 10:26

Yeah, I know I have to find out dependencies, It's already same on my Ubuntu. But It seems I cant get libsoup to work, tried installing all (-dev and 2.2, 2.4 packages) but no luck.

It seems extras-devel doesnt work well for me either, b/c of this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37494

fatalsaint 2009-12-17 15:28

I'm a little curious (slight thread hijack):

Every time I see someone mention extras-devel it comes with the "kills kittens" warning (which is fine)... and like jaem said the problem isn't necessarily the app the user wants from extras-devel, but accidentally updating the entire device from extras-devel. If someone see's a post on here about XYZ app that a bunch of people are using it without problems.. for the most part (barring oddly unique things with their device) they are fine to also install that app from devel.

I assume, since Maemo 5 uses apt and is debian based, that it supports Pinning? Why hasn't anyone written a how-to for enabling testing and devel.. and then using pinning so that the maemo and extras repos take higher priority than testing and devel? This should, I think, prevent the device from trying to update/upgrade everything - and for packages that are in 2 or 3 of extras, extras-testing, and extras-devel, requires the user to install by hand, with a special command. Or does the built-in App Manager not support pinning and recommend you update anyway?

I'm just curious.