maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M5] [Announce] Yappari - A WhatsApp Client for the N900 ONLY (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84605)

Scorpius 2012-05-30 21:54

[Announce] Yappari - A WhatsApp Client for the N900 ONLY

4 Attachment(s)
LATEST VERSION: 1.1.51

REBOOT YOUR PHONE AFTER INSTALLING YAPPARI!!!!

READ ALL THIS POST BEFORE EVEN ATTEMPTING INSTALLING THIS APPLICATION

UPDATE 11/16/2014 Yappari 1.1.51.

NO LOG, NO HELP. IF YOU WANT HELP PROVIDE A LOG

Log is located @ /home/user/.config/scorpius/yappari.log
Since it is hidden you might need a special application like FileBox to get it if you don't like to use xterm.

I've decided to share with you all a Whatsapp client I've been coding for a while now.

You just need Qt and Qt-Mobility (I guess all N900 already have this installed but just in case)

THIS IS NOT NECESSARY IF YOU ARE INSTALLING YAPPARI FROM THE REPOSITORIES
Code:

apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dbus
apt-get install libqtm-systeminfo libqtm-messaging

The preferred method of upgrading is via Application Manager

Before installing the deb file double check the download was successful:
Code:

$ md5sum yappari_1.1.51_armel.deb
38005708acffc237e1112838cfac56e9  yappari_1.1.51_armel.deb

Here's the deb file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/skp7a0

You can load the client and after it logs in you can close it and it'll run forever in background (you can see it in the status area running). To quit the application select Quit in the menu. If Yappari can't find a connection it waits silently until you have one so you can really "set and forget". Yappari will never force you to connect to the Internet, but it will always connect to the servers if you have a connection.

Yappari is event based so if your client is idle then it does absolutely nothing (no threads, no while(1) loops, etc). This is to maximize battery.

The first time you run the application you have to type your phone number and country code. Don't type any leading zeroes in those.

I think it's pretty usable.

We can continue the development depending on the feedback (that is depending on YOU).

sifo 2012-05-30 22:03

Re: [Announce] Yappari - A WhatsApp client for the N900 ONLY

thanks man i'll give it a try ;)

patlak 2012-05-30 22:13

Screenshots would be nice when announcing an application.

Scorpius 2012-05-30 22:23

Ok, I uploaded a couple of screenshots.... :rolleyes:

imo 2012-05-30 22:33

great work ,was just wondering if you could upload it to repos .Will test it asap .i believe whatsapp far cry has been done finally .cool

Scorpius 2012-05-30 22:37

To upload it to the repos the software need to be Open Source (since the source code will be exposed) and so far I'm not sure it's a good idea, at least until I can release a decent version. As I said in the first post, this is pretty alpha.

sifo 2012-05-30 22:46

@Scorpius

mine failed to connect ! and i have that libs you mention at the first post !

imo 2012-05-30 22:49

u mind telling us what is needed to use this client?
One simply has to install the deb and dependencies or is there anything additional needed?
Like java etc?

Scorpius 2012-05-30 22:50

@sifo, are you a current user of the Java Whatsapp port? This release is only for people that have been using the Java port successfully.

@imo, you need to be a current user of the Java Whatsapp port. I don't think you need the dependencies there should be already installed on the phone, I put it there just in case.

Yappari is a native application (90% Qt, 10% GLIB) so you shouldn't need anything else.

malkavian 2012-05-30 22:54

First, thank you for so great job ;)

You said it doesn't support synchronization but that it add contacts in international format. So... I'm confused. I don't want to sync my phonebook because I don't want to give all my phonebook to Whatsapp Inc. Am I safe? Will you implement an option to not sync? It is a must for me.

Could it be used from PC like peterbjornx's Java port? Edit: Ops, just read that it's native for N900, so I suposse that running on PC is not possible now.

I registered with a false IMEI, and I would prefer to mantain that, but maybe I will try your program (if I could change IMEI from peterbjornx's port).

Scorpius 2012-05-30 23:00

@malkavian, I understand your concern, but as far as I've read the Whatsapp implementation, it doesn't "upload" your phonebook to Whatsapp servers. It just checks the availability of your contacts to filter which ones use Whatsapp and which ones don't. This also allows to show the different status of your contacts (some people edit their status).

So far contact synchronization is not implemented so Yappari is showing all your contacts even though they are not Whatsapp users (and I think it's bad like that).

Since you registered with a false IMEI you need to re-register your real IMEI with peterbjornx's port to use Yappari.

peter2p 2012-05-30 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius (Post 1215209)

And remember: ONLY FOR CURRENT USERS OF THE JAVA PORT.

Thx Scorpius for your post
I've been using the java port version for a few days
Installed Yappari and it workes great, does all you mentioned, looking forward to the contact syncronisation

patlak 2012-05-30 23:14

I have a whatsapp registered number. When I open your app, it says "connected" for a split second and disconnects immediately. Solution?

Scorpius 2012-05-30 23:21

@peter2p congrats for being the first successful Yappari user!

@patlak did you register that Whatsapp number using your N900? Because if you registered it using another phone it won't work.

