maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Atrix 4G docking capabilities. Is it possible on N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67945)

Amusegt1 2011-01-06 09:52

Atrix 4G docking capabilities. Is it possible on N900?

Just saw this on engadget. The new motorola atrix 4g was announced at CES. It has the ability to dock with hdmi/usb and act like a pc.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/m...dock-hands-on/

I would love to see something like this for the N900. I originally thought about integrating the n900 with a larger touch screen but that didnt seem possible at the time. With USB hosting now working, is this possible to do?

Kamen 2011-01-06 10:09

Re: Atrix 4G docking capabilities. Is it possible on N900?

I think it already is lol . Althought the HDMI is out the question, it'll have to be composite (Yellow, Red, White) for the video which I think all compisite connectors only put out 640 x 800 because of some reason I think that could be 576p or maybe I'm getting things mixed up.

As for the USB hosting maybe if there could be some form of adaptor to allow 4 usb devices to be plugged in (Obviously with a external power supply for the USB expansion)

As for the keyboard and mouse I'm sure you can connect a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to the phone too.

The only main problem you'll have is the terrible resolution.

retsaw 2011-01-06 10:20

I think there are a few USB monitors (maybe with touchscreens) and USB graphics cards that work under Linux, so I guess it would be possible.

Kamen 2011-01-06 11:30

Yes USB monitors are avalible but then you have the problem of getting the screen to work with the n900 (Drivers) so that would be a massive hastle. Not being a dick or anything but, I can't see no one going through all that trouble just for one person who may not buy the monitor..? If it was high demand then maybe a yes.

retsaw 2011-01-06 11:39

That is the beauty of open source, you have the source code so you don't need to rely on the manufacturers to port the drivers to the N900, you can do it yourself. I personally wouldn't bother because the N900 is quite underpowered compared to a netbook, so I might as well just use my netbook or something else when I need the extra screen space and it will be faster and a lot less hassle to set up too. But some people like doing things just because they can, this can be done if anybody wants to put the work into doing it.

Amusegt1 2011-01-06 12:29

agreed, What I really liked about that atrix setup was that when connected to an external screen/keyboard. it ran a different UI, that was also capable of running a full web browser with flash support. I guess the N900 doesnt have the horsepower to do that. I still love my phone, but after seeing the atrix setup. Its something i've always wanted/dreamed of. Having an all in one device. Hopefully Nokia will release something soon. I know they have been working on something similar since they displayed terminal mode with volkswagen.

Having a dock on my nightstand while the phone is charging, kind of like the Sony dash.

Then taking it to my car dock. then to work as my pc/desktop. A true all in one device. That can also dock to my tv to display HD movies. Have all your digital content available 24/7 in your pocket.

cenwesi 2011-01-06 13:22

The Atrix seems to be the best phone so far. Not even the LG Optimux 2x can touch it unless they come out with a docking station of some sort. I am now leaning more toward the Atrix.

PS: Is Nokia even at CES? Is Meego even still possible this year with all???

mikec 2011-01-06 13:22

N8 doing it without a dock

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...I-out_opti.php

Amusegt1 2011-01-06 13:40

The N8 isnt functioning as a pc though. I guess the atrix is the next step up from that. I'm hoping the next Nokia Meego device will make this come all together. The biggest negative to me, is the atrix is on AT&T. I'm hoping for a T-mobile version, but T-mobile keeps getting the crappy Cliqs.

tzsm98 2011-01-06 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenwesi (Post 913184)
The Atrix seems to be the best phone so far. Not even the LG Optimux 2x can touch it unless they come out with a docking station of some sort. I am now leaning more toward the Atrix.

PS: Is Nokia even at CES? Is Meego even still possible this year with all???

Nokia is at CES. From what I've read Nokia are using a diffuse approach to CES rather than a booth focused approach. They have their devices showing off at other exhibitor's booths. Nokia Conversations has some information of Nokia at CES.