maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Application package not found (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49873)

Siellus 2010-04-13 00:32

Application package not found

Hey all, I'm new here

On top of that, I'm very new to linux too. I can imagine most of you rolling your eyes knowing what to expect from this post already :P but here it goes.

I recently tried to install a game on the phone (N900 ofcourse) using the Ovi store, I thought "Why not just give it a try." so as I installed it, I saw that an error showed up with "application package not found" which I thought was odd, but then realised that there is absolutely nothing on my application manager (no applications available, and my catalogues have everything but maemo.org enabled) Which is new considering that there was a lot of stuff there before the previous firmware update.

As you can imagine, I am about as fluent with the Terminal X application as any newby is to Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

N901 2010-04-13 05:44

Re: Application package not found

reinstall image

armaan1 2010-04-13 07:42

hi every1, even im facing the same error, and not able to download from Maemo only ? file not found ? can sum1 help us ?

noobmonkey 2010-04-13 08:10

Hi Alls....

Armaan1 - is there a more detailed error? File not found sounds different to application package not found....

Siellus - which game are you trying to download?

Don't worry we are all new at some point :D

Siellus 2010-04-13 16:36

Hey I managed to get it working!
However I still want to learn more about Coding with Linux and X terminal.

Anywho, how I got it to work. (Armaan see if this helps you)

Go to your application manager.

Go to Application Catalogues.

and Disable Ovi.

It should Refresh and when it does, it should come up with all the updates and you should be able to install whatever it is you got from Ovi store.

Secondly, Why I want to get more into Linux coding, well it's simple, the Ovi store has almost nothing in it, the most popular game is coin toss. :P. and theres a lot more in the Maemo community. I am Very aware that a lot of the stuff there will probably break my phone, but I'm also aware that a lot of the stuff there might actually be worth checking out (Via discussions)

however, I do not know the starting point. How do I get to know terminal? I'm afraid to try via trial and error because error in this case could mean erasing my OS off my phone :P. So I want to know what I'm doing before I push the wrong buttons.

any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

arne.anka 2010-04-13 17:08

if you stay away from extras-devel, you should be rather safe.
as for browsing the packages w/o app manager:
for all packages, the tool is
apt-get
which knows a lot of parameters.
for local (installed or downloaded) packages only is
dpkg

for anything above browsing the packages, you'll need root access.
install
rootsh
and read the relevant sections at eg
http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

to start with apt-get, you need only three options:

apt-get search foo
apt-get show foo
apt-get install foo

search will search package names and descriptions for the term foo.
show will display the package information for the package named foo.
install will install the package named foo.
with all three you cann add more than one term/package name.

to update the database of available packages, you need to do

apt-get update

inet connection required, of course.
to upgrade installed packages, do

apt-get upgrade

again, inet connection required.
packages downloaded with apt-get usually live in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and have the extension .deb.
it may be a good idea once in a while, to do

apt-get clean

to empty that directory, since you usually will not need those files after installation anymore.

manually downloaded packages (with the extension .deb and prepared for maemo!) can be viewed with

dpkg -I foo.deb

which will display the package's information
and can be installed with

dpkg -i foo.deb

where foo.deb is the full name of the package file.
if anything goes wrong and you need to ask for help, include the output of

dpkg -C

that will only print information about the state of the packages, ie if everything is installed ok or soem packages are not installed correctly.
since
dpkg
will not calculate dependencies, it's likely that you will get error messages when installing manually downloaded packages.
read those messages carefully, usually the contain all information needed to resolve the issue (notably the names of missing packages the one you are about to install depends upon).
you could try to do

apt-get -f install

which attempts to solve installation errors, either by installing missing packages or by uninstalling the offending package.

manually you can uninstall a package by either

apt-get --purge remove foo

or

dpkg --purge foo

which will in both cases remove _everything_ belonging to that package (incl config files).
uninstalling packages may leave now unnecessary packages installed (installed to satisfy dependencies of a now uninstalled package).
try

apt-get autoremove

and read the messages and list of packages to uninstall carefully.
if you got a file you want to know the package for, do

dpkg -S /path/to/file

remember, that is only to get you started and may, if done too boldly, destroy your system and force you to re-flash!
apt-get search and apt-get show are non-destructive and do not require root access, the other could potentially harm your installation.

vinni3winni3 2010-04-13 17:17

i open app manager and it said operation fail...someone help

Siellus 2010-04-14 18:27

What exactly is Extras-Devel? Is it the Maemo.org catalogue on the app manager? If so, then that's unfortunate, because thats the only place where theres stuff worth downloading.
I mean, I want to install things like quake and other apps, but I dont know exactly what steps I need to take to do so.

(I like to know what to expect before I do something)

EDIT: Well I learned that extras is reasonably safe to use (through extensive researching) Pretty cool stuff on here.

arne.anka 2010-04-14 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinni3winni3 (Post 608951)
i open app manager and it said operation fail...someone help

not without useful information.
what _exactly_ did you do and where appears the message?

Siellus 2010-04-14 19:02

Hey Arne, I just installed Recaller, however I can't find where it is. Is there a way I can find out?

Nvm just found it via widget :P