Since I haven't implemented the registration yet you have to register your N900's IMEI using peterbjornx's Java port (link in the first post). You can do it from your PC double-clicking on the jar and selecting "Voice method" without going through the hassle of installing that in the N900 which can be pretty frustrating.

To know your IMEI just dial *#06# in your N900.

malkavian 2012-05-31 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius (Post 1215246)
@malkavian, I understand your concern, but as far as I've read the Whatsapp implementation, it doesn't "upload" your phonebook to Whatsapp servers.

Yes it does. For cheking whatsapp users in your phonebook it needs to send all that data to Whatsapp Inc. servers and it saves all that data and updates it (I supose that every time the program is openned data is resent (so in most mobiles when mobile is rebooted). And that data could be sold. And Whatsapp privacy policy could change without telling about it to the users (wich is ilegal in Spain and maybe in all Europe and other countries). Did you read Whatsapp privacy policy? For me is unaceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius (Post 1215246)
So far contact synchronization is not implemented so Yappari is showing all your contacts even though they are not Whatsapp users (and I think it's bad like that).

Well, then I only have to remove international prefix to the ten contacts I have with it and add it to the contacts I know that have whatsapp. You forgot to reply one of my questions. Will you implement an option to not sync contacts when you implement synchronization? Pleaseee :) (Showing a nice-guy face. XDDD).

Scorpius 2012-05-31 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by malkavian (Post 1215264)
Yes it does. For cheking whatsapp users in your phonebook it needs to send all that data to Whatsapp Inc. servers and it saves all that data and updates it (I supose that every time the program is openned data is resent (so in most mobiles when mobile is rebooted). And that data could be sold. And Whatsapp privacy policy could change without telling about it to the users (wich is ilegal in Spain and maybe in all Europe and other countries). Did you read Whatsapp privacy policy? For me is unaceptable.

OK lemme rephrase:

1.- Client uploads the whole phonebook? Yes.

2.- Whatsapp servers save that data? No, but they could if they want to.

What would you do then if you'd have an Android phone? just not use Whatsapp? I'm sure if you have an Android phone you'd be using it anyway.

Quote:

Well, then I only have to remove international prefix to the ten contacts I have with it and add it to the contacts I know that have whatsapp. You forgot to reply one of my questions. Will you implement an option to not sync contacts when you implement synchronization? Pleaseee :) (Showing a nice-guy face. XDDD).
That will definitely work (removing + sign to the contacts).

Synchronization is part of the protocol, without it, it's incomplete. I don't think I could avoid the sync... (will think about it).

Mohammed Muid 2012-05-31 05:54

i entered my phone number in int format. then it says connecting for a while . then disconnected. i use the java port. infact i still hav it on my phone. the whenever i open yappari. it says at the bottom disconnected

Scorpius 2012-05-31 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid (Post 1215330)
i entered my phone number in int format. then it says connecting for a while . then disconnected. i use the java port. infact i still hav it on my phone. the whenever i open yappari. it says at the bottom disconnected

Did you register your number with your real IMEI using the Java port or you used a fake IMEI?

To get your IMEI dial *#06#

If you forget the IMEI you used for the Java port, type this in your device as user (not root):
Code:

grep IMEI ~/.java/.userPrefs/org/peterbjornx/whatsapp/storage/prefs.xml
are they the same number?

ajack 2012-05-31 06:09

It works... but can you add in a settings for a beep or vibrate when messages come in? Also, it'll be nice if the app can remember our conversations until we choose to clear it. Anyway, thanks again! :)

Scorpius 2012-05-31 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajack (Post 1215337)
It works... but can you add in a settings for a beep or vibrate when messages come in? Also, it'll be nice if the app can remember our conversations until we choose to clear it. Anyway, thanks again! :)

Yup, check the ToDo list in the first post and I think "Notifications" is in the top 3. Also "Chat history" is there. They will be implemented in order.

Since the Java port can't be used to register anymore (it fails with reg/req/code/sms/fail-old-version) I think I'm gonna implement registration first so everybody can use the app.

freemangordon 2012-05-31 06:12

@Scorpius - just some random thoughts: AIUI(judging from the system menu plugin) this is a standalone application not integrated with n900 messaging system. But AFAIK Qt plugin could be integrated with it without much of a hassle. Is there anything (besides your decision to share your watsapp test application in the state it is so far) preventing such an integration.

Note: I am not using/will not use Watsapp and not really interested in the way it will develop.

Scorpius 2012-05-31 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1215340)
@Scorpius - just some random thoughts: AIUI(judging from the system menu plugin) this is a standalone application not integrated with n900 messaging system. But AFAIK Qt plugin could be integrated with it without much of a hassle. Is there anything (besides your decision to share your watsapp test application in the state it is so far) preventing such an integration.

Note: I am not using/will not use Watsapp and not really interested in the way it will develop.

I really tried that at the beginning but I found a couple of obstacles:

- Telepathy-Qt4 can only be used to implement clients (another "Conversation" app) and not IM protocols.

- You would only be able to implement basic messaging. No Whatsapp smileys, no thumbnails when you receive multimedia messages, etc. Nothing of the sort can be rendendered using Conversations.

