maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23677)

mgoebel 2008-09-17 21:08

Video of Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5

OK, the upload has finished but Youtube is still transcoding the video. It will appear here:

http://www.youtube.com/areamobile

I also got this code for embedding:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-PRVkUe5tzE"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-PRVkUe5tzE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

speculatrix 2008-09-17 22:37

Re: Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 224628)
I would LOVE to see a multifunction card slot that supported various accessories, such as cell modems, WiMAX modems, etc. But when I first threw that out here wayyyy back when I was amazed at the opposition. Some people don't want expandability. Wow.

with the CF slot in the Zaurus, which allowed wifi, bluetooth, POTS modem, gprs/gsm, ethernet, CF and microdrive, I/O cards etc, the Zaurus would probably never have become such a cult classic. It's clear the zaurus developers never anticipated that the CF slot would give their product such versatility!
Not only that, more recent models had a mini-A usb socket so you could plug in digital cameras, keyboards etc without needing funky adaptors!

if the tablet isn't going to gain a CF slot, which is unlikely, at the very least fit a useful USB socket with sufficient power to drive a 3g usb modem, PLEASE. Otherwise, as people have asked innumerably, a docking connector would be ideal... model it on single lane PCIe or something, add usb pass through and video pass through!
At present the tablet is very much an appliance, but it could be so much more.

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-17 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by speculatrix (Post 224794)
Not only that, more recent models had a mini-A usb socket so you could plug in digital cameras, keyboards etc without needing funky adaptors!

OTG is a standard, there's nothing funky about it. Besides, you can handle the switching software-side if you want.

Quote:

if the tablet isn't going to gain a CF slot, which is unlikely, at the very least fit a useful USB socket with sufficient power to drive a 3g usb modem, PLEASE.

This is stupid, 500mA at 5v, say hello to no battery life.

Quote:

Otherwise, as people have asked innumerably, a docking connector would be ideal... model it on single lane PCIe or something, add usb pass through and video pass through!

OMAP3 doesn't support PCI.

Benson 2008-09-17 22:58

USB and TV/VGA output, though, would be manageable; the only question that immediately occurs to me is "Why?". Why output these signals in a non-standard dock connector? It doesn't seem like much is gained over a standard USB connector (as used now), and some adjacent connector for the video, with the option of making a molded double-plug for an all-in-one cable if Nokia does make one. That way you don't have to use some special adapter just to get at those signals.

brontide 2008-09-17 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 224638)
That one cracks me up.

Yet more incentive to redouble my efforts to get every piece of closed-source software on the platform either opened or replaced (see Advanced Backlight ;)).

I would be happy if they just started fixing the BUGS and documenting those interfaces since they are the only ones who can.

speculatrix 2008-09-17 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 224799)
OTG is a standard, there's nothing funky about it. Besides, you can handle the switching software-side if you want.
This is stupid, 500mA at 5v, say hello to no battery life.
OMAP3 doesn't support PCI.

ok, use a 3G modem with its own battery pack. or, why not have a bluetooth 3G modem in the same form as a bluetooth GPS. besides, 3g modems are getting more efficient, so lets set the limit to say 150mA?

it doesn't have to be PCIe-x1, it just needs to be fast enough to allow you to add more than just a mass storage device or a serial adaptor sort of thing (gprs/3g modem), e.g. video adaptor wotsit.

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-17 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by speculatrix (Post 224804)
ok, use a 3G modem with its own battery pack. or, why not have a bluetooth 3G modem in the same form as a bluetooth GPS. besides, 3g modems are getting more efficient, so lets set the limit to say 150mA?

Because that's not a standard and it doesn't work like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speculatrix (Post 224804)
it doesn't have to be PCIe-x1, it just needs to be fast enough to allow you to add more than just a mass storage device or a serial adaptor sort of thing (gprs/3g modem), e.g. video adaptor wotsit.

Proprietary is bad (lame proprietary docking port). Standards are good (USB).

Jaffa 2008-09-17 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoebel (Post 224747)
On the conference floor I heard that someone from Nokia has asked for permission to present a board prototype of this 5th generation of Maemo device at the Maemo summit next Friday here in Berlin. I hope that's true and try to be there. Maybe they are refering to Nokia's Yannick Pellet who will give a "sneak preview" this Friday.

AIUI, the "Sneak Preview" is a demo of the capabilities of a Beagleboard. It won't be running anything like Fremantle (according to Quim this evening, it basically doesn't really exist in any real form yet) and is just a demo of what the hardware announced today will be capable of.

Benson 2008-09-17 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 224805)
Because that's not a standard and it doesn't work like that.

What's not a standard about it? In my understanding, nothing in the standard prevents having a USB-OTG device capable of sourcing 150 mA, although sourcing more than 100mA does require holding the voltage tighter (+/- 5% out to the maximum current, just like a normal USB host).

dafrabbit 2008-09-17 23:22

Ah, finally, someone brings up the topic I'm most interested in. There was so much talk today about "Maemo 5" in terms of the hardware...what kinds of news do we have about "Maemo 5" in terms of software? In fact, I was under the impression that "Maemo" had to deal with the OS of the tablets rather than anything hardware related at all? What's the deal here?