maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   [Solved, kind of] N900 not vibrating (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93856)

Malakai 2014-09-15 11:31

[Solved, kind of] N900 not vibrating

Hello,

I recently observed that my N900 stoped vibrating when it receives a call or when it should normally.

I think that the piece of hardware that is doing the vibration is broken, but I want to be sure of it.

Could it be software related? I have a script that I use to test the vibration and when I execute it I get a pitching sound but no vibration.

Code:

#!/bin/bash

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_vibrator_pattern_activate string:PatternIncomingCall

The last software modification I did was to install the CSSU Stable update, nothing more.

If it is hardware related, is it hard to replace that part?

Thank you.

Obsidian 2014-09-15 13:01

Re: N900 not vibrating

I had the same problem once. I searched here and found the suggestion to knock on the backcover or shake the phone. I disassembled the phone and found quite some piece of housedust that prevented the vibrator from rotating.

txus 2014-09-15 13:48

The solution/workaround for me was a combination of both of your solutions. The high pitched noise is the vibrator trying to move, but something's in the way, so:

1. make it try to vibrate the whole time with the dbus command, and
2. knock it and shake it while it is trying to move.

Hope this solves it!

P.S.: I'm pretty sure I read this procedure somewhere in the forum, just don't ask me where... Bottom line: Credit is not mine!

nokiabot 2014-09-15 14:17

Oh god without that vivrator your life is gonna be miserable like hell :eek: quick open up the device and and clean it dont force the vivrator via dbus its dedicate:p and you will get the same pleasure using it as you always had ;)

Malakai 2014-09-15 15:47

@Obsidian and @txus

:eek: that worked....

While it was trying to vibrate I kicked the back of the N900 and it started vibrating again :)

Didn't thought of that as a solution, but thank you both.

Even if the problem is fixed I think that I should get a new phone, this one is kind of old (with some little problems) and slow... anyone knows when should the donations for the Neo900 stop? I would like to donate but I can't right now.

Wikiwide 2014-09-15 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakai (Post 1439305)
Even if the problem is fixed I think that I should get a new phone, this one is kind of old (with some little problems) and slow... anyone knows when should the donations for the Neo900 stop? I would like to donate but I can't right now.

Quick reply...
Not sure when will the pre-orders/donations stop. Maybe, around December? Or February?
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo900@IRC
<Xseba360> hey guys, is Neo900 still scheduled for Q4 this year?
<Nokiabot> Xseba360:it seems february
<DocScrutinizer05> Xseba360: no way we still manage it for Q4
<DocScrutinizer05> realistically we're at Q2/2015 meanwhile
<DocScrutinizer05> sorry our website is still quoting Q4/2014
<Nokiabot> @Doc you somewhere told estimated feb ?
<DocScrutinizer05> Nokiabot: I told there's no way to be any earlier than February, no matter what we do
<DocScrutinizer05> but that assumed basically zero time for proto_V3
<DocScrutinizer05> realistically proto_V3 will take us months
<DocScrutinizer05> 2 maybe
<DocScrutinizer05> maybe 3 or 4
<DocScrutinizer05> and I dunno if Nik's available time gets any better soon

Thank you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Malakai 2014-09-16 07:48

Thank you for the info.

I think I could make a donation at the end of october, hope it will not be too late.