There were more but I can't remember.

Verssetti 2012-05-31 06:53

very nice job @Scorpius i posted ur api in spanish in phonesfera ;)

DerCommander 2012-05-31 06:55

Hi,

i just wanted to inform that installation and logging in went fine for me.
Many thanks for this client and i hope there are enough interested users so that you continue the development !!! :)

Regarding the contacts list: Since i store several numbers for each contact (landline, mobile, etc) these contacts are listed several times with their names when creating a chat.
I know which contacts use Whatsapp and that they use their mobile numbers, so the contact sync is not that important by now.
But is there already a way to find out which number i took when i select a contact name? Otherwise i would need to send a message to all numbers of a contact and see from where i get an answer ;)

ahmadamaj 2012-05-31 07:02

what would happen if i had registered for whatsapp from Nitdroid on my n900?

Scorpius 2012-05-31 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerCommander (Post 1215354)
But is there already a way to find out which number i took when i select a contact name? Otherwise i would need to send a message to all numbers of a contact and see from where i get an answer ;)

Same thing happens to me for some contacts, but I decided to leave it like that since the contact synchronization will automatically fix that (and I hope to implement it soon...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmadamaj (Post 1215357)
what would happen if i had registered for whatsapp from Nitdroid on my n900?

Good question... I'm not sure if the Android Whatsapp client has the very same encryption method of the IMEI. Anyway the worse that could happen is that you can't log in with Yappari, but you would still be able to login with Nitdroid just fine. Try it and tell us what happens.

Mohammed Muid 2012-05-31 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius (Post 1215331)
Did you register your number with your real IMEI using the Java port or you used a fake IMEI?

To get your IMEI dial *#06#

If you forget the IMEI you used for the Java port, type this in your device as user (not root):
Code:

grep IMEI ~/.java/.userPrefs/org/peterbjornx/whatsapp/storage/prefs.xml
are they the same number?

yes they are the same

naru 2012-05-31 08:48

hey i am having poblem i used java port some days ago after i removed i have also lumia 800 i am using whats app in lumia now again today i installed java port again but now i cant login or not abel to register with my imei after i tryed my brother phones imei ...

my brother using 5233 i installed whatsapp in 5233 i puted my mobile number in 5233 after veryfication code i recived on my n900 that code i puted in java port with 5233 imei remember i puted 5233 imei not my n900 imei after java port now working wth 5233 imei but yapperi not conect and i cant register with my n900 imei everytime unknow error comes

i cant use whatsjava port with my n900 imei but if i use any other divice imei its working i dont know what i do

Wreck 2012-05-31 08:50

Excellent port and working fine. Thanks!

naru 2012-05-31 08:57

any other way to register my imei in java port everything i doned i just login with 5233 my brother imei but not abel to use my n900 imei thats why yappari not working

Wreck 2012-05-31 09:18

It seems I can't add all of my contacts to Yappari. Or do all the phone numbers need the country prefix? In my case +31.

Edit: Yes you need the prefix.

tgalal 2012-05-31 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius (Post 1215209)
ONLY FOR CURRENT USERS OF THE PETERBJORNX'S JAVA PORT.
so you have to make this work first: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83827

NOTE: THIS IS *VERY* ALPHA SOFTWARE though you'd find it's pretty usable.

While we wait for Wazzap to hit the N900 I've decided to share with you all a Whatsapp client I've been coding for a while now.

It's "Wazapp" :P

gng554 2012-05-31 15:21

thanks alot man :D

had to change all my contacts number to international format in order for the application to work

now it works like a charm!!!

all that it needs now is notifications :)

again thanks for your work

Wreck 2012-05-31 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by gng554 (Post 1215529)

had to change all my contacts number to international format in order for the application to work

And saving the history of messages ^^

Scorpius 2012-05-31 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by naru (Post 1215393)
any other way to register my imei in java port everything i doned i just login with 5233 my brother imei but not abel to use my n900 imei thats why yappari not working

The Java port can't register IMEIs anymore it fails with failed-old-version.

I guess you'd have to wait until I implement the registration in Yappari...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gng554 (Post 1215529)

Thanks! You'd have to do that in Whatsapp too (fixing all your contacts).

Notifications and persistence (chat history) are coming, don't worry.

Mohammed Muid 2012-05-31 18:01

my one says its connecting then connected and then again disconnected. any1 plz help me

Wreck 2012-05-31 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid (Post 1215595)
my one says its connecting then connected and then again disconnected. any1 plz help me

Did you register through either an Android phone or through the Java Whatsapp port?

Scorpius 2012-05-31 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid (Post 1215595)

I sent you a private message yesterday about it :confused:

optional106 2012-05-31 18:40

Thank you, awesome work!
Messaging and working great for Alpha stage.
message Indicators working, but with no saved message history ( i.e. messages lost after closing chat window ) its kind of like instant mesaging at the moment.

Still its great, and hope message history can be improved in Beta

Mohammed Muid 2012-05-31 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreck (Post 1215603)
Did you register through either an Android phone or through the Java Whatsapp port?

java port. i still have it installed and works fine